[Speculation] Report: Jeremy Swayman’s Contract Demands Skyrocketing

1 hour ago, RomanPer said:

Good on Boston to stick to their guns and not give in to inflated demands. And Whitney's reaction is not a surprise - he has proven during the last playoffs that he's been hit in a head one too many times.

He may have indeed taken one too many shots to his noggin but his livelihood now is dependant on wild opinions  like this. Podcasts don’t survive or prosper with reasoned, balanced, sane takes. Regardless of the topic, the measure of a good podcaster is to take an extreme position and stick to it with as much vigour as they can muster. It’s about stirring the shit more than discussing the merits of a position. IMO!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

He may have indeed taken one too many shots to his noggin but his livelihood now is dependant on wild opinions  like this. Podcasts don’t survive or prosper with reasoned, balanced, sane takes. Regardless of the topic, the measure of a good podcaster is to take an extreme position and stick to it with as much vigour as they can muster. It’s about stirring the shit more than discussing the merits of a position. IMO!

If only Vancouver media would remember that they’re not strictly podcasters! 

• Cheers 1

On 8/27/2024 at 9:19 PM, Sell.the.team said:

Boston overplayed their hand by trading Ull before signing Sway. 

I would dump Swayman. I'm absolutely tired of these people. Dak Prescott just signed for $60 mil a season and he's a shite qb. In what world is he worth 800 times as much as any other hard working person? And we wonder why people are starving.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 2:30 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe Boston you should have figured what you were doing with your goalies before making a trade? 

Yes. They ought to have spoken to each other’s agents and realize who would sign to a more palatable contract before trading one of them away!

• Cheers 1

On 8/30/2024 at 1:24 AM, N4ZZY said:

Easy decision for me. If Demko can't physically continue to hold up, then handing him out large amounts of money is a no-go for me. Can't pay a goalie that much money only for him to be sitting on the sidelines. No thanks. That cap is better used elsewhere with a more durable goaltender, even if that goalie is less elite than Demko. I'm saying this, and I'm a huge Demko fan. 

Yeah, he looks done. Gotta figure this out or we're going nowhere. Unless of course they're trolling everyone.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 9/4/2024 at 2:38 PM, RWJC said:

Hot gossip from the old ladies at the hair salon…

Bruins Rumors: Boston Hasn't Returned Swayman's Calls In 3 Weeks

Dave Litman Wednesday, September 04, 2024 

Lots of questions around the league as to why the Boston Bruins haven't get gotten restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman's name on a new contract yet. We know that the B's new solo No. 1 man between the pipes was—rightfully—asking for a hefty raise, some wild rumors even had it as much as a $10 million AAV ask. 

Now we might be learning why a deal hasn't yet been struck, as the Rumor Boys on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast have dropped word that the Bruins have been offering four years at a $6.2 million AAV. 

"That is not even on the same planet(as what Swayman wants)," said Ray Whitney. "That is so far away... And apparently, the Bruins have not contacted or returned Swayman's calls in three weeks!"

And the fact that Boston went out and traded the other half of their star goalie tandem, Linus Ullmark, before getting Swayman wrapped up, and then low-balling him, leaves Whitney flabbergasted. 

"If their offer is 4 years, $6.2 after you've traded your other stud goalie, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. That's insane. That's crazy."

Swayman essentially took over the top gig in the Bruins crease during last year's playoffs, starting 12 of the team's 13 postseason games. He had another strong season and is clearly one of the top young goalies in the league, but because he didn't choose arbitration this summer, he doesn't have a lot of leverage. 

But then again, neither do the Bruins after they traded Ullmark. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/09/bruins-rumors-boston-hasnt-returned.html

Ray Whitney is a dbag. 

That is all.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Sounds like Swayman's experience going through arbitration has taught him not to get pushed around in his next contract negotiation. Boston simply assumed he will follow the 'Boston model' and take a discount to stay long term. Maybe it's the team's turn to educate themselves that this is no longer happening.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 9/8/2024 at 5:03 PM, Gawdzukes said:

I would dump Swayman. I'm absolutely tired of these people. Dak Prescott just signed for $60 mil a season and he's a shite qb. In what world is he worth 800 times as much as any other hard working person? And we wonder why people are starving.

Worst part is, when you hear athletes speak about salaries on tv shows, they actually believe the hype themselves...

yeah they are worth this and that... utter garbage... 

At least by having a salary cap it keeps it somewhat in check. 

i agree with you 100% on this... give these muppets a 7-5 job and see what they think they are worth then. 
Its like hearing stockbrokers etc speaking in the city, just because they got a bit lucky. 
stuck up bastards...

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Worst part is, when you hear athletes speak about salaries on tv shows, they actually believe the hype themselves...

yeah they are worth this and that... utter garbage... 

At least by having a salary cap it keeps it somewhat in check. 

i agree with you 100% on this... give these muppets a 7-5 job and see what they think they are worth then. 
Its like hearing stockbrokers etc speaking in the city, just because they got a bit lucky. 
stuck up bastards...

The CAP guaranttees revenue sharing with the players. Sure there are flaws. How the GM's distributes that CAP determines competitiveness IMHO. The unknown is the player performance after the contracts are signed. Teams can buyout underperforming players but there is a charge against the CAP which is fair to their competitors who don't make the same mistakes. I think this system is sound. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The CAP guaranttees revenue sharing with the players. Sure there are flaws. How the GM's distributes that CAP determines competitiveness IMHO. The unknown is the player performance after the contracts are signed. Teams can buyout underperforming players but there is a charge against the CAP which is fair to their competitors who don't make the same mistakes. I think this system is sound. 

This is exactly, what I was saying... having a cap keeps the contracts somewhat under control... 

GMs decides how to distribute the wealth, but the fact everyone needs a slice of the cake keeps a lid on it from going totally bananas...

As for players performances there are never going to be any guarantee of players living up to the hype, and often doesn't, hence its even more important to try and keep a lid on it.

I've followed United for most of my long life and have never seen such waste of money, as they have been 'giving away' over the last decade. Don't know, if you pay much attention to British football (soccer), but players like Antony and Sancho are great symbols of total waste and massive over payments... yet when you hear folks speak about players salaries, its almost as if anyone, who can kick a ball, should be showered in gold... does my head in...

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

This is exactly, what I was saying... having a cap keeps the contracts somewhat under control... 

GMs decides how to distribute the wealth, but the fact everyone needs a slice of the cake keeps a lid on it from going totally bananas...

As for players performances there are never going to be any guarantee of players living up to the hype, and often doesn't, hence its even more important to try and keep a lid on it.

I've followed United for most of my long life and have never seen such waste of money, as they have been 'giving away' over the last decade. Don't know, if you pay much attention to British football (soccer), but players like Antony and Sancho are great symbols of total waste and massive over payments... yet when you hear folks speak about players salaries, its almost as if anyone, who can kick a ball, should be showered in gold... does my head in...

Doesn't the NFL have a option to walk away from underperforming players? Not sure. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Doesn't the NFL have a option to walk away from underperforming players? Not sure. 

Yes, the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts. That's why a lot of them have a chunk of money that's allotted that gets paid even if they terminate the contract. 

Guaranteed contracts in the NHL would probably be the hill that the NHLPA will die on before they give it up. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I'm not sure amigo, as I don't follow these sports too closely...

Only get going, when I see the kind of numbers flying around in sports...

They may have, but I'd be surprised, if you can tell a player, he won't be paid for the contract he signed. 

PS. Sorry just saw Ghosts answer... Cheers

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes, the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts. That's why a lot of them have a chunk of money that's allotted that gets paid even if they terminate the contract. 

Guaranteed contracts in the NHL would probably be the hill that the NHLPA will die on before they give it up. 

does that mean a player might not be paid the money he signed for, and who determines what it takes to live up the contract?

I'm just curious amigo, as I don't know, how it works...

Just now, spook007 said:

does that mean a player might not be paid the money he signed for, and who determines what it takes to live up the contract?

I'm just curious amigo, as I don't know, how it works...

It's understandable from the team's point of view, because all it takes is one bad hit, and your career is done. 

So Player X gets a 4 year $100 million dollar deal. Of the $100 million the agent negotiates $60 million is guaranteed. 

Player X is a receiver.  In year one, he catches a ball in the end zone, and gets hit by two defenders. And his back gets messed up.

He plays in year 2 and he struggles badly. The team can end his contact, but he still gets the $60 million. But loses out on the $40 million. 

I'm less clear on how the $60 million will be paid. If it's 1 year of $25, and the other $35 million is over the rest of the contract. Or as the contract is terminated it's all in one chunk. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's understandable from the team's point of view, because all it takes is one bad hit, and your career is done. 

So Player X gets a 4 year $100 million dollar deal. Of the $100 million the agent negotiates $60 million is guaranteed. 

Player X is a receiver.  In year one, he catches a ball in the end zone, and gets hit by two defenders. And his back gets messed up.

He plays in year 2 and he struggles badly. The team can end his contact, but he still gets the $60 million. But loses out on the $40 million. 

I'm less clear on how the $60 million will be paid. If it's 1 year of $25, and the other $35 million is over the rest of the contract. Or as the contract is terminated it's all in one chunk. 

Cheers amigo...

I get it now. Basically his salary $60M with a guarenteed "bonus' of $40M if he is able to perform over his contract...

It does make sense, now that he does have a guaranteed salary...