[Speculation] Disgruntled Maple Leafs forward Nick Robertson reportedly still wants out of Toronto as contract talks hit a 'standstill'

Disgruntled Maple Leafs forward Nick Robertson reportedly still wants out of Toronto as contract talks hit a 'standstill'

Robertson appears to be dead set on a fresh start with a new club as the 2024-25 season inches closer

Kyle Cantlon

Tue, August 27, 2024 at 12:17 PM PDT

Restricted free agent — and former top prospect — Nick Robertson's tenure with the Toronto Maple Leafs appears to be heading off a cliff.

Since the 2019 second-round pick requested a trade at the end of June, there's been little-to-no progress in contract talks according to multiple reports. And, as training camp draws near, there doesn't appear to be a resolution on the horizon as both sides hold their ground.

The 22-year-old winger still remains without a contract, and TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston doesn't believe a solution is imminent.

"It's kind of at a standstill right now," Johnston said on popular Toronto sports radio program "OverDrive" on Monday. "My understanding is Nick Robertson's desire to move on hasn't changed, but the fact remains he's a restricted free agent, he only has so many rights.

"Especially if he doesn't want to sign a contract and the organization decides not to move him, really all he could do is miss time and try to put pressure on the team, that way. But obviously it comes at a cost to him, both in terms of getting up to speed in training camp and potentially playing games, and obviously a financial cost."

Johnston continued:

"I don't know how it will be resolved but as we're getting really close to the start of September here, there doesn't seem to be a resolution in sight and one thing [Leafs GM] Brad Treliving said back on July 1 is the Leafs have a need for Nick Robertson.

"He's got a great opportunity this season, both because of what he showed last year, the fact that you anticipate someone his age to get better, but also they don't have as much depth at left wing as they have in some years gone by. Maybe there's a path to rebuild things, but right now there's not an obvious solution out there that I see."

Naturally, Leafs Nation stormed social media to express varying opinions on the disgruntled forward's waning desire to stay in Toronto, with many opting to side with the team — which holds most of the leverage in a contentious situation like this.

Others, meanwhile, are falling more on Robertson's side of the fence, empathizing with the young winger's desire for a change of scenery after several injury-plagued seasons on an underachieving Leafs squad.

And some are just hoping both sides come to their senses and get a deal done so Robertson — who boasts plenty of potential — can continue his young career in Toronto with the only NHL franchise he's known.

Treliving, meanwhile, claimed he has no plans to deal Robertson despite the latter's trade request earlier this summer, calling Robertson an "excellent" player while adding the Maple Leafs "need him" to make a mark with the team this season and beyond.

"I have certainly known that there was some frustration with Nick, but we look at Nick as an excellent player," Treliving said. "There is great opportunity for Nick here. We need him to be a good player for us.

"I am not going to get into any speculation or public back-and-forth. We will just leave it at that and continue to move forward."

Robertson, meanwhile, has publicly expressed frustrations with his situation, most recently during the 2023-24 season when he was once again loaned to the AHL's Toronto Marlies.

"It's been kind of weird," he said. "I've just been practicing on my own while the guys were on the road and just waiting for my turn, I guess."

Robertson, a restricted free agent, must sign a deal with either Toronto or another squad by December 1, or he'll be ineligible to play in the 2024-25 season. The Maple Leafs can also trade his rights to another club. The 22-year-old could also be handed an "offer sheet" from other teams around the league, which would force Toronto to either match the offer and re-sign Robertson to those terms, or lose him for draft-pick compensation.

A situation similar to this just played out with former Oilers youngsters Dylan Holloway and Philip Broberg, who were offer-sheeted by the St. Louis Blues. Tight against the salary cap with some big contracts looming on the horizon, Edmonton opted not to match and instead will receive the Blues' second and third-round selections in the 2025 NHL Draft, per NHL compensation guidelines, while Holloway and Broberg were officially shipped to St. Louis.

Toronto has brought in a new head coach as Cup-winning bench boss Craig Berube takes over for Sheldon Keefe, and the Leafs' left-wing depth — at the moment — is pretty scarce. This means, at least theoretically, Robertson could have a better chance this season to seize an impact roll for Toronto than he has at anytime in the past. But, at least so far, none of those factors have led him to reconsider his desire for a fresh start. But that could all change in a hurry.

Robertson has dressed in just 87 games for Toronto over parts of four seasons, tallying 17 goals and 34 points. The California product suited up for six of the Maple Leafs' seven postseason games last spring, recording zero points against the Boston Bruins in their first-round matchup.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/disgruntled-maple-leafs-forward-nick-robertson-reportedly-still-wants-out-of-toronto-as-contract-talks-hit-a-standstill-191712740.html

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guy is an AHL level player. Small and not very good. Benning (the moran) would have given a second round pick for this guy and then signed him to a three year big money contract. 

Haha Benning would be all over this for sure 🙈

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, WillisD said:

Another entitled douche. I'd send him to the ahl for a few months. He's under contract so let him rot if he doesn't wanna play. Glad to see Toranna having more issues though

Uh…no, he’s not. That was a big part of the article, that he still has to sign.

Tough spot for both sides. Toronto can’t really get fair value for him under these circumstances. And there isn’t much left for LWs on the free agent market. Nick is probably better off just signing a 1-year deal and thoroughly proving himself for a full season. He’ll be much easier to move then for the type of return that will be worth it for the Leafs.

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the Leafs will trade him for a 5th round player, and watch Leaf fans go "Good riddance!" where as Vancouver fans freak when high draft picks don't bring as much return as you want. 

Haha you don’t spend a lot of time with Leafs fans. They freak out over little things more than any other fan base and they have two national networks that feed their neuroticism. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Decent stats for a young guy playing those minutes.   One year doesn't equal a career though and not sure what his expectations are.   Look at the contracts Hyman and Mikheyev ended up getting playing in their middle/top six.   You'd think he'd be smart enough to realize he won't get much of a better opportunity elsewhere.    Berube, Tochett and Green all give their guys a fair shot, it's not like he's playing for Torts (younger one anyways) or Keenan. 

21 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Plays half a season and thinks hes good enough to be in high demand around the league. What's new? 

At least Nedved had a pedigree and a few seasons (and a breakout) under his belt for sure.    Riding the bus or waiting a turn, it's part of the job.   Should be stoked just to be in the NHL. 

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Uh…no, he’s not. That was a big part of the article, that he still has to sign.

Tough spot for both sides. Toronto can’t really get fair value for him under these circumstances. And there isn’t much left for LWs on the free agent market. Nick is probably better off just signing a 1-year deal and thoroughly proving himself for a full season. He’ll be much easier to move then for the type of return that will be worth it for the Leafs.

Your right. Not under contract but the team has control since he's restricted. I'd let him sit for half a season if he doesn't want to sign. It would be a loss for both sides and a win for Canucks fans

I think he could be good. Needs to take that step this year. Toronto does have space on LW for him, so I'm a little surprised he wants out still. 

If we didn't get Sprong, I'd say he would be a good and cheap pickup. 

Someone mentioned it above but Dallas should go for him. 

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He doesn't want to risk Toronto matching and being unable to trade him.  Offer sheets only work if salary is the issue.

If he gets a good offer sheet can Toronto match?  I guess if they haven't actually signed Hakanpaa maybe.  

1 minute ago, kettlevalley said:

If he gets a good offer sheet can Toronto match?  I guess if they haven't actually signed Hakanpaa maybe.  

He's unlikely to get one that they can't with his current body of work.

Not understanding all the hate on this kid.. He can 100% play. Very skilled. At one time was considered to have a better goal scoring touch than his Brother Jason..

There is a reason why Toronto hasn't traded him yet. They know the type of player he can be. He's just been injured ALOT to start off his pro career..

The Leafs don't want to trade him, they need him.. In 56 Games last Season Nick Robertson ranked 2nd on The Maple Leafs in 5 on 5 Goals only behind Auston Matthews..

He can play.

The issue here & Nick has even admitted it in interviews..

He took issue last season being The "Salary Cap Casualty"

He was one of the only guys Toronto could move up and down when needed to clear cap space without having to go on waivers.. He'd score a goal/have a real good game but be sent down to The Marlies for cap reasons.. 

It's got to the point where the player wants a fresh start. I genuinely don't blame him one bit. 

Sadly though, he's got zero leverage here. 

If anything he should sign a contract in Europe to at least show Toronto he's not playing around here.. 

Probably still wouldn't help his situation..

• Cheers 1