Soundtracks

stawns

This is probably more applicable to those of us who grew up in the late 70's and 80's, but what's your favourite movie soundtrack, or soundtracks that played a lot on your chosen medium for music?

I'll lead off with the soundtrack to The Commitments and The Big Chill.  I absolutely love Motown music and these are definitely two of my favorites.  Just great from top to bottom.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Heavy Metal and FM....

Heavy Metal..........classic movie and soundtrack.  For the longest I always thought that was a Ralph Bakshi movie.  I think I was in my 30's when I realized it wasn't 

Probably my first time hearing Sammy Hagar and Don Felder solo

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Interesting.......classif sci-fi movie.  It's instrumental no?  Same dude that did Cariots of Fire, right?

I used to put it on a lot in my 20's when going to sleep.

Yeah its a bunch of classical sounds with beepboops all over. 

Dont know who did it. Soundtracks arn't too big for me.

For song sound tracks I might go Donnie Darko,Pump up the Volume, Singles. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

Was going to say The Commitments or FM but you and Rup beat me to it.

American Graffiti is timeless.

Spinal Tap is up there.

I grew up on the rodeo circuit and we just traveled from one rodeo to another and my parents, having grown up in the 50's always had American Graffiti on.  It's probably the single most influential album in my life.  I even wrote a horror romance screenplay based on Teen Angel 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I used to put it on a lot in my 20's when going to sleep.

Yeah its a bunch of classical sounds with beepboops all over. 

Dont know who did it. Soundtracks arn't too big for me.

For song sound tracks I might go Donnie Darko,Pump up the Volume, Singles. 

Pump up the volume......nice.  around the same time, I had the soundtrack to Sid and Nancy playing

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Eddie and the Cruisers

Highlander- soundtrack by Queen.

Holy deep cuts batman.  John Cafferrty and the Beaver Brown Band.  Classic

Throwing a relatively unknown John Hughes soundtrack out there

Some Kind of Wonderful.  Just great post punk 80's British invasion music.......but not your overplayed Thompson twins, Depeche mode, culture club etc etc.  

• Vintage 1

There’s this strange but cool acid trip western directed by Jim Jarmusch in 1995 called Dead Man starring a relatively young Johnny Depp. I never recommend it to anyone, even friends who love movies, because of the slow pace and sometimes disturbing narrative. The black and white cinematography is brilliant, the cast surprising and totally committed. And the soundtrack, what can I say about the soundtrack. It’s all Neil Young and little else than his Les Paul wailing unimaginable, experimental  aural landscapes. I’m not even a huge Neil Young fan to be honest, but the sounds that accompany this movie just slam my gut. A perfect soundtrack because it offers perfect unity between image and sound.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

There’s this strange but cool acid trip western directed by Jim Jarmusch in 1995 called Dead Man starring a relatively young Johnny Depp. I never recommend it to anyone, even friends who love movies, because of the slow pace and sometimes disturbing narrative. The black and white cinematography is brilliant, the cast surprising and totally committed. And the soundtrack, what can I say about the soundtrack. It’s all Neil Young and little else than his Les Paul wailing unimaginable, experimental  aural landscapes. I’m not even a huge Neil Young fan to be honest, but the sounds that accompany this movie just slam my gut. A perfect soundtrack because it offers perfect unity between image and sound.

I know it well.  Strange movie, strange soundtrack........and I'm a huge Neil fan

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

This is probably more applicable to those of us who grew up in the late 70's and 80's, but what's your favourite movie soundtrack, or soundtracks that played a lot on your chosen medium for music?

I'll lead off with the soundtrack to The Commitments and The Big Chill.  I absolutely love Motown music and these are definitely two of my favorites.  Just great from top to bottom.

Hey, I'm with you on Motown, and I love the sound track to the Big Chill.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Reg said:

Hey, I'm with you on Motown, and I love the sound track to the Big Chill.

I would include, as strange as it might seem, the soundtrack to animal house to that as well

• Upvote 1

Stawns, you seem to be a subject matter expert. Do you happen to know if the folks at Stax Records ever shared their southern soul sound to cover a movie?