Soundtracks

stawns

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Almost forgot to mention Apocalypse Now.

As good a soundtrack to evoke the experience of war and time and place as you will find.

And Goodfellas!

I'd also encourage anyone who hasn't listened to it, to check out "music inspired by" Young Guns II, by John Bon Jovi.  Not technically a "soundtrack", as the songs aren't actually in the movie, but officially it was marketed as part of the movie

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This topic convinced me to review my 120 plus, soundtrack albums, and a few that just jump out as great:

Saturday Night Fever

Amadeus

Phantom Of The Opera

Beverly Hills Cop

Some oldies like:

Oklahoma

Sound Of Music

----------------------------------

I'm thinking my next few nights, of music listening, will have a lot of these on my turntable.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

This topic convinced me to review my 120 plus, soundtrack albums, and a few that just jump out as great:

Saturday Night Fever

Amadeus

Phantom Of The Opera

Beverly Hills Cop

Some oldies like:

Oklahoma

Sound Of Music

----------------------------------

I'm thinking my next few nights, of music listening, will have a lot of these on my turntable.

I have a record player in the library at my library at school, with a selection of records for kids to listen to.  The most listened to albums are the soundtracks for A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi 

I had a feeling you'd be contributing to this thread

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Can’t believe it’s taken me this long to remember Hard Days Night by some obscure British foursome that was big for a while in the sixties. 

I was wondering if albums like that are considered "soundtracks", though I guess I included the commitments in the original post.  Then were looking at albums like The Wall, The Doors movie, The Buddy Holly Story and Walk the Line too!

Going off the Fab Four, Id say Across the Universe is a gooder as well

Edited by stawns

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I was wondering if albums like that are considered "soundtracks", though I guess I included the commitments in the original post.  Then were looking at albums like The Wall, The Doors movie, The Buddy Holly Story and Walk the Line too!

Going off the Fab Four, Id say Across the Universe is a gooder as well

I guess there have to be different definitions. Compilations that are culled together specifically for a motion picture ( say, for instance, a Quentin Tarantino film) are different from a score, which is different again from an original artist producing tunes that form part of the narrative of a film. And then there’s the excellent soundtrack for the movie Once, written by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova who also starred in the film. 

I’ve heard more poorly chosen and sequenced compilation soundtracks than I care to admit. I still have boxes of my own mix tapes that are far superior, though I never had to deal with artists, agents, royalties or copyright infringement when I was making them!

9 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Almost forgot to mention Apocalypse Now.

As good a soundtrack to evoke the experience of war and time and place as you will find.

Charlie don't surf 

Ride of the Valkyries is now synonymous with that movie.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, stawns said:

Man, what a lineup when you look at it.  I dont know about an entire soundtrack, but they've certainly contributed to many great ones. 

Probably the biggest surprise, in my opinion, would be Mavis Staple singing the theme song to National Lampoon Christmas Vacation..........hip hip hooray for Christmas vacation 

I was just thinking, although I don't have the soundtracks per se, many of my favourite Christmas songs are on the Christian Vacation soundtrack,  including the one by Mavis Staple. Ray Charles, Spirit of Christmas is my all time favourite, Mariah Carrie can get bent. 

Pehaps we can add the worst songs made for movies to the topic. I'll start. The one U2 made for batman makes me want to jab my ear drums with an ice pick. To be fair though, most of their music from the mid 90's onwards evokes a similar reaction. The spider man song that rock jesus did and I believe I can fly come in a close second. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I was just thinking, although I don't have the soundtracks per se, many of my favourite Christmas songs are on the Christian Vacation soundtrack,  including the one by Mavis Staple. Ray Charles, Spirit of Christmas is my all time favourite, Mariah Carrie can get bent. 

Pehaps we can add the worst songs made for movies to the topic. I'll start. The one U2 made for batman makes me want to jab my ear drums with an ice pick. To be fair though, most of their music from the mid 90's onwards evokes a similar reaction. The spider man song that rock jesus did and I believe I can fly come in a close second. 

Rattle and Hum was the last good U2 album for me.  Until that, they were one of my favourite bands.

Worst songs for a movie......hmmm

I'd put Wild Wild West by Will Smith on that list probably and Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head.......what is that song doing in that movie?

• Cheers 1

Now you have me thinking about bad movies ! Except your example of Raindrops is from what I consider to be a fairly substantial achievement in Butch Cassidy …. I don’t get the song placement at all but strangely can’t imagine the movie without it now.

The Guardian of the Galaxy soundtracks are solid - introduced my kids to some of the songs I remember as a kid such as Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Suede. I already saw Bob mention Pulp Fiction - Reservoir Dogs is also a great one from Taratino.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

The Guardian of the Galaxy soundtracks are solid - introduced my kids to some of the songs I remember as a kid such as Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Suede. I already saw Bob mention Pulp Fiction - Reservoir Dogs is also a great one from Taratino.

I had never owned a suit in my life until recently.

However when I saw the guys walking down the street after coming out of the cafe in their black suits, white shirts and black ties, with Little Green Bag playing, I knew they were a bunch of upscale thugs, compared to my friends and I in our jeans and wife beaters. 

I tried to convince my friends we should buy simple black suits, but they weren't having it. 

Would have been hilarious punchin on with skinheads and bikers in suits.

• Like 1

Completing the Vietnam War trilogy, and probably my favourite of the three, is Platoon.  Outstanding 60's music, and the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra performing Adagio For Strings.......I also love voiceovers in soundtracks and this was a good one

"the war is over for me now, but it'll always be there, for the rest of my days"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1