[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

So sorry for the Gaudreau family, I was so close to being killed by a drunk driver who then proceeded to drink more booze he had in his car at the scene and got off because they couldn't prove he was drunk while driving. I hope the driver rots in hell.

Absolutely shocked. I was looking up Canucks news and saw a headline that said that Canucks players were paying tribute to Johnny and Matty. Had to do a double take. Way too young to go. I can't even begin to imagine how their family must feel. It's just heartbreaking. Rest in peace, boys. I'll always remember how fun Johnny was to watch on the ice. He was so quick and just an overall talented player.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Reading up there that he had a previous DWI just pisses me off to no end. I don't give a shit what else he's done in life, that's the takeaway here. Guy didn't learn the first time - rather than considering himself lucky he carries on along the same path. F him.

If it wasn't before, it now has to be nothing less than murder but I won't hold my breath.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Reading up there that he had a previous DWI just pisses me off to no end. I don't give a hoot what else he's done in his life, that's the takeaway here for me. Guy didn't learn the first time - rather than considering himself lucky he carries on along the same path. F him.

Seems he had been charged for DWI twice before, also had 6-8 beer before driving and was drinking while driving. What pissed me off was many news sites were reporting it as they were killed in an accident, this shit needs to be called out for what it is and it's no accident.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If it wasn't before, it now has to be nothing less than murder but I won't hold my breath.

In the US, it's usually vehicular manslaughter.  Unless you live in a very overcrowded soft on crime municipality, you will end up serving most of the time you are given.  Most places are no longer lax on repeat offending drunk driving. 

From what you all tell me about Canada's system of justice though, this guy won't be behind bars long.

*edit*  Just now saw the post that he's a US citizen.  I wonder if Canada can sentence him and then send him to the US to serve his time. 

Major brain fart... Sorry.

My mistake.  I even posted about it happening here and forgot already.  Looked at a map early this morning and everything. That's embarrassing for me.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Apparently I've been lobotomized and didn't know it.
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

there really isn't. We tolerate this in North America, I really don't know why. 

Marco Muzzo served 4 years for killing 4 people including 3 kids in Ontario.

He flew in from Miami on a private plane, didn’t think he needed limo, cab or Uber, although he got hammered during a bachelor’s party and was drinking on the plane. Father of the killed children, Edward Lake committed suicide in 2022, one day after the Father’s Day. 

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

In the US, it's usually vehicular manslaughter.  Unless you live in a very overcrowded soft on crime municipality, you will end up serving most of the time you are given.  Most places are no longer lax on repeat offending drunk driving. 

From what you all tell me about Canada's system of justice though, this guy won't be behind bars long.

*edit*  Just now saw the post that he's a US citizen.  I wonder if Canada can sentence him and then send him to the US to serve his time. 

It happened in jersey 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

David Barajas had the right idea how to deal with drunks that kill innocent people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/texas-dad-david-barajas-acquitted-murdering-man-who-killed-sons-n190286

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He's a US citizen and it happened in the States..Don't think Canada has anything to do with it...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

He's a US citizen and it happened in the States..Don't think Canada has anything to do with it...

My mistake.  I even posted about it and forgot.  Looked at a map and everything. That's embarrassing.

58 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

David Barajas had the right idea how to deal with drunks that kill innocent people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/texas-dad-david-barajas-acquitted-murdering-man-who-killed-sons-n190286

This guy is gonna be spending time with all those murdering criminals from Newark soon.  He'll get passed around by the inmates who are hockey fans until they're bored with him.

His life is gonna suuuuck in prison.  It will keep sucking after he gets out in 15-20 years as a convicted felon.  Getting a job will be difficult, and getting a good job will be all but impossible.

A bit late to reply here even though I saw this yesterday. My wife just gave birth to our first child and she started crying when I told her about this. I can't even imagine what the Gaudreau family is feeling right now with Matthew's wife being pregnant and Johnny having 2 very young kids.

RIP to what seemed like 2 great people. Way too young to go..

Please don't drink and drive.

• Huggy Bear 3

It sounds like the driver was passing 2 cars who were slowing down cause of the 2 Gaudreau brothers cycling. I'm not sure if he past on a double solid or on the shoulder. 

I know he was drunk but a sober person in a rush could have done this too.

I work in road construction, every day I see people fly through construction zones, disobey traffic control, blow stop signs.

Slow the fuck down so things like this don't happen.

That guy was in a rush, so much so that he killed 2 people, devastated multiple families  and now he's going to prison

Slow Down

Also, I've always thought cyclists belong on the sidewalk, I think road biking is stupid and I've never understood it.

This could have been avoided on many levels 

RIP JG and MG

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

It sounds like the driver was passing 2 cars who were slowing down cause of the 2 Gaudreau brothers cycling. I'm not sure if he past on a double solid or on the shoulder. 

I know he was drunk but a sober person in a rush could have done this too.

I work in road construction, every day I see people fly through construction zones, disobey traffic control, blow stop signs.

Slow the fuck down so things like this don't happen.

That guy was in a rush, so much so that he killed 2 people, devastated multiple families  and now he's going to prison

Slow Down

Also, I've always thought cyclists belong on the sidewalk, I think road biking is stupid and I've never understood it.

This could have been avoided on many levels 

RIP JG and MG

From what I understand he passed on car on the leftand wanted to pass a second car but that car pulled away from the curb due to the cyclists so he swerved to pass it on the inside and hit them. As much as I’m not a fan of cyclists a car is a deadly weapon and operating one while drunk and killing someone’s is murder, there is only one person to blame in this incident and I hope he rots for it.

Edited by Dumb Nuck