[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

49 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

From what I understand he passed on car on the leftand wanted to pass a second car but that car pulled away from the curb due to the cyclists so he swerved to pass it on the inside and hit them. As much as I’m not a fan of cyclists a car is a deadly weapon and operating one while drunk and killing someone’s is murder, there is only one person to blame in this incident and I hope he rots for it.

1000% 

Who passes on the shoulder, drunk or not. That guy was a selfish overly aggressive driver piece of shit who drove like the rules of the road were below him.

And the cycling bit was just an unrelated foot note opinion. 

We have just created a culture where cycling on the road is normal.

I've always been against road biking for reasons like this.

You cant trust that the car coming at you is being operated by someone of sound mind. Car is gonna beat bike every time. Stick to the trails and sidewalks.

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

1000% 

Who passes on the shoulder, drunk or not. That guy was a selfish overly aggressive driver piece of shit who drove like the rules of the road were below him.

You cant trust that the car coming at you is being operated by someone of sound mind. Car is gonna beat bike every time. Stick to the trails and sidewalks.

Something is very wrong with our car culture. People act like things on the road are personal, as if every move around you is someone intentionally trying to mess with you as if they know you. 

This drunk asshole decided the car ahead of him was blocking his way so he was entitled to drive aggressively. Guaranteed he's done that move many times.

I live downtown and walk most places. I see aggressive car stuff literally every day. I now shoulder check when I cross the street because of the number of times I've seen cars nearly plow into pedestrians.

Self driving cars can't come fast enough imo.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

1000% 

I stopped riding (my usual route) due to these facts.

I used to go south on No. 3 Road past Steveston Highway...farmland. No shoulder on the west side of the road (at all)...drops down to a big ditch. They've put speed bumps in but the idiots floor it in between them. Even along the riverside dyke road here - people roller blade with their kids, etc. and now people are trying to use it to bypass traffic and they speed by.

They're putting in a new separated bike lane along Steveston Highway and I'm thrilled - I'll be using that.

One moment of driver distraction (or an idiot driving drunk) can change things for bike riders and their families. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

"The father-of-two had served in the 44th Infantry Brigade Combat Team in Kosovo"

Wonder if this is a guy that came back with his mind screwed up?

No excuse, alcohol is not the answer. And if he is using alcohol to cope surely he is aware of the fact that he shouldn't drink and drive. That's common knowledge, even for someone who's messed up.

Being "lucky" enough to previously escape one charge for DWI, this man could/should have called an Uber as his past reminds him to do so. Beyond that, passing on the shoulder? So does he blame a screwed up mind for that or is that an impatient/entitled bastard? I know which one I'm leaning toward.

There is help out there - alcohol is never excusable as a coping measure and driving while impaired is inexcusable. Period. We're in 2024 not 1959.

I'm tired of mental health being thrown out there in criminal acts as some sort of defense. You're well enough to order 5-6 beer, to put your key in the ignition and start your car, to grow impatient of the cars in front of you, to pass and then veer right because you "thought" (showing his isn't a mindless action of someone in distress) the person was trying to block you from passing him. 

Many of us have trauma inflicted "screwed up minds" for one reason or another. We don't drive drunk/like idiots. That's a choice that's made.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Further to that up there ^, I feel for veterans who suffer and do have issues upon their return to civilian life. I do. I mean no disrespect to them (or those who suffer from mental health issues). Their service is deeply appreciated.

One of my former (RIP Sandy) customers at that same lottery kiosk where I met Millie was a "decorated" veteran who had never spoken of the horrors he'd witnessed. He used to ask me to watch his mobility scooter as he went into the bank and learned to trust me over time. One day he did open up about some of it, tears in his eyes.

I know that the wounds are deep. I understand that losing "brothers" and "sisters" in front of your very eyes makes it difficult to cope/forget. Risking your own life and having to be on high alert at every moment or you could suffer the same fate as those who've fallen in front of you. I get it (at a surface level of course).

But there are also enough stories from families of victims of drunk drivers and they matter too. Their mental health is forever changed. So it's important to focus on them.

They didn't get to make choices...other than just going about their happy lives in that moment that would forever change them.

So this matters too (more). These children lost their father and that should never have happened. Gutted over that fact. The children of the guy responsible for that will still get to know him. Let's hope he pulls it together for them, if not for himself. To learn that he let out a heavy, disappointed sigh when he learned he'd be in the can until Thursday? Aw, how inconvenient.

OK enough grandstanding from me.

But I feel so strongly about this. I also feel that everyone should. 

"Mistakes" are one thing. Getting behind the wheel after drinking is a choice. Leave your damn car at home and fork out $50 to get where you're going.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Another of many tributes pouring in ... this one touched me a bit more than others I have seen

image.thumb.png.014ca80f4dea7338510607ea704c4ee1.png

This got me. A young man in the prime of his life.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Something clearly needs to be done to deter it from happening as much as it does!

There’s an opportunity here for the NHL to celebrate Johnny and Mathew and at the same time this should be  another  reminder for the league about the tragic costs of drunk driving. Search NHL players arrested for DUI or DWI and you’ll be surprised and disappointed by the numbers.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

There’s an opportunity here for the NHL to celebrate Johnny and Mathew and at the same time this should be  another  reminder for the league about the tragic costs of drunk driving. Search NHL players arrested for DUI or DWI and you’ll be surprised and disappointed by the numbers.

How many decades of watching Grape's "Coaches Corner" and it took forever for him to switch from "Going for a couple of beers after the game" to "having a couple of pops' after a game.

"Beer league" hockey,  wonder how they came up with that name?

Somebody needs to change the laws to make this second degree murder, which it is.  If you are drunk then you made a conscious decision to drive drunk and should suffer the consequences of such actions if someone is killed.  No different than if you shot somebody and killed them.  The vehicle is just as bad of a weapon as a gun...

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

How many decades of watching Grape's "Coaches Corner" and it took forever for him to switch from "Going for a couple of beers after the game" to "having a couple of pops' after a game.

Bingo.

I was just reading the story about Rob Ramage and his conviction for dui in the accident that killed his passenger Keith Magnussen and seriously injured the woman driving the other vehicle. Ramage had consumed 15-20 drinks in the hours before the crash.

Sentenced to 4 years, out on parole after 10 months.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Bingo.

I was just reading the story about Rob Ramage and his conviction for dui in the accident that killed his passenger Keith Magnussen and seriously injured the woman driving the other vehicle. Ramage had consumed 15-20 drinks in the hours before the crash.

Sentenced to 4 years, out on parole after 10 months.

Pelle Lindberg- killed himself while driving drunk, severely injuring 2 passengers

Craig McTavish killed someone, while driving drunk.

Dany Heatley killed Dan Snyder while driving- speed was definitely a factor- I'm unsure if booze was also involved.

Just off my recollection.

So many lives get destroyed.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Thing is, though. 

It's ok to indulge and to have a few beer after hockey but plan ahead....know that you'll be drinking and plan on not driving. Have it figured out beforehand.

I don't like encouraging people to drink but let's face it, that's here to stay. And we even have a beer emoji here...alcohol's an accepted part of society and so the message is "be responsible" with it.

Drinking and driving is not acceptable in any way, shape, or form. No excuses are valid.  That's the message.

"Have fun, have some drinks if you like. But don't get behind the wheel or you're a selfish ahole".

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Something is very wrong with our car culture. People act like things on the road are personal, as if every move around you is someone intentionally trying to mess with you as if they know you. 

This drunk asshole decided the car ahead of him was blocking his way so he was entitled to drive aggressively. Guaranteed he's done that move many times.

I live downtown and walk most places. I see aggressive car stuff literally every day. I now shoulder check when I cross the street because of the number of times I've seen cars nearly plow into pedestrians.

Self driving cars can't come fast enough imo.

We need to invent hovercraft that cruise around up in the sky and are operated by some kind of AI GPS. 

But it's dog eat dog out there. It's a form of greed. In my trips to edmonton people are actually pretty unselfish drivers.  Calgary is awful. Driving the deerfoot is like getting into a ufc ring naked and your hands tied behind your back. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Somebody needs to change the laws to make this second degree murder, which it is.  If you are drunk then you made a conscious decision to drive drunk and should suffer the consequences of such actions if someone is killed.  No different than if you shot somebody and killed them.  The vehicle is just as bad of a weapon as a gun...

It shows his mindset and feeling of entitlement. Thinking about him and his life when he's just ripped others of theirs.

No remorse shown here (although perhaps he did at some point and this just didn't capture it).

The big inconvenience to him. Geez, seriously?

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I read somewhere he was a police officer, Apologies if i was wrong..This is a good article, Kinda covers everything...

EXCLUSIVE'Drunk' driver Sean Higgins, charged with fatally mowing down NHL star Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew, is a decorated US Army officer and father-of-two

By Emma James In Woodstown, New Jersey, For Dailymail.Com

Published: 16:05 EDT, 30 August 2024 | Updated: 18:19 EDT, 30 August 2024

The alleged drunk driver accused of fatally mowing down NHL star Johnny Gaudreau and his younger brother in New Jersey the night before their sister's wedding is a decorated US Army officer, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Major Sean Higgins, 43, has been charged with two counts of death by auto after careening into the two brothers as they cycled along a highway in Salem County on Thursday night.

The fatal crash happened less than three miles from the Gaudreau family home, hours before Johnny, 31, and Matthew, 29, were to serve as groomsmen in their sister Katie's wedding, which has since been postponed, DailyMail.com has learned. 

Higgins made a virtual appearance in Salem County Court on Friday where he was ordered to remain behind bars until his next hearing on September 5.   

Major Sean Higgins, 43, has been charged with two counts of death by auto after fatally mowing down NHL star Johnny Gaudreau and his younger brother Matthew in New Jersey on Thursday

The driver is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash. He has been charged with two counts of vehicular homicide with no bail or bond

Major Sean Higgins, 43, has been charged with two counts of death by auto after fatally mowing down NHL star Johnny Gaudreau and his younger brother Matthew in New Jersey on Thursday

The fatal crash happened less than three miles from the Gaudreau family home, hours before Johnny, 31, (right) and Matthew, 29, (left) were to serve as groomsmen in their sister Katie's wedding
  •  

The fatal crash happened less than three miles from the Gaudreau family home, hours before Johnny, 31, (right) and Matthew, 29, (left) were to serve as groomsmen in their sister Katie's wedding

The father-of-two had served in the 44th Infantry Brigade Combat Team in Kosovo and was promoted to Major during a state leadership visit to the former Yugoslavian republic in 2019 when he credited his family for their support during his military career, DailyMail.com has learned. 

He also served as the Regional Command-East Civil-Military Cooperation chief during the tour, though it is unclear if he is still currently enlisted in the US Army.

Higgins is based in Woodstown, New Jersey, where he is believed to live with his wife and their two young daughters. 

Katie Gaudreau was due to get married Friday in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Gloucester City, New Jersey

Katie Gaudreau was due to get married Friday in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Gloucester City, New Jersey

The army officer was arrested in Oldmans Township near the state border with Delaware on Thursday night by New Jersey State Police, and admitted to drinking 'five to six beers' before getting behind the wheel in the horror smash which killed the Gaudreau brothers, cops said. 

In his first hearing on Friday, he appeared via before Judge Michael Silvanio via video link, where he was seen dressed in a green prison vest with Velcro shoulders and bare arms, with a bandage on his wrist.

He was represented by a public defender, but told the judge he would retain his own attorney, before next appearing in Salem County Court on September 5. 

The judge ordered him to remain in custody until then, extending the standard 72-hour holding period due to the holiday weekend. 

The military man, who is facing two counts of second-degree vehicle manslaughter, was expressionless in the courtroom as he appeared virtually from the Salem County Correctional Facility.

In his first hearing on Friday, he appeared via before Judge Michael J. Silvanio via video link, where he was seen dressed in a green prison vest with Velcro shoulders
  •  

In his first hearing on Friday, he appeared via before Judge Michael J. Silvanio via video link, where he was seen dressed in a green prison vest with Velcro shoulders

Higgins is accused of being intoxicated when he collided with Gaudreau and his brother
  •  

Higgins is accused of being intoxicated when he collided with Gaudreau and his brother

The father-of-two had served in the 44th Infantry Brigade Combat Team during a tour of Kosovo and was promoted to Major during a state leadership visit to the former Yugoslavian republic in 2019
  •  

The father-of-two had served in the 44th Infantry Brigade Combat Team during a tour of Kosovo and was promoted to Major during a state leadership visit to the former Yugoslavian republic in 2019

Higgins and his wife, Emily
  •  
Sean Higgins and his wife, Emily
  •  

Higgins is based in Woodstown, New Jersey, where he lives with his wife, Emily and their two young daughters

Court records in North Carolina show that Higgins had a prior DWI in 2005, where the charges voluntarily dismissed due to the officer involved not showing up in court.

He also had a speeding ticket in 2001 that was dismissed because of his good driving record at the time.

A US Army official did not immediately respond to request for comment, with Higgins family members refusing to comment when approached by DailyMail.com on Friday.

In documents seen by DailyMail.com, Higgins admitted to cops that he drank '5-6 beers' before getting behind the wheel of his Jeep Grand Cherokee and crashing into the back of Johnny and Matthew on Thursday night. 

Officers also allege that he showed signs of being drunk and admitted to drinking 'prior to and while operating his vehicle'. 

While reeking of alcohol, Higgins is said to have told them that 'his consumption of alcoholic beverages contributed to his impatience and reckless driving.'

The Gaudreau brothers died the night before their sister Katie's wedding, where they were expected to be groomsmen on the day. 

In a heartbreaking statement on Friday, the devastated Gaudreau family paid tribute to the siblings. 

'Last night, we lost two husbands, two fathers, two sons, two brothers, two sons and brothers in law, two nephews, two cousins, two family members, two teammates, two friends but truly two amazing humans.

NHL star Johnny Gaudreau was tragically killed in a bike accident with his brother after being hit by an alleged drunk driver (Pictured: Gaudreau with wife Meredith and their two children)
  •  

NHL star Johnny Gaudreau was tragically killed in a bike accident with his brother after being hit by an alleged drunk driver (Pictured: Gaudreau with wife Meredith and their two children)

Matthew (left) and Johnny (right) both plied their trade on the ice at Boston College
  •  

Matthew (left) and Johnny (right) both plied their trade on the ice at Boston College

Sean Higgins lives in this home in Pilesgrove, New Jersey
  •  

Sean Higgins lives in this home in Pilesgrove, New Jersey

'We want to let everyone know we are receiving your messages of love and support and we appreciate your continued thoughts and prayers.

article image

'We ask for your continued respect and privacy during this very difficult period of grief.' 

Johnny leaves behind wife Meredith, whom he married in September 2021, and two young children in one-year-old daughter Noa and baby boy Johnny, who was born just six months ago. 

It is believed Meredith was due to be a maid of honor at her sister-in-law's wedding this weekend.

Matthew, meanwhile, leaves behind wife Madeline just over three years on from their wedding in New Jersey. 

In a statement to DailyMail.com, New Jersey State Police Troopers confirmed they responded to a motor vehicle crash at 8:19pm on County Route 551 North, milepost 11.1 Oldmans Township, Salem County.

'Based on a preliminary investigation, two pedalcyclists, John M. Gaudreau, a 31-year-old male from Carneys Point, N.J., and Matthew R. Gaudreau, a 29-year-old male from Pedricktown, N.J., were traveling north on County Route 551, close to the fog line of the roadway,' the statement reads.

'Sean M. Higgins, a 43-year-old male from Woodstown, N.J., was traveling north on CR 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV. Higgins attempted to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes of travel, passed the slower-moving sedan, and attempted to re-enter the northbound lanes of travel when the SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the two pedalcyclist traveling north on the right side of the roadway. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nhl/article-13797639/Drunk-driver-Sean-Higgins-charged-fatally-mowing-NHL-star-Johnny-Gaudreau-brother-decorated-Army-officer-father-two.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Just senseless.  Guy had two kids of his own - that’s 3 families destroyed because of his idiotic selfish behaviour.  

Actively drinking and driving that way means this probably isn’t the first time driving like an asshole or drinking too much. To me, it highlights the need for mental health and addiction services. Sure, lock the guy up and throw away the key - he deserves it. But as a society, an ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

This guy is gonna be spending time with all those murdering criminals from Newark soon.  He'll get passed around by the inmates who are hockey fans until they're bored with him.

His life is gonna suuuuck in prison.  It will keep sucking after he gets out in 15-20 years as a convicted felon.  Getting a job will be difficult, and getting a good job will be all but impossible.

Once you become a felon, life becomes more difficult even when you get out.

Unless your name is Trump, than you might become a president again.

With all the bad drivers, people without insurance and DL, drunks, distracted drivers and phone users, you could not pay me enough money to ride a bike on the streets in this country.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Just senseless.  Guy had two kids of his own - that’s 3 families destroyed because of his idiotic selfish behaviour.  

Actively drinking and driving that way means this probably isn’t the first time driving like an asshole or drinking too much. To me, it highlights the need for mental health and addiction services. Sure, lock the guy up and throw away the key - he deserves it. But as a society, an ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure. 

He was charged before for DWI. There is no excuse for doing it, it's a choice.

• Cheers 1

All those who are pointing the finger at the two Gaudreau brothers for cycling on the road are completely out of line.

In just about every Provincial and State law out there, bicycles are classified as vehicles and are required to be treated with the same level of respect as a car.

People on bikes have a right to use the road.  Period.

Yes, if there is a bike lane, then cyclists should by preference use that, but if there is no bike lane on the road in question, then cyclists have the right to use the road to get where they are going.  And cars are required to give them the space they need and only pass them only when it is safe to do so.  Yes, Cyclists should use helmets, lights at night, etc.

And NO, bicyclists should not use the sidewalk.  A sidewalk is for pedestrians, not bikes.  Anyone who thinks bicycles on sidewalks doesn't understand how dangerous that is... pedestrians are hit by bicyclists who ride on the sidewalk... sometimes with fatal results.

We do need bike lanes, the City of Vancouver and other Provincial municipalities have taken the lead recently in the creation of bike lanes... and that is a good thing... both for downtown core congestion and the health of the residents.

I am a regular biker in Vancouver... despite the fact I own a Jeep, a Porsche and two motorcycles which I could drive if I want to.  I ride a bike in the city by preference, because it is usually faster to get where I want to go by bicycle than by car... and because I want to keep in shape.  I use bike lanes or the side streets designated as bike routes, but am still amazed by the number of bozos out there who unsafely cut in front of me through the clearly marked bike lane, stop in the marked bike lane, or who drive at speeds exceeding the limit on a side street sign-marked as a bike route and blow their horns at bikers using those routes or actually force bikers off the road with their reckless driving.  Multiple times I have driven past Rogers Place along the bike lane there, and have had idiots nearly cause a collision cutting in front of me in their haste to enter the Casino on False Creek... despite the broad green painted bands at the entrance which show the bike lane.

In these idiot's minds, a cyclist is not worthy of respect, and in fact should be forced off the road... they are legally completely wrong and need to get their heads out of their backsides.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is personal for me because I stopped drinking all together many years ago.  I remember driving drunk in my youth and looking back, I feel like a POS doing it.  I told myself I would never do it again and just stopped drinking completely, as alcohol is literally poison for the body.  I haven't felt better in my life really.  You don't even need alcohol to have a good time.  I'd rather be sober and partying with my friends then be a stupid drunk...

Exactly there.I used to play in pool tournaments and well was good not great.But a lot of the time I wouldn't drink where most did.

The bar I went to always took keys away and made sure people got home.I would walk people home as was a small place where everyone knew each other and we looked out for one another.

That is how life should be.

• Cheers 2