[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

He was charged before for DWI. There is no excuse for doing it, it's a choice.

I haven’t given him any excuses - I stated this isn’t the first time he’s done this and to throw the book at him.  I think we’re way too lenient with driving penalties in Canada and it’s likely the same in the US due to the driving culture - people see being unable to drive as being unable to work. (And often times it’s true.).

With that said, the DUI was from 2005 - so a blanket 20 year driving ban is beyond what I’d support.

Prioritizing mental health and addiction services does nothing for him at this point, he’s cooked.  But it’s by far the most effective way to avoid tragedies like this.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

We need to invent hovercraft that cruise around up in the sky and are operated by some kind of AI GPS. 

But it's dog eat dog out there. It's a form of greed. In my trips to edmonton people are actually pretty unselfish drivers.  Calgary is awful. Driving the deerfoot is like getting into a ufc ring naked and your hands tied behind your back. 

I hate driving in Montreal the most, but Calgary and Vancouver are bad. Vancouver is getting some really rude drivers.

Hopefully this incident wakes up a few people.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I hate driving in Montreal the most, but Calgary and Vancouver are bad. Vancouver is getting some really rude drivers.

There are many nationalities driving in the lower mainland of BC. The # number one thing I see from almost everyone is the tunnel vision routine.

Not enough folks are actually aware of what's around them, they just assume everything must be OK, so there's no particular to stay on your toes.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

There are many nationalities driving in the lower mainland of BC. The # number one thing I see from almost everyone is the tunnel vision routine.

Not enough folks are actually aware of what's around them, they just assume everything must be OK, so there's no particular to stay on your toes.

I took defensive driving when I started driving....highly recommend that everyone be required to take a course.

Thing is, this doesn't seem like an issue with driving....more an issue with judgement, impairment, and entitlement. Driving drunk and like he owned the road..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

At least in Montreal the traffic moves and fast and  gets to where it's going because assholes that drive slow in the left lane are strictly ticketed and they have Minimum speed limits to keep inconsiderate idiots with no common sense or courtesy off the roads and virtually no Richmond type drivers to deal with - many of which bribed Motor Vehicle test examiners to get their license in three massive well documented breaches over the last few years involving thousands of Richmond drivers. They also have REAL highways unlike the 1960's era joke of a highway/road gridlock system we have here.  I'll take Quebec's highways and drivers any day of the week over our hopeless drivers and antiquated roads. 

6 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I took defensive driving when I started driving....highly recommend that everyone be required to take a course.

Thing is, this doesn't seem like an issue with driving....more an issue with judgement, impairment, and entitlement. Driving drunk and like he owned the road..

I agree 100%     Defensive driving should be fully integrated into licensing requirements and also some common sense and courtesy training for new comers that come from countries where such does not exist.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Once you become a felon, life becomes more difficult even when you get out.

Unless your name is Trump, than you might become a president again.

With all the bad drivers, people without insurance and DL, drunks, distracted drivers and phone users, you could not pay me enough money to ride a bike on the streets in this country.

I was posting a long story with my response to this post.  There are people on this thread that don't know me so it may ruffle a few feathers.  I'll DM it to you instead.

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

I haven’t given him any excuses - I stated this isn’t the first time he’s done this and to throw the book at him.  I think we’re way too lenient with driving penalties in Canada and it’s likely the same in the US due to the driving culture - people see being unable to drive as being unable to work. (And often times it’s true.).

With that said, the DUI was from 2005 - so a blanket 20 year driving ban is beyond what I’d support.

Prioritizing mental health and addiction services does nothing for him at this point, he’s cooked.  But it’s by far the most effective way to avoid tragedies like this.

Sorry, was just commenting, not implying you gave him excuses. And I agree, way to lenient and if they get off easy there's nothing stopping them from doing it again and who knows how many times they drive drunk until they're caught again. I'd bet driving drunk for this guy as for most people that get caught, is a common habit.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Sorry, was just commenting, not implying you gave him excuses. And I agree, way to lenient and if they get off easy there's nothing stopping them from doing it again and who knows how many times they drive drunk until they're caught again. I'd bet driving drunk for this guy as for most people that get caught, is a common habit.

Yep, agree 100%.  

I am still in such disbelief about this whole thing. I can’t imagine the agony that the family, friends, and teammates of Johnny and Matthew are feeling right now. Two great human beings cut down in the prime of life for no reason at all. I just pray that everyone find some strength and peace in all of this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I don't agree with that at all...  Why should decent, responsible people have to waste their time and be punished because of the actions of self centered, uncaring pricks like the waste of skin responsible for this tragedy?

13 minutes ago, Morgan 33 said:

I don't agree with that at all...  Why should decent, responsible people have to waste their time and be punished because of the actions of self centered, uncaring pricks like the waste of skin responsible for this tragedy?

I think getting a DL is way too easy and it clearly shows on the roads, I wouldn’t mind if courses were mandatory. A DL is not a right, it’s a privilege.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Morgan 33 said:

You're assuming everyone is decent and responsible. There's no way to determine who is decent and responsible in a factual way.

A decent and responsible human being is more likely to be fine with this than one who isn't and has something to hide. As personally someone who uses a designated driver and does not drink and drive, I would rather this be in place. The ones who are not decent and responsible are risking my own life whenever I go out.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You're assuming everyone is decent and responsible. There's no way to determine who is decent and responsible in a factual way.  A decent and responsible human being is more likely to be fine with this than one who isn't and has something to hide. As personally someone who uses a designated driver and does not drink and drive, I would rather this be in place. The ones who are not decent and responsible are risking my own life whenever I go out.

I'm not assuming that at all.  I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion in light of what happened.  I just don't like how Debs proposed solution punishes the people that are and by extension makes everyone guilty until proven innocent.  This is clearly an alcohol related issue and as someone who does not drink, let alone drink and drive, the idea of having giving up more of the little free time I have to take a mandatory, defensive driving course because of this asshole pisses me right off. 

Now if your advocating it be a requirement for getting a license, that's a different story all-together.  I agree with Dumb Nuck that drivers licenses are too easy to obtain.  But no, people who don't drink, have no impaired driving record and have never been in an accident should not have to take a mandatory defensive driving course.  Should everyone, even people who don't drink, be forced to attend mandatory AA meetings?  Or state mandated presentations on the dangers of alcohol?  Don't answer that.

A better solution would be a permanent revocation of a license if you are caught drinking and driving even once.  No more warnings.  If your caught drinking and driving, you waive your privilege to operate a motor vehicle. Period.  The perpetrator was caught drinking and driving before and he was able to do it again, resulting in this senseless tragedy.  A zero tolerance approach would have averted this.

38 minutes ago, Morgan 33 said:

I'm not assuming that at all.  I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion in light of what happened.  I just don't like how Debs proposed solution punishes the people that are and by extension makes everyone guilty until proven innocent.  This is clearly an alcohol related issue and as someone who does not drink, let alone drink and drive, the idea of having giving up more of the little free time I have to take a mandatory, defensive driving course because of this asshole pisses me right off. 

Now if your advocating it be a requirement for getting a license, that's a different story all-together.  I agree with Dumb Nuck that drivers licenses are too easy to obtain.  But no, people who don't drink, have no impaired driving record and have never been in an accident should not have to take a mandatory defensive driving course.  Should everyone, even people who don't drink, be forced to attend mandatory AA meetings?  Or state mandated presentations on the dangers of alcohol?  Don't answer that.

A better solution would be a permanent revocation of a license if you are caught drinking and driving even once.  No more warnings.  If your caught drinking and driving, you waive your privilege to operate a motor vehicle. Period.  The perpetrator was caught drinking and driving before and he was able to do it again, resulting in this senseless tragedy.  A zero tolerance approach would have averted this.

Drinking driving and incompetent driving are two separate issues, I'm all for hard penalties on drunks, they made a choice.

Being incompetents need to be addressed as well with suspension and mandatory training and retesting, police should be allowed to do this to people they see driving poorly. Yesterday I saw a semi in the fast lane going under the speed limit in light traffic while an ambulance with lights and horn going had to pass the moron on the right, someone that oblivious operating a vehicle that could kill many people would be a prime candidate for suspension/retraining.

Distracted driving/cell use penalties need to be more severe, fines are not enough, to some a fine is nothing and they learn nothing.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

16 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Being incompetents need to be addressed as well with suspension and mandatory training and retesting, police should be allowed to do this to people they see driving poorly. Yesterday I saw a semi in the fast lane going under the speed limit in light traffic while an ambulance with lights and horn going had to pass the moron on the right, someone that oblivious operating a vehicle that could kill many people would be a prime candidate for suspension/retraining.

Distracted driving/cell use penalties need to be more severe, fines are not enough, to some a fine is nothing and they learn nothing.

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly.

But leave the people who respect the laws, don't have issues with alcohol and who aren't incompetent alone.  That's all I'm saying.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Morgan 33 said:

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly.

But leave the people who respect the laws, don't have issues with alcohol and who aren't incompetent alone.  That's all I'm saying.

This is leaving the people who respect the laws. The people who would be penalized from this are the ones who are not deemed competent with alchohol since they are the ones who thought "it was fine" to be able to drive when they've had enough to drink to cause themselves to be unfit to competently drive.

If you are not doing the above and are drinking over the point of being able to drive, you are NOT among the ones respecting the laws.

In terms of defensive driving, if it saves your life, what's wrong with that? The fact that you have to take one more test? The fact that you learn to become a better driver? If you're already a good driver then great, this should be easy for you. If not, then clearly you're not as good at driving as you think, which I've definately been in the passenger seat with a few who would fall into that category. I've been almost hit more than once with people on their phones while driving. Simply put, people get their license and then... almost done care a lot of the time.

Edited by The Lock