[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This is leaving the people who respect the laws. The people who would be penalized from this are the ones who are not deemed competent with alchohol since they are the ones who thought "it was fine" to be able to drive when they've had enough to drink to cause themselves to be unfit to competently drive.

If you are not doing the above and are drinking over the point of being able to drive, you are NOT among the ones respecting the laws.

In terms of defensive driving, if it saves your life, what's wrong with that?

Personally I have taken defensive driving as well as learnt to race and raced cars so I can handle and maneuver cars at high speed. Apart from almost being killed by a drunk t-boning me doing 110 in a residential area while running a red light when I was 21 I have never been in a car accident  but due to my maneuvering skill and the fact I actually know whats going on behind me, beside me and as far as I can see ahead of me at all times I have been able to avoid numerous accidents. Unfortunately awareness is not a requirement to drive, too many people have no clue whats going on 2 car lengths in front of them, add booze or a cell phone into the mix and they are a lethal weapon.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Personally I have taken defensive driving as well as learnt to race and raced cars so I can handle and maneuver cars at high speed. Apart from almost being killed by a drunk t-boning me doing 110 in a residential area while running a red light when I was 21 I have never been in a car accident  but due to my maneuvering skill and the fact I actually know whats going on behind me, beside me and as far as I can see ahead of me at all times I have been able to avoid numerous accidents. Unfortunately awareness is not a requirement to drive, too many people have no clue whats going on 2 car lengths in front of them, add booze or a cell phone into the mix and they are a lethal weapon.

Yeah, being able to react accordingly is huge. You never know when something if about to threaten your life and you have a split second to make a decision. Having that information already implanted saves lives.

• Cheers 1

Just now, EastCoastExpress said:

I wish this thread was about how much we lost.

It does suck that it comes to this, but given the scenario, it's going to come to drunk driving. It's meant no disrespect to Gaudreau, but I know that, if this happened to me, I'd want this discussion to happen.

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It does suck that it comes to this, but given the scenario, it's going to come to drunk driving. It's meant no disrespect to Gaudreau, but I know that, if this happened to me, I'd want this discussion to happen.

the guy passing a car on the right is an ass hole whether he is drunk or sober or even a cop.

Whoever it is will never recover from this guilt and remorse. Its just horrible.

Edited by EastCoastExpress
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I took defensive driving when I started driving....highly recommend that everyone be required to take a course.

Thing is, this doesn't seem like an issue with driving....more an issue with judgement, impairment, and entitlement. Driving drunk and like he owned the road..

Oh, for sure. This dork wasn't fit to drive at all. He should never see the light of day again.

2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Oh, for sure. This dork wasn't fit to drive at all. He should never see the light of day again.

What if it was you driving.

I have made mistakes, none like this of course.

but I swear I have as much guilt over the smallest thing that consumes my "light of day" all on its own.

I pity this man, who has to live with such a crime.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

What if it was you driving.

I have made mistakes, none like this of course.

but I swear I have as much guilt over the smallest thing that consumes my "light of day" all on its own.

I pity this man, who has to live with such a crime.

if it was me driving the accident never would have happened, I will not take so much as a sip of alcohol if I have to drive and I’d never swoop down to the right and pass on the shoulder like he did, he made his decisions, time to pay for them and since he’s proven he doesn’t learn I too hope he gets the max.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

You never get over it.  And those parents lost two. 

I've always told my daughter not to worry

If anything happens to you, dad will follow right behind you. 

I couldn't handle it.  

I feel there pain and maybe I have no right, but this has me very angry.

I believe in forgiveness but also in consequences.

Life in prison no parole. 

I have two daughters and a son and feel exactly the same way but before I went I'd take out the person responsible, I agree 100% Life in prison no parole. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:18 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

Yep, "always leave yourself an out".

On a highway entrance ramp, some idiot going the wrong way came right at me/us (had my son in the car). I had to veer right onto the grass to avoid a head on.

I actually saw a woman using her rearview mirror to put mascara on while on that same highway (99). 

These days you really do have to be SO aware of what people around you are doing and expect the unexpected.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

On 8/31/2024 at 7:53 PM, Morgan 33 said:

I'm not assuming that at all.  I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion in light of what happened.  I just don't like how Debs proposed solution punishes the people that are and by extension makes everyone guilty until proven innocent.  This is clearly an alcohol related issue and as someone who does not drink, let alone drink and drive, the idea of having giving up more of the little free time I have to take a mandatory, defensive driving course because of this asshole pisses me right off. 

Now if your advocating it be a requirement for getting a license, that's a different story all-together.  I agree with Dumb Nuck that drivers licenses are too easy to obtain.  But no, people who don't drink, have no impaired driving record and have never been in an accident should not have to take a mandatory defensive driving course.  Should everyone, even people who don't drink, be forced to attend mandatory AA meetings?  Or state mandated presentations on the dangers of alcohol?  Don't answer that.

A better solution would be a permanent revocation of a license if you are caught drinking and driving even once.  No more warnings.  If your caught drinking and driving, you waive your privilege to operate a motor vehicle. Period.  The perpetrator was caught drinking and driving before and he was able to do it again, resulting in this senseless tragedy.  A zero tolerance approach would have averted this.

The challenge we faced when we have harsher laws, i.e. longer bans on driver's licenses makes this complicated . More people driving with out a license do not have insurance. No licence, no insurance. This leaves victims with little financial recourse. People like this guy who ignore responsibility will drive whether licensed or insured. There are too many of those on our roads already. I am all for harsher penalties but a lifetime prohibition on a first offence would lead to other problems. A zero tolerance approach, as good as it sounds, will not lessen these tragedies. Well ok, it would lessen some, but the most blatant of these types will still drive, still drink and drive etc. But it must be treated as any other assault or homicide crime. It isn't. It is a step below manslaughter, a step below assault with intent etc. We need to treat offenders more seriously I think by upgrading the assault and deaths in a more serious manner. If you drink and drive and injury someone treat it the same way as if the person took a baseball bat and deliberately beat someone with it. Unfortunately there are stories every year and of someone who has X convictions, no license or insurance and is still driving. 

The guy that Johnny and Matt had a previous DUI that was dropped when the police officer failed to show up to give evidence. Some suggestion that it was a "courtesy" to a warrior. So he got away with it. And he still did not learn. The man worked for an addiction centre for crying out loud. He was aware that when he drank and drove he became more agressive and impatient on the road. That makes this more tragic and more avoidable. He had awareness. And still he drove under the influence. Now he faces two counts and manslaughter with a maximum sentence of 10 years, served concurrently. He can be out of jail in 5 years for good behaviour. His lawyer will argue that the driver he was trying to pass was at fault as he moved to the centre of the road. I doubt that works given the magnitude of who was killed. But who knows. He served his country honourably, was still an active member of the National Guard. Maybe that plays with the court. 

No amount of punishment will undue what was done. But this sort of thing happens everyday in Canada and the USA. It is a big deal because of who the victim is. That is sad. It should be a big deal all the time. So I dont know what the appropriate punishment should be. He too is a father of young children and has a wife. Is he capable of remorse and rehabilitation? Is he worthy of forgiveness? I just don't know. 

6 hours ago, Lady Blue Green said:

The challenge we faced when we have harsher laws, i.e. longer bans on driver's licenses makes this complicated . More people driving with out a license do not have insurance. No licence, no insurance. This leaves victims with little financial recourse. People like this guy who ignore responsibility will drive whether licensed or insured. There are too many of those on our roads already. I am all for harsher penalties but a lifetime prohibition on a first offence would lead to other problems. A zero tolerance approach, as good as it sounds, will not lessen these tragedies. Well ok, it would lessen some, but the most blatant of these types will still drive, still drink and drive etc. But it must be treated as any other assault or homicide crime. It isn't. It is a step below manslaughter, a step below assault with intent etc. We need to treat offenders more seriously I think by upgrading the assault and deaths in a more serious manner. If you drink and drive and injury someone treat it the same way as if the person took a baseball bat and deliberately beat someone with it. Unfortunately there are stories every year and of someone who has X convictions, no license or insurance and is still driving. 

The guy that Johnny and Matt had a previous DUI that was dropped when the police officer failed to show up to give evidence. Some suggestion that it was a "courtesy" to a warrior. So he got away with it. And he still did not learn. The man worked for an addiction centre for crying out loud. He was aware that when he drank and drove he became more agressive and impatient on the road. That makes this more tragic and more avoidable. He had awareness. And still he drove under the influence. Now he faces two counts and manslaughter with a maximum sentence of 10 years, served concurrently. He can be out of jail in 5 years for good behaviour. His lawyer will argue that the driver he was trying to pass was at fault as he moved to the centre of the road. I doubt that works given the magnitude of who was killed. But who knows. He served his country honourably, was still an active member of the National Guard. Maybe that plays with the court. 

No amount of punishment will undue what was done. But this sort of thing happens everyday in Canada and the USA. It is a big deal because of who the victim is. That is sad. It should be a big deal all the time. So I dont know what the appropriate punishment should be. He too is a father of young children and has a wife. Is he capable of remorse and rehabilitation? Is he worthy of forgiveness? I just don't know. 

The crime can’t be repeated if the offender is hanged. 

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

A lot of players have posted on the matter, but it looks like Caufield will be switching back to #13 in tribute 

IMG_3300.thumb.jpeg.578763c1c3d47aaab86a2cb48bc640ab.jpeg

Hate the Habs but like CC here. Yes he’s a Smurf and way overrated and overhyped, but this gesture by him is 100% class. Sure, CC is an overpaid puck sucker but he did good with this. 

• Like 1