[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

On 8/31/2024 at 9:48 PM, EastCoastExpress said:

What if it was you driving.

I have made mistakes, none like this of course.

but I swear I have as much guilt over the smallest thing that consumes my "light of day" all on its own.

I pity this man, who has to live with such a crime.

Innocent mistakes are completely different than being an extremely aggressive driver while intoxicated & killing 2 innocent men who had no choice in the drivers decision. 

We all make mistakes but murdering is not the same guilt as the smallest things like running out of gas...

He should live with it for at least the 10 year max sentence (fkn joke),  the Gaudreau family sure has to forever.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2024 at 9:48 PM, EastCoastExpress said:

What if it was you driving.

I have made mistakes, none like this of course.

but I swear I have as much guilt over the smallest thing that consumes my "light of day" all on its own.

I pity this man, who has to live with such a crime.

Fuck him. He didnt "make a mistske"  He commited a crime the moment he got behind the wheel while drunk. He should be forced to look at photos from the crime scene along with pictures of the childten he orphaned every day for the rest of his life 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Fuck him. He didnt "make a mistske"  He commited a crime the moment he got behind the wheel while drunk. He should be forced to look at photos from the crime scene along with pictures of the childten he orphaned every day for the rest of his life 

Yep. Even his reactions after the fact...what a self-centred douchebag. Not expressing remorse, regret, or concern for the families he's just decimated. Nope..."sigh...in here until Thursday?"  That's where his concern lies???

F off. Use your time in jail to reflect and figure your sh out and be a better father to YOUR kids when provided the opportunity. If this idiot doesn't smarten up for himself, at least he should try harder for his kids.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yep. Even his reactions after the fact...what a self-centred douchebag. Not expressing remorse, regret, or concern for the families he's just decimated. Nope..."sigh...in here until Thursday?"  That's where his concern lies???

F off. Use your time in jail to reflect and figure your sh out and be a better father to YOUR kids when provided the opportunity. If this idiot doesn't smarten up for himself, at least he should try harder for his kids.

I'd bet the farm he's pulled the passing on the right crap many many times. This wasn't a mistake. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Hypocrisy at work..

Higgins was an employee at Gaudenzia, a nonprofit drug and alcohol treatment center, at the time of the crash. He has since been placed on leave by the organization, officials said in a statement on Facebook.

Higgins told a responding officer he had five or six beers prior to the crash and admitted to consuming alcohol while driving, according to the criminal complaint obtained by The Associated Press. He failed a field sobriety test, the complaint said, though his blood-alcohol level was not immediately available.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are far too soft on murderers. 

It’s tough. My personal belief is that we are far too soft on DUIs. What’s the difference between a DUI and someone that is drunk and killed someone? Nothing really, just a matter of chance. They both had the exact same intent, one was just luckier than the other. I think if you had much stiffer penalties for DUIs, maybe even like mandatory jail time if you are over a certain alcohol limit, this would happen less. I don’t think punishing the guys harder who end up killing someone is the solution. They get punished plenty hard enough, and it doesn’t detract others from doing it. 

edit: just to be clear, I don’t mean to defend this guy or any drunk driver who kills people, they should go to jail for many years, and they will. I just want stiffer penalties for normal DUIs. 

Edited by Pianoman
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

It’s tough. My personal belief is that we are far too soft on DUIs. What’s the difference between a DUI and someone that is drunk and killed someone? Nothing really, just a matter of chance. They both had the exact same intent, one was just luckier than the other. I think if you had much stiffer penalties for DUIs, maybe even like mandatory jail time if you are over a certain alcohol limit, this would happen less. I don’t think punishing the guys harder who end up killing someone is the solution. They get punished plenty hard enough, and it doesn’t detract others from doing it. 

edit: just to be clear, I don’t mean to defend this guy or any drunk driver who kills people, they should go to jail for many years, and they will. I just want stiffer penalties for normal DUIs. 

The high rates of repeat offenders would be nil if we hanged serious criminals. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pianoman said:

To be clear. The maximum sentence for vehicular homicide in Pennsylvania is only 7 years.  That's not factoring in the almost guaranteed reduced sentence they'd get because if overcrowding in penal system. So he'll likely do 2-3 years max for utterly decimating two families.  If you don't think a harsher penalty is in order I'm not sure what to say 

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Pianoman said:

I think one of the biggest issues is people not being able to regulate whether or not they've had "too much." A lot of people can have a beer or two and are still under the limit but many don't know what the limit feels like for them. Now, of course, the easy solution is to not drive, but all key fobs should have a breathalyzer on them. If you're above the limit, the car doesn't turn on. Likewise, all bars should have access to breathalyzers as well. Make these measurement tools more accessible and available, and people would be better at self-regulating. 

I'm not saying this to minimize drinking and driving. I drink but I don't order a beer if I know I'm on the road soon after. I just know I'm in the minority. 

Edited by Honkin Hronek
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I think one of the biggest issues is people not being able to regulate whether or not they've had "too much." A lot of people can have a beer or two and are still under the limit but many don't know what the limit feels like for them. Now, of course, the easy solution is to not drive, but all key fobs should have a breathalyzer on them. If you're above the limit, the car doesn't turn on. Likewise, all bars should have access to breathalyzers as well. Make these measurement tools more accessible and available, and people would be better at self-regulating. 

I'm not saying this to minimize drinking and driving. I drink but I don't order a beer if I know I'm on the road soon after. I just know I'm in the minority. 

I get what you're saying and I agree with the section about bars needing breathalyzers to determine sobriety. I think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

I still can't believe its real honestly.

Its so unfair to the young children, to now be growing up without fathers for no good reason... Both young men with young wives, young families & a life to live.

Its a catastrophic reminder of the gift of life, this magic journey we are on. RIP to Johnny & Matt. This is soul crushing. 

• Like 3