[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

Gary Bettman- does the right thing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/cole-caufield-breaks-rule-in-tribute-to-johnny-gaudreau-and-gary-bettman-intervenes/ar-AA1q7iaH?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=55c57f27916d4ea382a5823914c636b5&ei=6

"

There’s no doubt on how much Johnny Gaudreau was a significantly figure in the NHL, and it was even more evident on Tuesday evening when Montreal Canadiens winger Cole Caufield announced he switched his jersey number to 13 in honour of Johnny Hockey, who inspired him.

“He paved the way for smaller players and proved we had a future in this game at the highest level,” Caufield wrote. “I will forever be grateful to him for inspiring me and others.”

The number change was appropriate and moving, however, some fans will be stunned to find out that it took a special exemption from Gary Bettman to get it done.

Alexandre Tourigny of RDS revealed on Thursday how Caufield reportedly missed the deadline to make a jersey number change, but the NHL and its commissioner made an exception.

“Cole Caufield’s number change – I have been confirmed that there are no costs related to such a change for the player (unlike the NFL). That said, the deadline to make the change in Caufield’s case had passed and the NHL made an exception,” reads the post, translated from French.

---------------------------

more at link

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

To be clear. The maximum sentence for vehicular homicide in Pennsylvania is only 7 years.  That's not factoring in the almost guaranteed reduced sentence they'd get because if overcrowding in penal system. So he'll likely do 2-3 years max for utterly decimating two families.  If you don't think a harsher penalty is in order I'm not sure what to say 

In Canada it’s life in prison. I’m going by Canadian laws I guess, and speaking about the Canadian system. I’m not sure what it’s like for the states. 

12 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I think one of the biggest issues is people not being able to regulate whether or not they've had "too much." A lot of people can have a beer or two and are still under the limit but many don't know what the limit feels like for them. Now, of course, the easy solution is to not drive, but all key fobs should have a breathalyzer on them. If you're above the limit, the car doesn't turn on. Likewise, all bars should have access to breathalyzers as well. Make these measurement tools more accessible and available, and people would be better at self-regulating. 

I'm not saying this to minimize drinking and driving. I drink but I don't order a beer if I know I'm on the road soon after. I just know I'm in the minority. 

This is a good point. I think just having easier access to a breathalyzer would eliminate a lot of edge cases. 

12 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau's funeral service was earlier today. Johnny's wife also shared that she's pregnant with their third child...

https://x.com/brentseabs/status/1833204068896149555

This story just gets more and more tragic 😭

Truly no words, but lots of prayers that their family be given the courage 

Heart wrenching, I watched the funeral yesterday and it is all so tragic. Seeing their father in shambles....two wives and two sisters trying to keep it together.

Seeing Johnny's little girl wandering around, oblivious to it all. I imagine there are "where's Daddy?" questions and it's just so unfair.

Anyone who drinks and drives at this point is just selfish and irresponsible. There is no excuse anymore - there are far too many other options.

• Sad 3

Just read another article on this and it really seems like the guy’s driving was generally very aggressive and unsafe.  

I think that point sometimes gets a little lost because he was also over the limit - by .07 - but it sounds like this is something he could have done regardless of alcohol consumption.  Personally, I’m also annoyed by slow drivers like anyone, I can’t stand obnoxiously aggressive drivers even more.  Just selfish and reckless.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Duke said:

Just read another article on this and it really seems like the guy’s driving was generally very aggressive and unsafe.  

I think that point sometimes gets a little lost because he was also over the limit - by .07 - but it sounds like this is something he could have done regardless of alcohol consumption.  Personally, I’m also annoyed by slow drivers like anyone, I can’t stand obnoxiously aggressive drivers even more.  Just selfish and reckless.

Exceeded New Jersey BAC limit by 0.007 

0.07 would have put his BAC at 0.15 which renders must people unable to even stand.

Hopefully the court makes an example of him by showing no leniency period. Sentence him the maximum possible x 2.

• Like 2