[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

I have a very hate filled relationship with alcohol. This shit just adds to that hate. These men were younger than me and are gone, and they were in town for their sister's wedding. He has children that aren't even old enough to have memories of him. Absolute tragedy.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

horrible news. i feel for the families. their sister's wedding and all. this really hits home, when i was still new to smithers, i drove drunk. i drove drunk many times. this last time i was stopped by police. he said, in your condition, you could hit and kill a young kid. my son was about 7 years old, then. i never drove under the influence again. i can't imagine living life, knowing you took someones life.

R.I.P. johnny and mathew.

I know I said that's all from me, but felt a need to chime in here.

It was the norm back then....my parents drove drunk too. The rat pack and people had alcohol and cigarettes and it was a way of life. It wasn't taboo or thought of much.

The one time I drove under the influence was a very short (slow) drive home from a friend's (who lived a 7 minute walk from my home). Subdivision/back roads...no other cars, stop signs or lights. Just round the corner and I'm there. Except I drove over a wooden marker for the path in our complex and my kids were in the back seat. Never EVER again...that was my wake up call and I stopped drinking right then and there.

We've all done things but if we don't learn from them and adjust our behaviour, that's when there's a problem.

In this day and age with all we've learned...no one should be getting behind the wheel under the influence.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Tearing up as I read the news.  What a sad news. 

I'm about to return home to attend my niece's wedding next week.

Well said Mr. Burke!

Life is precious and can easily be taken for granted. Things can happen and shatter your world in seconds. Hug your family and friends a little closer today. 

• Roger Neilsons Towel changed the title to [Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

Awful news. He was a really good hockey player. I never liked when Vancouver had to play against him because he was such a skilled player and always made it difficult to play against. RIP. :classic_sad:

Rip johny hockey. I cheered against you as a player but i respect you big time as a human. Tragic is an understatement. May you rest in peace and prayers to the family. 

I used to party a lot. I stopped drinking 2 ish years ago because i decided i dont like who i am when i drink Anymore. Its evident now when i look back because i notice i dont make the same stupid decisions. My life is much more stable and im way healthier. I wish everyone who was like me would realize this in the same way. However, It feels like self awareness and maturity is becoming more and more rare these days.

finally I just want to pour as much love and support to all the cdc/cff family. I hope yall are okay. Hockey is just around the corner and we will all be cheering together soon. 

Edited by XxNaslundxX
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Auto makers will say it is too expensive to install a breath checker in every car.

I say it is too expensive, not to.

Well past time the governments stepped in, and ordered it done.

The problem is people will just hire a neighbour or something to blow in or leave their car running… I’ve actually known people that  had breathalyzers installed that did this. It’s sickening, but there’s too many ways around it for it to be a viable solution.

The real solution is they need hard-core punishment black-and-white no gray zone if you drink and drive you are committing one of the highest level of crimes up there with murder, rape, etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

In my young, stupid days, when we all thought we were indestructible, I, at times drove home under the influence, and that usually meant 3 or 4 others in the 

car. Nothing ever happened but could have. Never happened again after I was 20. I have been the DD more times then I remember and I'm OK with that.

From what I can gather, the most dangerous drivers are the the ones who drink, or toke, on a regular basis and feel indestructible  (Until they're not !!!).

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

In my young, stupid days, when we all thought we were indestructible, I, at times drove home under the influence, and that usually meant 3 or 4 others in the 

car. Nothing ever happened but could have. Never happened again after I was 20. I have been the DD more times then I remember and I'm OK with that.

From what I can gather, the most dangerous drivers are the the ones who drink, or toke, on a regular basis and feel indestructible  (Until they're not !!!).

I myself had those moments as a youngster. Man, embarrassing to think back to how many times I drove and absolutely shouldn't of. I grew up, got extremely lucky, and don't gamble with lives anymore. Different times now, different awareness and education. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2