[Report] Johnny Gaudreau (31) and brother Matthew (29) killed by drunk driver

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Worst part is the driver was hitting them from behind. They didn't stand a chance. 

Even when you are doing your best it just takes one jackass to destroy a life/lives. 

There's always going to be careless assholes on the road. When Terry Fox was doing his marathon of hope in the early days in NFLD and the Maritimes many people purposely tried to run him off the road. One time he barely managed to get out of the way and tumbled into a ditch winding up soaking wet.

People will know Terry Fox ran out of his way to Saint John for a reason!” ... I was tired and weary because people are continuously forcing me off the road.

Some people just suck.

• Sad 3
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Even had the audacity to roll his eyes when the judge told him he'd be there til' Thursday..What a piece of work and POS!

His own life probably means so little to him. When you're drinking like this - not to make any excuses for his shitty decisionmaking, or lack thereof - he's likely not having a good life himself. When you look at it that way, it makes sense why he appears to care so little.

The driver never should be allowed to drive again. Choosing to go behind the wheel under the influence shows a complete lack of consideration for others. Being depressed should not be an excuse, but he should use the rest of his life to fix his mistakes (if that's even possible) because the guilt he should be feeling now will be a permanent one.

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

To be fair, he may take some time to 'come to terms' with what he had done. I absolutely DESPISE DUIs and in no way am I intending to make excuses for this driver, but that driver was going through something in his own life to be drinking under the influence. To be absolutely clear, this man was very selfish and I think he should never be behind the wheel again. That said, there may be a phase of this driver denying/making excuses, to possibly accepting the idea that he should feel guilt (he absolutely should) for taking away a person who had clearly a bright future in more ways than one.

The driver here may just be going through the different phases of grief. Maybe the man will turn a new leaf, but regardless, he just killed two men because of his selfish driving. All I'm trying to do is to make sense of something that doesn't make much sense. The driver is a human - a flawed one - not a monster.

Cannot rely on addicted persons to do the right thing. Making a mistake and being sorry still leaves others dead and destroys families.  As has been said many times. If you choose to drink you should be treated no differently than if you pull the trigger on a weapon. Keep it simple and perhaps a lot of people will get the message.  And having said that...non addicted persons still make mistakes...but we should all continue the discussion that drinking and driving CANNOT BE TOLERATED PERIOD.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, testycal said:

Cannot rely on addicted persons to do the right thing. Making a mistake and being sorry still leaves others dead and destroys families.  As has been said many times. If you choose to drink you should be treated no differently than if you pull the trigger on a weapon. Keep it simple and perhaps a lot of people will get the message.  And having said that...non addicted persons still make mistakes...but we should all continue the discussion that drinking and driving CANNOT BE TOLERATED PERIOD.

We also can't use addiction or mental illness as an 'excuse'. The choice he made behind the wheel is reflective of his mental illness. Both things can be true. He was selfish and he can't say the alcohol caused him to crash.

All I'm saying is that we have to look at him as a human - a selfish one - and punish him for his role here. I pull no punches with this guy. This guy's driving license should be banned permanently. Some places around the word take a much more punitive approach to DUIs. I'm not necessarily promoting one's justice system over the other; however, the driver cannot whine about anything and everything that will come his way, including any punishments he may receive in his afterlife. He ruined families with his choice.

Edited by PureQuickness

Things I wonder:

Was this guy drinking in a bar, then got in his car?

did he get off sales, and open a can on his way home?

Was he a regular at that bar-if he was at one?

How many people have been caught, after drinking at that establishment. if he was in deed pubbing it up?

---------------------------------

How many people, if any, saw that guy get into his car?

did anyone call a cop?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Things I wonder:

Was this guy drinking in a bar, then got in his car?

did he get off sales, and open a can on his way home?

Was he a regular at that bar-if he was at one?

How many people have been caught, after drinking at that establishment. if he was in deed pubbing it up?

---------------------------------

How many people, if any, saw that guy get into his car?

did anyone call a cop?

Yes cause if he was at a bar he can use them for not taking his keys away.

I have seen bars take keys away,call cabs or an employee drive people home.

In any case sad news and hope his family gets all the help they need.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I used to have friend who drove like an animal. He had something in the neighborhood of 30 points and lost his license. But he was still driving around. 

He was fiddling with his tape deck one day (or that's what he said) and blew a stop sign. He creamed a guy three days before Christmas and killed him . 3 little kids. 

He got charged with criminal negligence causing death I think because of his driving record.  

His dad got a big shot lawyer and git it reduced to dangerous driving.  

He got about 8 weekends in jail. 

About a year later he was going high speed over the Dyke with his pregnant girlfriend and head on with a dump truck.  His girlfriends knees were screwed up but the baby was okay.  

From what I've seen there aren't enough consequences fir these people. 

• Like 2