[Article] Canucks: Danton Heinen or Dakota Joshua? Who's the right fit for J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser?

RWJC

Canucks: Danton Heinen or Dakota Joshua? Who's the right fit for J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser?

Patrick Johnston

The Province, August 30 2024

Alex Burrows proved to be the perfect winger for the Sedin twins.

Danton Heinen grew up a fan of Burrows and the Sedins.

Can he play the Burrows to a modern Canucks dynamic duo?

When you pencil in the Vancouver Canucks 2024-25 lineup, it sure looks like Heinen will be lined up next to J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser.

A defensively responsible winger with a touch of scoring talent, Heinen is a fascinating add by the Canucks.

He’s mostly played as a depth winger for his three previous teams, the Boston Bruins, Anaheim Ducks and Pittsburgh Penguins, but he’s still produced. Twice in the past three seasons he’s hit the upper teens in goals.

There’s little doubt he’s a perfectly suited third line winger, but could he be more? To play with Miller and Boeser means facing top-end opposition night in, night out, and being ready to be an aggressive forechecker.

Heinen admitted this week he’s excited about signing for his hometown team but was modest in replying to a question about what it is the Canucks said they’re looking for from him.

“This is a good team. It’s close to winning,” he said.

But you know that the chance to play for a high-tempo team like head coach Rick Tocchet’s Canucks has great appeal for Heinen.

“Can he be more” can also be asked of Dakota Joshua, the Canucks’ incumbent left winger on the third line. His game is more rambunctious than Heinen’s, but he’s similarly smart in his own end and has a nose for the net as well.

Joshua was on pace for 20 goals last season before breaking his hand in a fight. He was a quality third-liner for the Canucks, but given the growth in his game, could he be more?

The man himself thinks he can still do more. He’s hoping to hit the ground running this season; last season he was criticized by Tocchet during training camp for not being as prepared as he should have been. The message landed then and Joshua quickly got himself up to speed. He doesn’t want that to happen again this year.

“Last year was great for the confidence. Building off that heading into this year, maybe not looking for my footing as much to start the year, but already rolling in there with the ability to do what I can,” he declared.

After signing a lucrative contract to remain in Vancouver, a statement by the Canucks that he can repeat the success of last season, one might think Joshua is feeling pressure. He’s not, he insists.

“I feel like my game has got to stay the same. So not so much pressure I wouldn’t say, just got to show up every night,” he said, with his customary smile.

The loss to the Oilers in the second round of the playoffs stung, as it did for everyone involved with the Canucks.

“It doesn’t go away. I don’t know if it ever will,” he said of pushing away the memory of taking their rivals to a seventh game but not being able to find success. “But all you can do is get back there and give yourself another chance to right the wrongs. It’s not a good feeling, but at the same time, you know, we’re right there and very capable of a better outcome.”

IRBE ON SILOVS

Former Canucks netminder Arturs Irbe told Latvian news outlet Delfi that Arturs Silovs should be fine for the start of the season, despite the young goalie having to be held out of Latvia’ Olympic qualifier this weekend in Riga with knee inflammation. “He had a very productive and busy summer, but unfortunately he got overloaded somewhere. You have to learn from it, you need breaks, but Arturs is a person who likes to work and who likes to feel a healthy fatigue. Obviously at some unfortunate moment some small discomforts started to appear. … Like any hockey player, he tried to get work through it,” Irbe said. Silovs took some time off, but that set his preparation back and so he wasn’t 100 per cent ready to play this week, and so Irbe and his colleagues (and one suspects the Canucks) decided to sit him.

pjohnston@postmedia.com 

https://apple.news/AW0WgtyuLTVy459y4-gOb8A

• Like 4

My pick is Heinen. Think he will impress and endear himself. I like Joshua but his presence and that chemistry on the 3rd line provides reliable scoring depth which is such a boost for this club. Would love to see Debrusk with JTM and BB6…could be magic.

Regardless, really excited to see how the lines roll out and who plays with whom and in which situations. Lots of great depth and options. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think they'll try that and other things and see what works. PDG and Suter served well in that spot. I don't see why Heinen wouldn't. 

My gut is saying. 

5v5

Debrusk Pete Boeser

Dak Miller Garland

Hogz Blueger Sherwood

Heinen Suter Sprong. 

• ThereItIs 1

Either Heinen or Sherwood, I like the physicality of Sherwood, he can help dig for the puck in board battles and take pressure off Boeser. And I like the chemistry Petey and Hoglander were starting to develop, Petey, Hoglander and DeBrusk should be a good line.  But if Hoglander struggles to produce he can be sent down to the 4th line and put Heinen or Sprong on the Petey line.  I think Allvin brought in quality players that compliment the core players we have.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Either Heinen or Sherwood, I like the physicality of Sherwood, he can help dig for the puck in board battles and take pressure off Boeser. And I like the chemistry Petey and Hoglander were starting to develop, Petey, Hoglander and DeBrusk should be a good line.  But if Hoglander struggles to produce he can be sent down to the 4th line and put Heinen or Sprong on the Petey line.  I think Allvin brought in quality players that compliment the core players we have.

If the EP line does include Debrusk on LW, I reallllly hope they try out Sprong on RW. He could be deadly given the IQ of EP and the forecheck pressure of JDB and be a legit second sniper. Just have to hope he commits to, and is also given some slack, for D responsibilities from RT to allow it. 
EP needs to be unleashed this season. I like that he’s committed to a two way game but RT has said he realizes he had to open up the offense, and I think Sprong would greatly benefit from those two linemates and could be a great finisher with them. Hate to say it but if we were able to somehow have held on to Kuz, he likely still would have been dynamite with EP. I remember watching hem at camp last year and at times it was like the second coming of Sedinery. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If the EP line does include Debrusk on LW, I reallllly hope they try out Sprong on RW. He could be deadly given the IQ of EP and the forecheck pressure of JDB and be a legit second sniper. Just have to hope he commits to, and is also given some slack, for D responsibilities from RT to allow it. 
EP needs to be unleashed this season. I like that he’s committed to a two way game but RT has said he realizes he had to open up the offense, and I think Sprong would greatly benefit from those two linemates and could be a great finisher with them. Hate to say it but if we were able to somehow have held on to Kuz, he likely still would have been dynamite with EP. I remember watching hem at camp last year and at times it was like the second coming of Sedinery. 

Maybe, but Hogs did score 24 goals, I think he can score 30 + if he stays the whole season with him.  I think Tocchet can roll out 4 lines with these new players, I don't know where all the pieces will fit but it's fun to discuss.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think they'll try that and other things and see what works. PDG and Suter served well in that spot. I don't see why Heinen wouldn't. 

My gut is saying. 

5v5

Debrusk Pete Boeser

Dak Miller Garland

Hogz Blueger Sherwood

Heinen Suter Sprong. 

I dont know why you would mess with chemistry that much. Miller, Boeser and any other one of these forwards are going to be amazing (sprong, Heinen, Sherwood, Debrusk_....)

Its not hard math to see Petey with anyone is going to be better than last year. So give him Debrusk and Heinen.

A guy like Sherwood would be like a double charged PDG for the JT/Brock liine. but you can throw in Sprong to see what he can do with skilled linemates, you will be suprised.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

My gut is saying. 

5v5

Debrusk Pete Boeser

Dak Miller Garland

Hogz Blueger Sherwood

Heinen Suter Sprong. 

I don't know why you'd want to seperate Miller and Boeser. Tocchet likes his pairings and then slots in a complimentary player.  Same as Joshua and Garland, I think you can slot Suter or even Heinen in the middle of those 2.  And I think the reason they brought in DeBrusk was to give Petey some sandpaper, whether it's eventually Lekkerimaki or Sprong Tocchet has a ton of options. Way more than Mikheyev, Beauviller, Lafferty, Tocchet had Petey playing with Linus Karlsson at one point.  We're so much deeper now.  DeBrusk is a better fit with this team than Lindholm was. Petey has a lot to prove this year, I think he get over 100 points again. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I had this wild dream where our teamm went into the playoffs looking like this.  We had the fastest Blueline in the NHL, skating wise and in transitioning the puck.  And we had the most dangerous forward group in the NHL as well.  It was like 2011 all over again as the Canucks were first in every team statistic both offensively and defensive. 

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki 

Garland - Heinen - Joshua

Suter - Blueger - Sherwood

Hughes - Willander

D-Petey - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais 

Silovs 

Demko

We won the Cup

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't think you need to glue Brock to Daddy Miller. I think we will see Pete's line take over top banana and that would be better suited to Brock. Pete/Brock have had chemistry in the past too. 

I think Miller will take on a more Kessler like role this year. 

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

I had this wild dream where our teamm went into the playoffs looking like this.  We had the fastest Blueline in the NHL, skating wise and in transitioning the puck.  And we had the most dangerous forward group in the NHL as well.  It was like 2011 all over again as the Canucks were first in every team statistic both offensively and defensive. 

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki 

Garland - Heinen - Joshua

Suter - Blueger - Sherwood

Hughes - Willander

D-Petey - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais 

Silovs 

Demko

We won the Cup

Dreamy.

Heinen career in the dot. 

image.png.57055388a668b9ec292dac8b30660f19.png

• Haha 1

Joshua Bleugar Garland have proven chemistry.

Personally I see Suter as more of a winger.  He might stay in his spot if he comes into camp in great shape. 

Heinen is an unknown for me

My sleeper is Keifer Sherwood.  He’s one of those guys who could pop given his age and the opportunity.  He’s got a bunch of qualities that could complement Miller/Boeser.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

and what about a higher profile if Demko goes to LTIR ? we would have 7.5M to work with when the season starts. 

and when he comes back?

3 hours ago, tas said:

and when he comes back?

I read it could take something like 7 months to get back. Add some conditional work to catch up the team, and we are already close to the playoffs… Either we would have others players in IR, or his pro rated salary at this time could fit. 
to be honest, i would trade him, since the last year and his questionning Health issues. 

my spidey sense says:

DeBrusk-Petey-Sprong

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Dak-Bluegar-Blais

Hogs-Suter-Sherwood

I think Garland gets moved to make room for another goalie. We don't lose any snarl with this lineup, and Petey gets an aggressive forecheck partner and a dangerous shooter, gives Petey all the chances for successes this year. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

saying that joshua shouldn't get a shot on miller's wing because of how he has chemistry with his 3rd line mates, is so wrong.

it's like saying that kesler and burrows are such good 3rd liners, they should never  be given a shot, higher in the line up.

his gritty play will take some of the heavy lifting off miller's shoulders.

But what about the chemistry 6 and 9 have?

Also...skating styles differ in my view between Heinen and Joshua. Joshua's more of a "lugger" (made that up, but hopefully some of you get what I mean by that).and the heavy play is what I love about him. Miller reacts quickly and fires passes off that you have to be ready for...I think Heinen plays a "quicker" game and would be able to receive those bullets.

I just see Joshua fitting better elsewhere. FTR, my guess is JT won't change the heavy lifter part as that's just who he is/how he plays.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

Hopefully every player will come to training camp, healthy and ready to play at their best.  The competition

will dictate the placements in the lineup: skill and chemistry will be clear before the season begins.  It may

take some time for the new players to adjust to the system, but that's what training camp is for.

Although the lineup will be shaped during September, we all know that it will continue to develop and there

will be changes made during the season.  Going into a new season, this group offers the coaching staff

many options.

• Cheers 2

I think the only certainties at this point are (in no particular order in each row):

Top-6 Cs: Miller/ Petey
Bottom-6 Cs: Blueger/ Suter, Aman

Top-6 W's: DeBrusk, Boeser
Middle-6 W's: Heinen, Hoglander, Sprong, Garland, Joshua, Sherwood, PDG

Top-4 Ds: Hughes, Hronek, Soucy
Top-6 Ds: Myers, Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen?

Goalies: Demko/ Silovs

With the top of each positional pecking order decided, we can let the rest of the chips fall where they may through internal competition to see who fits best where.  Unless they've proven their worth in each spot, even vaunted duos like Joshua-Garland shouldn't be presumed lest there be a better partner already in our ranks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1