2024 Young Stars Classic Thread

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

I watched all the highlights. One thing that is exciting is Bains has good goal scoring instincts and knows where to he to get high danger opportunities. He didnt capitalize on them though. Looked like he was taking too much time sorting out his release.

If Bains works on getting his shot off quicker who could be a sleeper middle 6 inbthe future

I agree!

I watched him a couple of weeks ago when he participated in the 4 day charity event in Richmond and was impressed by his drive to/around the net. I actually grabbed some video of him (and others).

He does have to work on his release for sure (noticed that too) but if/when he puts it all together, he could provide some extra scoring for us down the road.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I agree!

I watched him a couple of weeks ago when he participated in the 4 day charity event in Richmond and was impressed by his drive to/around the net. I actually grabbed some video of him (and others).

He does have to work on his release for sure (noticed that too) but if/when he puts it all together, he could provide some extra scoring for us down the road.

I wanna say skill is easier to teach than awareness aswell

So stoked to have Hockey back !!! I got to see the game live yesterday and it looked a lot like last year in terms of dominance and professional polish from the Canucks. 

You can argue, like Drance the Clown, that we might be overloading this event with our pro players but I personally love how under this management we seem to be setting the standard on how we play and how we win from this very first prospect game of the season.

I think the whole team played a really disciplined and pretty quality game, but its always fun to pick winners and losers so here we go : 

Winners : 

Lekkerimaki - WoW... I gotta admit I was a bit down and thought this kid was gonna be yet another high profile bust after his mono affected season, but I'm happy to eat some crow at this point - the kid was the most dominant player offensively I have seen at this event since Petey.  How he didn't actually score I have no idea, but the chances he generated were scary, his puck handling and vision are insane and he was constantly in soft, open area's of the ice.

Bains / Raty - both looked a cut above the other players in terms of poise and quality - They didn't have the same quality moments as JL - but controlled play really well and looked really tidy.  The only slight concern is neither seemed to have really improved their foot speed - but that being said didn't really have a  huge chance to throw the burners on - The Oil really backed off them and flooded the zone every shift they were on the ice after they ripped them to shreds for the first 10 mins or so. Hope they keep that first line together as these are the guys that have the biggest chance of making the leap and sticking with the big boys and they all really need to prove they are worthy of that and have made the step up needed. So getting them in the spot light and pumping their confidence from day 1 is a great way to go. 

Kudryavtsev - Best looking D on the ice IMO - didn't look pro ready yet, but he's in with a chance. Intelligent, progressive, and good in his own end. Mini-Hughes 🙂

Tolopilo - Another goalie controversy waiting to happen lol - This kid is cold as hell - Tight, controlled and dialled in. Didn't look like concerning in 6 periods let alone 3. 

Max - Fast, Smart, and knows how to play greesy as well as on the fast breaks - I could see him getting some call up mins this year if we loose a center or 2. 

Alriksson - Honourable mention... didn't exactly blow the roof off - but for a lad of his size, he can skate, handle the puck ok, and use his size really effectively - still a long way to go - but there's some hope here this guy could be 'The Next Joshua' in a few years. 

Loosers : 

Klimo - Kid still looks like a dyanmite power forward in the making with serious wheels and a cannon of a shot... Sadly, the comparisons to Podz are gonna be hard to shake. He makes terrible decisions with the puck, turns it over cheaply, looks lost in his own end a bit, and just seems behind the play a lot - He did have a nightmare season last year - so too early to write him off - but, I'm not hopeful he's gonna be able to turn it around. 

Hirose - Didn't look terrible, but wasn't overly tidy either, some clumsy plays, and for someone with his experience you would expect him to dominate this tournament and really stand out on the back end but he actually looked behind EPD and KK

As I said the rest of the guys all looked good sharp prospects but didn't really separate themselves from the pack as someone I would say is knocking on the door for a NHL job anytime soon - which is perfectly fine for a lot of the first year players and invites. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I agree!

It'll come. It's always a little harder when you have the presser of being a mainstream local who kicks but on the Abbotsford team. You can see the tremendous 

desire to succeed, and that's what counts at this point. 

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

For you guys out there who play hockey, what makes a good face-off player?  Technique; positioning; knowing linesmen's tendencies; fast-twitch muscles?  What made Horvat so good?

You mean WHO made Horvat so good, here is a couple quotes from Wikipedia about Manny Malhotra:

2012, as a Canuck after eye injury: "However, he remained among the league's elite in terms of faceoffs, ranking fourth with a 58.5% winning percentage.[46]"

"On September 7, 2016, the Vancouver Canucks announced that Malhotra would join the team as a development coach. This was announced shortly following his retirement.[56]

On June 7, 2017, the Canucks announced that Malhotra was hired as assistant coach"

Edited by EastCoastExpress
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Johnny said:

I watched all the highlights. One thing that is exciting is Bains has good goal scoring instincts and knows where to he to get high danger opportunities. He didnt capitalize on them though. Looked like he was taking too much time sorting out his release.

If Bains works on getting his shot off quicker who could be a sleeper middle 6 inbthe future

I only got to catch about the second half the game.

Who surprised me the most was Romani and Patterson (although Patterson was playing with Sasson so might have got a bump)

Kudrayavtsev looked great, however I think his Dpetey helped with that?

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. If guys want to have nhl careers they have to listen to those who have been there, especially Malholtra. He was a high pick (top ten I think?) who was out of the league so he changed his game to fit a needed role. Raty wasn’t do high a pick but did come out of his draft with high expectations. If he listens and learns from Malholtra the role he needs to play to be an NHLer, we will have ourselves a heck of a player. 

6 hours ago, Googlie said:

For you guys out there who play hockey, what makes a good face-off player?  Technique; positioning; knowing linesmen's tendencies; fast-twitch muscles?  What made Horvat so good?

Horvat wasn't really good at taking draws

It's really strength and the subtle ways guys take draws.  Jt Miller is a bull taking draws.  Sid Crosby is a Lion

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Tomorrow? Right?

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-announce-schedule-ticket-packages-for-2024-young-stars-classic

2024 YOUNG STARS CLASSIC GAME SCHEDULE

Game 1 

Calgary vs Winnipeg

Fri, Sept. 13

4:00 PM PT 

Game 2

Vancouver vs Edmonton 

Fri, Sept. 13 

7:30 PM PT 

VEES EXHIB

Penticton Vees vs. Salmon Arm

Sat, Sept. 14

3:00 PM PT

Game 3 

Calgary vs Edmonton 

Sat, Sept. 14

7:30 PM PT 

Game 4 

Vancouver vs Winnipeg 

Sun, Sept. 15 

2:00 PM PT 

Game 5 

Winnipeg vs Edmonton

Mon, Sept. 16 

11:00 AM PT 

Game 6 

Calgary vs Vancouver 

Mon, Sept. 16 

2:30 PM PT 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

Based on the practice lines yesterday, Romani is going to play with Sasson and Patterson on 2nd line and Klimovich with Alriksson and Mueller on 4th line. We are going to see Mynio with Felton on 2nd D pair. 

Yeah that is a sweet line up. Both Romani and Patterson looked amazing but were on different lines. And Sasson just was as expected.

This is going to be a sweet game to watch!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bell said:

foot  out of mouth

Dont worry about it, perhaps you were thinking of Horvat's percentages BEFORE manny came in as faceoff coach, and look at the bump....

If we have Manny again, I think he can help Petey too. But in that last game you could already see Raty and Sasson have benefited. there is some Malholtra style there

• Like 1