(Speculation) Calgary's Rebuild

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Problems is the prospect would probably be Willander and the pick would be a 1st.

We can’t afford to be doing that.

I'd give them a first but not Willander unless they take Garland back with no retention. 

That being said, Garland, Willander and a 1st? With the current roster, if they feel like Demko will be 100% this season? It would be tempting to go all in. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We need LHD not RHD.  Willander will be better than Weegar or Andersson...

Kadri would be a nice addition as a 3C.  However, his cap hit would be an issue.  If they are willing to retain $1.5 million, I'd be interested in a deal for Kadri...

But Andersson is an upgrade on most of our RHD Options. If he comes in, with the reasonable contract he has, Gives them the freedom to move others and manipulate the cap more. 

2 minutes ago, BenMaverick said:

But Andersson is an upgrade on most of our RHD Options. If he comes in, with the reasonable contract he has, Gives them the freedom to move others and manipulate the cap more. 

He's not an upgrade on Hronek.  Myers is signed for 3 more years.  We can't really move him.  Desharnais is perfect on the 3rd pairing.  Willander will eventually take Myers spot on the 2nd pair.

We need a top 4 LHD to play with Willander.  Maybe DPetey is that guy...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, BenMaverick said:

I'd give them a first but not Willander unless they take Garland back with no retention. 

That being said, Garland, Willander and a 1st? With the current roster, if they feel like Demko will be 100% this season? It would be tempting to go all in. 

If we're trading for Andersson, it means we're running Hronek and Andersson for the foreseeable future on the right side top 4. Making Willander a little less of a need. It really boils down to how badly are we in win now mode. After last year's rentals, we depleted what was already a pretty middling depth chart. We are down to Lekkerimaki, Willander and Raty. Honorable mention to D Petey. With that said, I have to wonder if both teams are done doing business with each other for a while. We sent them a lot of picks and prospects for UFAs and it sounded like Calgary wasn't keen on sending us Tanev last year. Assuming we were even in on him.

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Problems is the prospect would probably be Willander and the pick would be a 1st.

We can’t afford to be doing that.

We wouldn't be trading Willander. It'll be a young roster player, a 1st and probably another prospect. Something like Höglander, Kudryatsev a 1st and 4th should do it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We need LHD not RHD.  Willander will be better than Weegar or Andersson...

Kadri would be a nice addition as a 3C.  However, his cap hit would be an issue.  If they are willing to retain $1.5 million, I'd be interested in a deal for Kadri...

we sure do need a RHD.  Myers shouldn’t be in the top four.

Hughes-Hronek 

Soucy-Anderson (PK pairing)

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Hughes-Hronek 

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

Now that is a championship calibre defence. I know we started off really good with the top 4 we currently have last year, but adding a proven higher end guy really makes it that much better. I'd hate to see Höglander go but if he isn't going to see regular top six minutes then it would be smart to sell high on him. 

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

Hughes-Hronek 

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

Andersson is going to need to get paid in 2 years.  Do you really want to go all in on Andersson and then have to pay him $8 million+ in 2 years?  Willander is trending similar to Charlie McAvoy.  He is going to be better than Andersson and will be on a cheap contract for many years.  You have to think about the cap here.

Also, we didn't sign Desharnais for $2 million to ride the press box.  Tocchet likes his defence big.  Desharnais is basically the replacement for Zadorov.  He has potential to get better too.  I think they have high hopes for Desharnais to be more than a press box guy...

Also, they would probably want Willander back in the trade for Andersson.  I wouldn't do that deal.  I don't think Allvin does it either...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Andersson is going to need to get paid in 2 years.  Do you really want to go all in on Andersson and then have to pay him $8 million+ in 2 years?  Willander is trending simialr to Charlie McAvoy.  He is going to be better than Andersson and will be on a cheap contract for many years.  You have to think about the cap here.

Also, we didn't sign Desharnais for $2 million to ride the press box.  Tocchet likes his defence big.  Desharnais is basically the replacement for Zadorov.  He has potential to get better too.  I think they have high hopes for Desharnais to be more than a press box guy...

Then in that instance you could slide Desharnais to the left side and recreate the twin towers that way, and have your six best defensemen in your lineup on any given night.