(Speculation) Calgary's Rebuild

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Desharnais is a RHD, he can't play the left side, neither can Myers...

Yes and for now let our prospects simmer for a year or two and make sure they are ready.

Unless they just bring it and out play everyone.

Edited by cripplereh
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Andersson is going to need to get paid in 2 years.  Do you really want to go all in on Andersson and then have to pay him $8 million+ in 2 years?  Willander is trending similar to Charlie McAvoy.  He is going to be better than Andersson and will be on a cheap contract for many years.  You have to think about the cap here.

Also, we didn't sign Desharnais for $2 million to ride the press box.  Tocchet likes his defence big.  Desharnais is basically the replacement for Zadorov.  He has potential to get better too.  I think they have high hopes for Desharnais to be more than a press box guy...

Also, they would probably want Willander back in the trade for Andersson.  I wouldn't do that deal.  I don't think Allvin does it either...

I wouldn't trade Willander for sure, I didn't mention his name at all.  Some other folks just speculated that could be an ask in return... Lekkerimaki maybe if they retain on Anderson.

We can find decent middle six wingers in free agency.  Top four D are hard to come by.

Anderson for two years as a bridge until Willander can start thinking about playing meaningful minutes sounds just fine.

Edited by Provost

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wouldn't trade Willander for sure, I didn't mention his name at all.  Some other folks just speculated that could be an ask in return... Lekkerimaki maybe if they retain on Anderson.

We can find decent middle six wingers in free agency.  Top four D are hard to come by.

Anderson for two years as a bridge until Willander can start thinking about playing meaningful minutes sounds just fine.

Sure, but in 2 years when Willander is ready for top 4 minutes and we have a 29 year old Andersson wanting an 8x8 deal, then what?  That’s the issue. 

I’d rather run with Myers and Desharnais on the right side for the next 2 years. Tocchet likes the big defence. We need a better partner for Myers IMO. Soucy/Desharnais would be a great 3rd pairing. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

With Hughes eventually going to need a contract extension down the line. We'd be crazy to let go of Willander. We need good and cheap defensive options. 

Great point Ghost.  When Willander eventually makes the squad, his ELC is going to be invaluable.   As for the ppl mentioning the 'all in' scenario,  imo we're quite a ways away from even having preliminary discussions on that.  Current management seems to be very pro-active on most things, so you never know though..... 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Great point Ghost.  When Willander eventually makes the squad, his ELC is going to be invaluable.   As for the ppl mentioning the 'all in' scenario,  imo we're quite a ways away from even having preliminary discussions on that.  Current management seems to be very pro-active on most things, so you never know though..... 

I agree about the Willander part, but not about the going all in part. With how wide open the West is right now I think our window to really go for it is the next 2-3 years, so we could make moves to signify that at any point over that stretch. 

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Andersson is going to need to get paid in 2 years.  Do you really want to go all in on Andersson and then have to pay him $8 million+ in 2 years?  Willander is trending similar to Charlie McAvoy.  He is going to be better than Andersson and will be on a cheap contract for many years.  You have to think about the cap here.

Also, we didn't sign Desharnais for $2 million to ride the press box.  Tocchet likes his defence big.  Desharnais is basically the replacement for Zadorov.  He has potential to get better too.  I think they have high hopes for Desharnais to be more than a press box guy...

Also, they would probably want Willander back in the trade for Andersson.  I wouldn't do that deal.  I don't think Allvin does it either...

If we can get Rasmus we have a strong offence on the right side and can let Willander cook for two years. 
when Rasmus is gone Willander comes in.

With Rasmus Petey got his RD that can put pressure going forward similar as Hughes on left side with Miller. 
That two punch offense is probably too much for practically any team. 

We don’t need any 1st picks for a long time.

We need great players now.

Its too late to ask for a refund for Sven Bearcheese at this point I take it ? 🤦‍♂️

Don't think  there is really much we can do here - we don't have enough 'spare' prospects that would work( I see Willy + Lek being necessary to cover the OEL Buyout).  2025 second isn't enough to get it done and we could probably get someone who moves the needle more with our 2025 first. 

21 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Weegar is probably a better fit with our roster after signing Myers for next 3 seasons

Hughes Hronek

Weegar Myers

Soucy Desharnais

Forbort Juulsen

What would it cost to acquire Weegar though?

Weager is a legit top pairing RHD and has been for years.   Got his big legacy deal though.   I'd actually consider Kadri.   We don't have a center in the system, and with some retention would more than replace Lindholm.   Not sure what the ask would be.   Both Weager and Kadri wouldn't cost much, the reward for CAL is to get under those deals as they won't age well.    We don't have the cap space though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 9/3/2024 at 3:35 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

We need LHD not RHD.  Willander will be better than Weegar or Andersson...

Kadri would be a nice addition as a 3C.  However, his cap hit would be an issue.  If they are willing to retain $1.5 million, I'd be interested in a deal for Kadri...

Bingo.   Was my first thought too. 

He's playing as their first line center, has learned to calm himself in the playoffs (and he's very good when he's not on the scoreboard)...We were willing to give Lindholm the exact same deal he's already on.    What would the cost be?   A first for sure, and maybe a third again...with retention down to 5.5, we could trade Garland, and they'd have another player who teams want, and fit him in now.    With the glut of wingers we have, and that sort of center depth, i'd say we are only a healthy Demko and a top four D rental away from cup(s). . 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Weager is a legit top pairing RHD and has been for years.   Got his big legacy deal though.   I'd actually consider Kadri.   We don't have a center in the system, and with some retention would more than replace Lindholm.   Not sure what the ask would be.   Both Weager and Kadri wouldn't cost much, the reward for CAL is to get under those deals as they won't age well.    We don't have the cap space though. 

Weegar is also very comfortable playing left side, so extremely versatile. Could slot into the top pairing with Hughes or Hronek in case of injury. Otherwise provides a nice balance to Myers on the 2nd pairing. I think you'd need to send Garland the other way to make the cap work. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Weegar is also very comfortable playing left side, so extremely versatile. Could slot into the top pairing with Hughes or Hronek in case of injury. Otherwise provides a nice balance to Myers on the 2nd pairing. I think you'd need to send Garland the other way to make the cap work. 

Bet Calgary would be happy to be rid of him.   What a 180 that club is on. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

We would've had him if Benning hadn't traded that 2nd round pick for Baertschi

Benning probably still picks Brisebois at the spot anyways. They were high on Brisebois.

On 9/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

We would've had him if Benning hadn't traded that 2nd round pick for Baertschi

But no one could've seen the Baertschi injury. He had a lot to show prior to the trade - and in fact, he served the Canucks well for quite some time. A 2nd round pick could've busted whereas Baertschi could've scored a game winning goal in Stanley Cup playoffs. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's annoying to see people re-examine a trade based on what they see NOW. The Baertschi trade wasn't even that bad for Benning - and Benning's made some rather bad trades. If Baertschi didn't have concussion issues, he would've had a longer NHL career.

Out of any of those players I'd go for Weegar any day.

Can play LD/RD and has a Bieksa like qualities about him.

He'd be a better fit in my opinion than Andersson in short and long term.

Very decent contract too

Will cost a lot though...

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

But no one could've seen the Baertschi injury. He had a lot to show prior to the trade - and in fact, he served the Canucks well for quite some time. A 2nd round pick could've busted whereas Baertschi could've scored a game winning goal in Stanley Cup playoffs. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's annoying to see people re-examine a trade based on what they see NOW. The Baertschi trade wasn't even that bad for Benning - and Benning's made some rather bad trades. If Baertschi didn't have concussion issues, he would've had a longer NHL career.

When they made that trade I said that it was going to bite the Canucks' asses. 

• Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/3/2024 at 2:10 PM, Canuck You said:

Garland was probably one of the best, If not, The best player for us in the playoffs. His wall grind was on point....Now continue on with your trade packages including him.

It's mind boggling

On 9/3/2024 at 2:10 PM, Canuck You said:

Garland was probably one of the best, If not, The best player for us in the playoffs. His wall grind was on point....Now continue on with your trade packages including him.

The obsession some seem to have with dumping him is odd.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/6/2024 at 3:17 PM, canuck73_3 said:

The obsession some seem to have with dumping him is odd.

Not really, just logical. He's a 3rd liner making pretty significant $$. Almost the only tradeable player that helps our cap situation if you're trying to improve the team, and has been for some time.

Edited by Gawdzukes

Andersson would be a great D partner for Hughes. He won't be cheap, hate to think of us moving more 1st/2nd rd picks but if they do, please get someone with a bit of term not a rental. So Rasmus would fit that bill with a couple years left, gives Willander time to develop and not rush him with high expectations. I am hoping he does turn out for us but lets not rush him into the NHL...