(Speculation) Calgary's Rebuild

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not really, just logical. He's a 3rd liner making pretty significant $$. Almost the only tradeable player that helps our cap situation if you're trying to improve the team, and has been for some time.

Except that is ignoring he’s also one of our most effective and useful players too. I’m just gonna straight up say it, trading him is full on moronic. 

• Cheers 2

On 9/3/2024 at 1:18 PM, Coconuts said:

Don't think we could afford what they'd ask for Andersson. Vancouver 1st's project to be middling or late, they'd want Willander or Lekkermaki on top of any 1st. 

Hard pass. 

Need to be thinking of the future a little bit here, and I'm sick of helping Calgary. 

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Except that is ignoring he’s also one of our most effective and useful players too. I’m just gonna straight up say it, trading him is full on moronic. 

I think everyone was happy with his (and the 3rd line) performance last year and especially in the playoffs. We do have more alternatives on the wing compared to LHDs. The question is, would the team be better with a puck moving D worth 5 mil? Personally I hope our D is good enough, so we can keep our 3rd line intact for the upcoming season. But I do understand why some ppl entertain the thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sure, that's your right. You get super uptight whenever it's brought up. I think you're incorrect and people are not ignoring how effective he has been, last season specifically.

For the rest of us who like armchair GMing to improve the team it's simply an option to look at. I think trading Miller or Petterson instead is even more unlikely. Probably Boeser, Joshua, Heinen, and DeBrusk too. No defence are moving for any cap benefits either, same with goaltender. Keep in mind he's only under contract for one more year so it's not like he's signed forever either. 

11 hours ago, Viking said:

Andersson would be a great D partner for Hughes. He won't be cheap, hate to think of us moving more 1st/2nd rd picks but if they do, please get someone with a bit of term not a rental. So Rasmus would fit that bill with a couple years left, gives Willander time to develop and not rush him with high expectations. I am hoping he does turn out for us but lets not rush him into the NHL...

Problem is, the player the Flames want in an Andersson trade would be Willander.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sure, that's your right. You get super uptight whenever it's brought up. I think you're incorrect and people are not ignoring how effective he has been, last season specifically.

For the rest of us who like armchair GMing to improve the team it's simply an option to look at. I think trading Miller or Petterson instead is even more unlikely. Probably Boeser, Joshua, Heinen, and DeBrusk too. No defence are moving for any cap benefits either, same with goaltender. Keep in mind he's only under contract for one more year so it's not like he's signed forever either. 

I’m sure with some term he could be extended at a reasonable price and cap going up. Especially if we’re adding 2 or more new teams in the near future. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I would rather see Forbert sitting out than Desharnais, so a heavy NO to a trade with

Calgary.  Desharnais is a great addition to our teams and will be a fan favourite.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/take-it-from-an-oilers-writer-canucks-fans-will-love-vincent-desharnais

Was going through our prospects for the the upcoming young stars tourney and we definitely have options to push Forbort down the depth chart.  The 2 main ones in Brisbois and a little longer shit on D. Petey.  

I completely forgot about Brisbois, how good he looked before his injury and that Tochet trusted him to a point where he got a 2 year contract out of it.  He'd look good with a defensive guy like Desharnais as he's more mobile and also has good size to him.  He's my dark horse to make the roster and push Forbort to #7 on the d depth chart.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m sure with some term he could be extended at a reasonable price and cap going up. Especially if we’re adding 2 or more new teams in the near future. 

Yeah it's a game of slim margins. The flat cap screwed with a lot of teams and his salary is finally in the realm of responsible spending for the third line now that the cap has gone up. It'll be interesting to see what they do considering Boeser is up for contract too.

Connor absolutely leveled up last year ... so also curious to see what Garland wants money and future wise. He really seems to have an attachment to the fans and city now. I don't think the new teams will raise the cap much but just normal inflation will hopefully keep it going up. The OEL penalty also looms large and goes up to ~$5 mil the year he needs a new deal.

That third line was a big part of our success and Garland was the sparkplug so I get your undying backing of this player but he's still also one of the most  movable players not signed by this management group.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Was going through our prospects for the the upcoming young stars tourney and we definitely have options to push Forbort down the depth chart.  The 2 main ones in Brisbois and a little longer shit on D. Petey.  

I completely forgot about Brisbois, how good he looked before his injury and that Tochet trusted him to a point where he got a 2 year contract out of it.  He'd look good with a defensive guy like Desharnais as he's more mobile and also has good size to him.  He's my dark horse to make the roster and push Forbort to #7 on the d depth chart.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Brisebois-Desharnais

Forbort-Juulsen

Thats pretty solid depth. One more top 4 guy would be amazing if we could push Soucy to that third pair. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1