[PTO] Barrie to Calgary

Highly doubt any team is going to give Calgary any assets for a 33 year old pylon who has never once shown that he has any place in the NHL.  This is just an attempt to tank for a high pick by bringing in a defenceman who refuses to learn how to play defence.

1 hour ago, Wing said:

Whatever happened to Oils bringing Barrier back...

If Flames do move Andersson and Weegar they will need nhl players to fill their defense so this makes sense.

Then why not bring in an NHLer instead of trash like Barrie?

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, Wing said:

Whatever happened to Oils bringing Barrier back...

If Flames do move Andersson and Weegar they will need nhl players to fill their defense so this makes sense.

Flames have lots of cap space. Edmonton has very little. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Highly doubt any team is going to give Calgary any assets for a 33 year old pylon who has never once shown that he has any place in the NHL.  This is just an attempt to tank for a high pick by bringing in a defenceman who refuses to learn how to play defence.

Then why not bring in an NHLer instead of trash like Barrie?

Teams have given up low and mid picks for depth towards the deadline countless times, it's a low commitment move for Calgary

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Teams have given up low and mid picks for depth towards the deadline countless times, it's a low commitment move for Calgary

Usually the depth is actually useful though.  The only thing Barrie can handle at the NHL level is serving nachos in the press box.

• ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Justin Schultz is still available for a PTO!!! Is Allvin on it??

I would think they’ve at least reached out to him and Shattenkirk by now.

Should be looking to upgrade every position even if it’s just Friedmans spot.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

Justin Schultz is still available for a PTO!!! Is Allvin on it??

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I would think they’ve at least reached out to him and Shattenkirk by now.

Should be looking to upgrade every position even if it’s just Friedmans spot.

I wouldn't be interested personally. We've made our moves. don't need to waste precious cap space on scrubs. We have plenty of payers fighting for spots as it is. Don't think those two want to be pine riders eithers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wouldn't be interested personally. We've made our moves. don't need to waste precious cap space on scrubs. We have plenty of payers fighting for spots as it is. Don't think those two want to be pine riders eithers. 

Their contracts would be similar to any depth guy we already have so cap space wouldn’t be an issue.

I think either could beat out Forbort for a regular spot to be honest.

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Their contracts would be similar to any depth guy we already have so cap space wouldn’t be an issue.

Rewind to July 1st. Barrie and Schultz were available, yet Vancouver passed over them to sign Forbort and Desharnais. What makes these unsigned guys viable options for the Canucks in September when they weren't in July? Especially when at least 30 other teams also passed on them? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Rewind to July 1st. Barrie and Schultz were available, yet Vancouver passed over them to sign Forbort and Desharnais. What makes these unsigned guys viable options for the Canucks in September when they weren't in July? Especially when at least 30 other teams also passed on them? 

Agreed. The Canucks identified the players they wanted and signed them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Looks like management has decided not to bring in any defencemen who can't play defence.  This is a good decision and it's best to ensure that AHL trash like Barrie and Schultz aren't at risk of getting ice time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/10/2024 at 11:57 AM, DeNiro said:

I like Forbort better than those two myself but sure I guess it couldn't hurt. Shattenkirk was good when young but he's washed I think.

On 9/10/2024 at 2:51 PM, King Heffy said:

Looks like management has decided not to bring in any defencemen who can't play defence.  This is a good decision and it's best to ensure that AHL trash like Barrie and Schultz aren't at risk of getting ice time.

Agree on Schultz.   It's crazy this guy once replaced Letang and won a cup.   Arguably the worst defense of any cup winning team all-time.    PIT won their cups based on counter-attack, spent a ton of time in their own zone (both cups) and Crosby/Malkin - their third line and goaltending.    Doumelin ... was nobody then.   Cole was considered serviceable that's about it.      Schultz played out of his mind for the Pens, after getting crucified for his lack of D game in EDM.    That's a smell that's hard to wash off, and for sure followed him around.   Ageee to stay far away.   Would rather Shattenkirk, at least he's got some grit to his game.   Also no thanks.    Teams going to have to wait to find a miracle top four guy.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:51 AM, Gawdzukes said:

GIF by mtv

• Haha 1