Antti Raanta on Canucks radar for PTO

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Probably overpriced for us. 

I wonder why though. We are into league min territory now. Players will be willing to take whatever is available at this point I would think 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Devron said:

I wonder why though. We are into league min territory now. Players will be willing to take whatever is available at this point I would think 

I think he made 2 mil last year, probably doesn't want the haircut. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think he made 2 mil last year, probably doesn't want the haircut. 

For sure I’m just thinking that if he hasn’t been paid yet it ain’t happening as the market closes 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

For sure I’m just thinking that if he hasn’t been paid yet it ain’t happening as the market closes 

I wonder who else needs a goalie? maybe he's holding out for one of them? dunno. I would guess that Allvin made a fair offer based on his history but who knows, maybe he can make more in the KHL? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder who else needs a goalie? maybe he's holding out for one of them? dunno. I would guess that Allvin made a fair offer based on his history but who knows, maybe he can make more in the KHL? 

Maybe he sees the inevitable shift down to the A and figures there’s a better chance of landing a backup NHL gig out of camp from another team with less G depth? 

I mean he can always sign a two way deal at any time, so why not hold out and apply some control over his own future rather than sign and potentially be a waiver claim to somewhere he doesn’t want to play for? 
That said, a team making a waiver claim for him would have need for his services. 

I have confused myself and need a stiff drink.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Maybe he sees the inevitable shift down to the A and figures there’s a better chance of landing a backup NHL gig out of camp from another team with less G depth? 

I mean he can always sign a two way deal at any time, so why not hold out and apply some control over his own future rather than sign and potentially be a waiver claim to somewhere he doesn’t want to play for? 
That said, a team making a waiver claim for him would have need for his services. 

drink a celery stick. a very stiff drink.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

He had games in the A last year so where ever he ends up, waivers are a risk.  Anywhere in the NHL (or AHL for that matter) is better than Russia these days imo.

I expect he's really trying to see if he can bounce back from last years poor showing

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

He had games in the A last year so where ever he ends up, waivers are a risk.  Anywhere in the NHL (or AHL for that matter) is better than Russia these days imo.

I expect he's really trying to see if he can bounce back from last years poor showing

I doubt a Finn would go to Russia at this moment, no matter what the money is. It would almost be like treason... (maybe some Finnish in this forum could confirm)

• Haha 2

If Demko is back on the ice and expected to be ready for the start of the season barring a setback, then I can see why the Canucks would be pivoting to a PTO for Raanta. Too much of a commitment would be needed for Lankinen.

I've liked Raanta over the course of his career - the guy has had a brutal time staying healthy his entire career though. His save percentage has generally been very high but he clearly had an off year last season. I wouldn't be opposed to the Canucks signing Raanta and sending him to the AHL (if he's willing and if he clears waivers), but I would wonder what the plan is for Patera and Tolopilo in that case.

23 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I heard from an extremely unreliable source that we already made an offer that he turned down. I believe he’s holding out for more than we are willing to pay. 

Gotta respect his respect for himself. He’ll be paid to play somewhere eventually. But with all the notable possible waiver acquisitions coming up - it’s starting to get a little tight for him playing in the show this year. Wish him all the best. 

• Cheers 2