Have You or Anyone Close to You Ever Recieved Anything From a Canuck?

Canuck You

...Such as a puck, stick, poster, shirt..any other cool memorabilia items with a ice cool story or just a random interaction?

When I was in elementary (mid 90's) In gr 6 I believe, I was having lunch on the steps in front of the school with my homies when this dude walked out in a nice suit with a briefcase and said 'hey nice shirt' to me, (I was wearing a Canucks skate one) and told me he had something for me, Opened up his briefcase and handed me a nice crisp Canucks team photo poster! I was on cloud 9.. all my friends tried to get one and he said 'Nope, Only him'.. because of what I was wearing. 

I'll never forget that day, Clear as day...needless to say my friends were jealous as heck..Made my year..It's funny because that morning I was debating if I should wear my Lions shirt or my Nucks one..Glad I made that choice...Still not sure who the man was, Looked like a rep but after that day I never looked back as a Nuck fan.

Another scenario ; My parents used to take me ice-skating back in the day at Burnaby 8 rinks (when it was called that) and one day as we were walking out I ran in to Trevor Linden! I probably stood there for 5 mins in awe before I yelled out 'Linden'..Let me tell ya, One of the nicest persons I've met..He gave me a hug, Unfortunately no one had a pen so I couldn't get anything signed BUT he gave me his stick! Still have it but I wish I never played road hockey with it...Still in decent condition and still feels like a dream.

Lastly, My crew and I were doing sound for the Rogers Waters concert @ Rogers Arena and as I was walking around I ran in to Manny (I think it was the team exit meetings) he had his bag and stick, I first didn't think much probably because hockey season was over and when I realized it was Manny I causally said 'Hi Manny' haha..Anyways he stopped and we took a pic and chatted for a few secs..Cool guy and cooler moment.

I'm not trying to add my 'meet and greets' and copious amounts of signed Nucks memorabilia that I have collected because most of that was kind of not spontaneous but was more pre-planned and bought...Anyways..

Your turn...

• Like 2

At the recent camp at Minoru a week or so ago, I lined up for Stech's and Bieksa's authographs (I don't usually do so anymore....I'm a grown assed woman and it's for the kids). But these two, c'mon. I had to.

I had my super old, ragged, 3 jersey on. I'd "retired it" in the rafters here, unwashed as the number and logo on the front were both falling off. It's NOT in good shape...very much "game worn".

But, threw it on for this occasion (without noticing it really did need a wash!!)

My turn and I told Bieksa as I approached the table that it was long overdue that I got the jersey signed. He's so freakin' hilarious/quick witted. He said "wait a minute, is this the jersey I fought Ben Eager in??". Then pointed to a coffee stain (that I had tried to wash out) and said "is this the blood from the fight?!". Slightly embarrassed but more just pleased that I got to witness Juice in his full, smart ass glory. 

• Haha 3

When I met JT (scrape me from the ceiling, I'm still up there), it was also awesome. It was when all the trade rumours were swirling (so dumb).

As we chatted I said "if they trade you, I go too". 

(His quick wit actually reminds me of Juice). He said "OK, I'm gonna let my agent know...2 for 1 deal"

(I meant it)

Sorry for hijacking the thread! More later (after others get to weigh in too)

• Like 1

Back in 92 I was in a hospital after being in a car accident, I was in there for 11 days, and the day after I got out I went back to visit a friend who was also in the car, and found out that Pavel Bure and his brother had come just after I was released to sign autographs and visit us kids that where in the hospital.  I was so heartbroken, he was by far my favorite and remains my favorite player.  I finally met him when he got into the Hall of Fame and got a jersey signed.  Not quit the same meeting him when he was no longer playing and by then I was in my 40's but still was worth the time and money I paid.

• Like 1

mine are not so much getting something from but getting to meet and know hockey people. as i've wrote on cdc, as a teen, i got to shag flies at a batting practice of whl canuck's, andy bathgate and larry popien before they got called up to the newyork rangers. bathgate became a hall of famer.

as a young man, i got two letters and got to meet and talk to babe pratt. he was canuck's good will ambassador and a hall of famer.

i had brief moment and words with david babych at smithers airport.

meeting nhl'ers, i became friends with jim and joe watson, from smithers while playing for the flyers. one year, the brought fred shero to smithers. fred coached the flyers and put on a coaches clinic. after the clinic he joined us all for a few beers.

even though we went to the same church, i never met dan hamhuis, but knew his parents.

when i first moved to smithers, i went into a cafe, the waitress came over, yelled at me and wanted to know what i was doing there? to make the story short, she came back with my order and apologized. she said, i have 2 boys playing for the flyers and i thought you were bernie parent and since it was hockey season, you shouldn't be here. i got to know all the watsons.

i met both flockhart brothers but didn't like their attitudes. i coached one boy, drafted by quebec in the 6th round. highly skilled but a real bean pole. he never played.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Even Fin ignores me

Fin used to like to tousel my hair. This particular game he jumped up on the ledge and shook his booty at me (I was sitting below him here). I believe this was a lap dance?

lol

180728_10150137369910549_6208329_n.jpg?_

29 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

mine are not so much getting something from but getting to meet and know hockey people. as i've wrote on cdc, as a teen, i got to shag flies at a batting practice of whl canuck's, andy bathgate and larry popien before they got called up to the newyork rangers. bathgate became a hall of famer.

as a young man, i got two letters and got to meet and talk to babe pratt. he was canuck's good will ambassador and a hall of famer.

i had brief moment and words with david babych at smithers airport.

meeting nhl'ers, i became friends with jim and joe watson, from smithers while playing for the flyers. one year, the brought fred shero to smithers. fred coached the flyers and put on a coaches clinic. after the clinic he joined us all for a few beers.

even though we went to the same church, i never met dan hamhuis, but knew his parents.

when i first moved to smithers, i went into a cafe, the waitress came over, yelled at me and wanted to know what i was doing there? to make the story short, she came back with my order and apologized. she said, i have 2 boys playing for the flyers and i thought you were bernie parent and since it was hockey season, you shouldn't be here. i got to know all the watsons.

i met both flockhart brothers but didn't like their attitudes. i coached one boy, drafted by quebec in the 6th round. highly skilled but a real bean pole. he never played.

Great stuff, Joe!

I've met Dave a few times, Jyrkki too. Great guys, both of them. Super involved with the team (still).

I also met Dan (Hamhuis) and have his signed jersey.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

At the recent camp at Minoru a week or so ago, I lined up for Stech's and Bieksa's authographs (I don't usually do so anymore....I'm a grown assed woman and it's for the kids). But these two, c'mon. I had to.

I had my super old, ragged, 3 jersey on. I'd "retired it" in the rafters here, unwashed as the number and logo on the front were both falling off. It's NOT in good shape...very much "game worn".

But, threw it on for this occasion (without noticing it really did need a wash!!)

My turn and I told Bieksa as I approached the table that it was long overdue that I got the jersey signed. He's so freakin' hilarious/quick witted. He said "wait a minute, is this the jersey I fought Ben Eager in??". Then pointed to a coffee stain (that I had tried to wash out) and said "is this the blood from the fight?!". Slightly embarrassed but more just pleased that I got to witness Juice in his full, smart ass glory. 

Juice is a beauty! Love seeing how is post playing career was turned out.

• Like 1

My dad used to play with Ryan Walter and other players of that era. He had some stories... most of them involving alcohol or alcohol related shenanigans.

Met Dan Hamhuis briefly.

I think I ran into Trevor Linden out and about once in Vancouver, but I'm only like 85% sure it was him. I said hello. We're practically besties now.

I never received anything but i did get to hang out with Pavel Bure for a few hours in a VIP zone at a club on Richards st. in '95. He didn't drink alcohol, coca cola only.
I was trying to be to cool to ask for an autograph lol....my younger brother got his Bure jersey signed though and still has it.

• Like 1

Not a Canuck but when I was a kid the LA Kings had a preseason game in Victoria.  Eddie Shack hit me with a puck and later gave me one.

At a sports card show back in 89  -90.....I had Trevor Linden sign a program with him on the cover saying "Insert name) I think you should marry (insert name).

Luckily we didnt get married lol.

Three BC Lions cheerleaders were also at his table signing stuff and they thought i was so cool. 

Went on a drunken bus rip to the Jays-Mariners back in the day at the Kingdoom.  Duncan's Greg Adams and Glen Cochrene were on the trip.  And Doug Bodger who I played ball with.  Animal show....bunch of drunken Duncan guys.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1

One memory that was really cool for me, was last season when the Abbotsford Canucks were having their end of year meet the team event for season ticket holders. Dave Babych and Darcy Rota were both there signing autographs. When I got up to meet Babych, I told him he was my one of Mom’s favourite players (she loved Babs). He insisted on signing an autograph for her as well, even though she’s 10 hours away in Calgary. He grabbed an Autograph paper after he signed my Abby Nucks jersey, and wrote out a personal autograph to my Mom. She’s got it framed on her entertainment unit at her home. It made her year.

• Like 1

One of my friends I used to play hockey with back in the late 90's, was at a tournament and when he lined up at Center ice for the opening face off - he was looking at Cliff Ronning!  

Needless to say, he didn't fair well against him lol, my friend wound up on the ice way more times then he was able to check!

33 minutes ago, The Brock Star said:

Darcy Rota gave me a thumbs up and a smile for wearing a flying V jersey to a game, and I still think about that moment. 

I got a picture with Rota and a bunch of other friends, and it was so funny because I'm pretty sure only my best friend at the time and me even knew who he was.

I was tempted to say "I wasn't alive back then, but I know you scored 42 goals in 1982-83 and that's pretty cool" or something, but was afraid it'd be too weird, haha.

• Like 1

I was going to say no, but then I thought about it and remembered that back in 2003, I was on a school trip to California. While there we got to watch the Canucks practice at Staples Center in L.A. And Marcus Naslund flipped me a puck. It was pretty cool.