[Arm chair GM] What if…

As a long time canuck fan now close to 60! I have seen it all, a lot of bad times, and some good. 

As I was considering where this thread would go, I figured to add some spice to it, I figured rather than just stating some concerns, let’s make it fun and a what if.

here’s the scenario 

I don’t like to panic, or be a sky is falling fan, particularly 2 games into the preseason, but I have some concerns about our potential this year.

In my view, it was really important that a number of young guys stepped up this preseason to show they were willing to “take” a spot, and help our depth. There were / are a few spots available at Forward and Defense, and I think all hoped to see Hogz, Podz, and a Dman or two really show they would be hard to cut, ie make it tough for management and the coaches by “kicking down the door”.  

Particularly given there were spots available it’s really disappointing to not see players emerging / showing they’re separating themselves in camp and giving us the depth we need. 

SO…. 

Given we need that depth to make the playoffs… what do we do if we don’t? 

Does this end up meaning Petey gets frustrated enough to want to leave? He wants to win… if the players this team is counting on to help improve the team fail to do so, perhaps he says, screw it. I want to go elsewhere 

so… question 

Given he’s an RFA and let’s assume he has a season similar to last, not materially better or worse… what’s your trade? 

Let’s also be realistic given the issues we will have given he would want out…

I’m seriously concerned this could play out unless some of the youth we were counting on wake up… 

Edited by BlockerHigh

Myers any team to take him.

Even close f we retain half the salary and get say a 4th.

Now the why.

Both Hirose and McWard seem to be ready from the three games so far.

Say McWard plays strong for ten games but then struggles.He can be sent down and maybe Bear is ready.

Win win as McWard would have a clear view of what's needed to stay.

5 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

As a long time canuck fan now close to 60! I have seen it all, a lot of bad times, and some good. 

As I was considering where this thread would go, I figured to add some spice to it, I figured rather than just stating some concerns, let’s make it fun and a what if.

here’s the scenario 

I don’t like to panic, or be a sky is falling fan, particularly 2 games into the preseason, but I have some concerns about our potential this year.

In my view, it was really important that a number of young guys stepped up this preseason to show they were willing to “take” a spot, and help our depth. There were / are a few spots available at Forward and Defense, and I think all hoped to see Hogz, Podz, and a Dman or two really show they would be hard to cut, ie make it tough for management and the coaches by “kicking down the door”.  

Particularly given there were spots available it’s really disappointing to not see players emerging / showing they’re separating themselves in camp and giving us the depth we need. 

SO…. 

Does this end up meaning Petey gets frustrated enough to want to leave? He wants to win… if the players this team is counting on to help improve the team fail to do so, perhaps he says, screw it. I want to go elsewhere 

so… question 

Given he’s an RFA and let’s assume he has a season similar to last, not materially better or worse… what’s your trade? 

I’m seriously concerned this could play out unless some of the youth we were counting on wake up… 

The good news with Pettersson is that he's made it clear that he wants to be here long term, and that, he's just waiting for the end of the season so that can get offered a premium market value contract (using his performance for this upcoming season as proof that he's deserving of a David Pastrnak-esque type contract).  This is according to the rumours.    

Now having said all that - I'm not sure if I see a pathway for this current core to take the next step and become elite.  A LOT will need to happen over these next  3 years and I just don't see it happening for the following reasons:

1. Most of Myers' money will be used for Pettersson's new contract.

2. Hronek will receive a significant raise and so I'm guessing a lot of that money will come from Beauvillier's expired contract?  

3. Boeser will come off the books in two seasons but a lot of that money will be used on OEL's cap penalty.

And so we'll have some cap challenges to deal with over these next few years and here's the kicker:   

3 years from now:

-Demko will be a 30 year old UFA

-Miller will likely start to begin his age related decline

-Kuzmenko will have been off the books one year prior and may look to go to a contender (or, re-sign here at unfavourable term and money...."unfavourable" given his age at that time).

-Quinn Hughes will only have one year left on his deal and his two younger brothers and family live in the USA.  So even if Quinn doesn't go to NJ, he might want to sign close to there.  Think - Johnny Gaudreau.  American born hockey players aren't the most loyal guys on the planet.  

So again, my outlook for this Canucks' core is kind of 'meh.'  maybe we'll get to the playoffs once or twice over the next 3 years but I can't see us progressing much beyond that.  

Personally?  What I would have done?   I would have blown things up in January of 2023 (earlier this year).

-Trade Pettersson for a 2023 1st + elite prospect

-Trade Hughes for a 2023 1st + elite prospect

-Trade Demko for a 2023 1st (and prospect).

-Trade Miller to Pittsburgh for two 1sts (as was the rumored deal). 

-Horvat to NYI for Raty and/or their 2023 1st (2023 1st was what was being rumored for Horvat at one point)

-Kuzmenko for a low 2023 1st.

-Do a natural tank and finish bottom 3 in the standings (securing one of Bedard, Carlsson, or Fantilli).  

-Weaponize cap space and bring in players on bad contracts (2 years left) while accepting sweeteners.  

Keep guys like OEL, Myers, Boeser, Garland, etc. to ensure that we can hit the cap floor.  Make Luke Schenn captain.  

That's what I would have done, but anyways.........

19 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

The good news with Pettersson is that he's made it clear that he wants to be here long term, and that, he's just waiting for the end of the season so that can get offered a premium market value contract (using his performance for this upcoming season as proof that he's deserving of a David Pastrnak-esque type contract).  This is according to the rumours.    

Now having said all that - I'm not sure if I see a pathway for this current core to take the next step and become elite.  A LOT will need to happen over these next  3 years and I just don't see it happening for the following reasons:

1. Most of Myers' money will be used for Pettersson's new contract.

2. Hronek will receive a significant raise and so I'm guessing a lot of that money will come from Beauvillier's expired contract?  

3. Boeser will come off the books in two seasons but a lot of that money will be used on OEL's cap penalty.

And so we'll have some cap challenges to deal with over these next few years and here's the kicker:   

3 years from now:

-Demko will be a 30 year old UFA

-Miller will likely start to begin his age related decline

-Kuzmenko will have been off the books one year prior and may look to go to a contender (or, re-sign here at unfavourable term and money...."unfavourable" given his age at that time).

-Quinn Hughes will only have one year left on his deal and his two younger brothers and family live in the USA.  So even if Quinn doesn't go to NJ, he might want to sign close to there.  Think - Johnny Gaudreau.  American born hockey players aren't the most loyal guys on the planet.  

So again, my outlook for this Canucks' core is kind of 'meh.'  maybe we'll get to the playoffs once or twice over the next 3 years but I can't see us progressing much beyond that.  

Personally?  What I would have done?   I would have blown things up in January of 2023 (earlier this year).

-Trade Pettersson for a 2023 1st + elite prospect

-Trade Hughes for a 2023 1st + elite prospect

-Trade Demko for a 2023 1st (and prospect).

-Trade Miller to Pittsburgh for two 1sts (as was the rumored deal). 

-Horvat to NYI for Raty and/or their 2023 1st (2023 1st was what was being rumored for Horvat at one point)

-Kuzmenko for a low 2023 1st.

-Do a natural tank and finish bottom 3 in the standings (securing one of Bedard, Carlsson, or Fantilli).  

-Weaponize cap space and bring in players on bad contracts (2 years left) while accepting sweeteners.  

Keep guys like OEL, Myers, Boeser, Garland, etc. to ensure that we can hit the cap floor.  Make Luke Schenn captain.  

That's what I would have done, but anyways.........

4E1DA811-D2C4-4637-9323-AFF79E941511.gif

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

here’s the scenario 

SO…. 

so… question 

0FEEDA47-296A-4F58-B866-B43F5A59F1BC.gif

13 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Myers any team to take him.

Even close f we retain half the salary and get say a 4th.

Now the why.

Both Hirose and McWard seem to be ready from the three games so far.

Say McWard plays strong for ten games but then struggles.He can be sent down and maybe Bear is ready.

Win win as McWard would have a clear view of what's needed to stay.

Huh? It’s not about money it’s about Petey saying we’re not winning so I don’t want to re-sign…confused by your response