[Speculation] Ducks working on deal to trade D Cam Fowler

“Earlier today it came to light that the Anaheim Ducks and long-time cornerstone defenseman Cam Fowler were working on a trade to move Fowler to a new organization. Fowler has spent nearly 1000 games as a member of the Ducks. Still, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman explained that Anaheim wants to give their young blue-liners more opportunity moving forward.

Fowler owns a modified no-trade clause in his current deal which gives him a relative amount of control over where he ends up. Friedman reported that Fowler is willing to edit the list if prompted but there are only a handful of teams with the cap space and the need for a top-four defenseman. One could reasonably assume for various reasons that Fowler likely won’t end up on the Calgary Flames, Columbus Blue Jackets, Chicago Blackhawks, or San Jose Sharks which helps iron out a more concrete list of hypothetical landing spots.

The Winnipeg Jets immediately jump out as a team that could have interest in Fowler as one of Dylan Samberg, Ville Heinola, or Logan Stanley are currently pegged for top-four duties. That trio leaves much to be desired in a top-four role which could lead the Jets to pivot to Fowler. Winnipeg has just under $6MM in cap space with Cole Perfetti the only restricted free agent left to sign. Perfetti shouldn’t eat up too much of the available space which should allow the Jets to comfortably fit Fowler’s contract into the fold for the next two years especially if the Ducks retain some salary off the top.

Utah Hockey Club has already added heavily to their defensive group this summer swinging separate trades for Mikhail Sergachev and John Marino. The team is looking to contend in their first season in Salt Lake City and Fowler would give them a complete blue line. Most lineup predictions have Juuso Valimaki on the second defensive pairing but his inconsistency over the last two seasons may give general manager Bill Armstrong some pause. Utah still owns one of the better prospect pools in the league and would not need Anaheim to retain any salary in a hypothetical trade.

Another team looking to make it back to the playoffs after an eight-year drought is the Detroit Red Wings. The team nearly swung a trade for New York Rangers’ captain Jacob Trouba earlier this summer although he used his no-movement clause to block the deal. The nixed trade for Trouba indicated that the Red Wings are still looking to upgrade their blue line making them an enticing fit for Fowler.

The team largely has no reliable options outside of youngster Moritz Seider and Fowler would represent a veteran defenseman who has maintained plenty of responsibility throughout his career as evidenced by his career average of 23:15 time on ice. There is a bit more uncertainty with the Red Wings salary cap picture as they still need to look down Seider, Lucas Raymond, and Jonatan Berggren on new deals.

Fowler and the Ducks organization will inevitably agree on a trade profitable for both sides. It’s uncertain at this time whether a trade will come together relatively quickly or if Fowler will start the 2024-25 season as a member of the Ducks. Will one of the abovementioned teams swing for Fowler or will another team off the board pull the trigger?”

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/09/poll-which-team-is-the-best-landing-spot-for-cam-fowler.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Might give Fowler a chance at the Cup. He's by far the all-time games and points leader among defensemen for the Ducks. He'll has his number in the rafters, I think.

1 hour ago, bh90 said:

I'd 100% be down to bring him to the Canucks

Hughes - Hronek

Fowler - Myers

Soucy - Desharnais

Forbort - Juulsen

But what would it take?

1st round pick +++

It would also take cap space. Pass

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Devron said:

It would also take cap space. Pass

i am guessing the Ducks will be very open to a retained salary transaction (if they have the slots left).

Without Fowler they will be flirting with the cap floor.

I don’t know that this is the player we need but there are clearly deals that make sense and Poolman would be going the other way.

Ae want to have some room under the cap to accrue cap space for a possible add near the deadline.  Making that add at the start of the season accomplishes much of the same thing.  You end up with probably a better player who knows your system better by the playoffs, but lose the chance to see what the most pressing holes are in the lineup over the first couple of months of the season.

I personally think that having Myers on the 2nd pairing is worrisome and that our current 3rd pairing could be exploited and result in them getting more sheltered minutes (and a bunch more weight put on the Hughes pairing).  This move would alleviate some of that.

Soucy-Desharnais is a much more trustworthy pairing than Forbort-Desharnais to me.

11 hours ago, bh90 said:

I'd 100% be down to bring him to the Canucks

Hughes - Hronek

Fowler - Myers

Soucy - Desharnais

Forbort - Juulsen

But what would it take?

1st round pick +++

Fowler has negative value. The Ducks will need to retain and (or) take back a crap contract, and (or) add sweetener. 
Zero chance we want him. He’s old, slow, soft, and craperolla. 

Fowler has basically been ask to take on an impossible task.

Last few seasons he was playing north of 24+ minutes while also sheperding a young Jamie Drysdale and basically being the only competent defensive presence on the team while it possessed mainly fringe players.

Fowler is a very competent two way dman on a rebuilding team for the last 6 seasons. Anaheim also one of the worst defensive teams, his numbers dipped too.

He sits at 6.5x2...Anaheim would have to retain, but if the ask is reasonable and they were willing to retain...he would be an ideal top 4 option to shore our dcore. This is likely something that happens later into the season, but accrueing cap space and using Poolman's LTIR could help us get it done. Always been a fan of Fowler's game. He has a Hamhuis-like effect.

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fowler has negative value. The Ducks will need to retain and (or) take back a crap contract, and (or) add sweetener. 
Zero chance we want him. He’s old, slow, soft, and craperolla. 

What if we got a 3rd team to retain so he'd equal poolmans salary? 

Id do that for lesser picks or prospects. Nothing top shelf.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He’s got this year and next. IMHAO we will add a D (much like with Zadorov last year) but he will be a coming UFA. 
Maybe D Petey comes up during this season? 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s got this year and next. IMHAO we will add a D (much like with Zadorov last year) but he will be a coming UFA

Yea I think that's the plan and why jr is desperate to not be on LTIR to start the year 

I thought ducky was on his last year, oops 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe D Petey comes up during this season? 

Maybe once we clinch the playoffs early 😀

• Cheers 1

I like the idea of Fowler (with retention) more than the Flames duo (who would also be solid adds).

Forbort only has 1 year deal and he and Soucy are both fairly injury prone.  A lefty would be my preference to add - but any of those guys are going to cost a pretty penny.

12 hours ago, Provost said:

… that is entirely relative to the team he is on.

He has spent more time short handed than on the power play, he is an all around player averaging 24+ minutes a game.

He would be a solid player, but I think it is Myers we need to push out of the top four and not Soucy.

First off your plus minus ain’t effected by power plays and PKs also such a excuse seekers response, he’s been trending down for a while, he’s dealt with a lot of injury problem through his career, he’s getting older soon to be 33 which is the unofficial drop off age, he’s a big defenceman yet not a physical one, and his point production is from opportunity he’s thrown into he wouldn’t receive on a contender…. The guy just ain’t worth 6.5 million, ducks are a team I’ve always cheered for and I’ve always watched a good amount of their games, I highly recommend tuning in and watching him play he ain’t 2018 cam anymore 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

First off your plus minus ain’t effected by power plays and PKs also such a excuse seekers response, he’s been trending down for a while, he’s dealt with a lot of injury problem through his career, he’s getting older soon to be 33 which is the unofficial drop off age, he’s a big defenceman yet not a physical one, and his point production is from opportunity he’s thrown into he wouldn’t receive on a contender…. The guy just ain’t worth 6.5 million, ducks are a team I’ve always cheered for and I’ve always watched a good amount of their games, I highly recommend tuning in and watching him play he ain’t 2018 cam anymore 

Literally no one said that plus minus was affected by PP or PK.

You said that his only strength was PP, and I responded with the actual objective reality that he had more time on the PK than power play.  Sorry facts make you angry.

Also no one is suggesting he is the player from 2018 or would have to carry the defensive weight of an entire AHL level team playing against NHL clubs like he has to now.

He is an absolutely solid, legit top four, two-way D.  Someone made a Hamhuis comparison in the thread and that is reasonable.  Above average at most things with no one particular stand out ability.  That means he can play with different types of partners in different situations.

A move with cap retention (which the Ducks don’t care much about), and Poolman going the other way and it is a fine way to upgrade our D depending on the ask.

It makes more sense a couple months into the season when we get to see what is and isn’t working for the current roster.  Maybe the 3rd pairing will surprise me and be more dependable, maybe Myers won’t sink a 2nd pairing.  Maybe two of our plethora of bottom six wingers can actually step up to the top

six. 

Not even the best hockey minds know the answer to this until the guys are actually playing games.

Extra NHL level top four D are welcome on pretty much any team

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Literally no one said that plus minus was affected by PP or PK.

You said that his only strength was PP, and I responded with the actual objective reality that he had more time on the PK than power play.  Sorry facts make you angry.

Also no one is suggesting he is the player from 2018 or would have to carry the defensive weight of an entire AHL level team playing against NHL clubs like he has to now.

He is an absolutely solid, legit top four, two-way D.  Someone made a Hamhuis comparison in the thread and that is reasonable.  Above average at most things with no one particular stand out ability.  That means he can play with different types of partners in different situations.

A move with cap retention (which the Ducks don’t care much about), and Poolman going the other way and it is a fine way to upgrade our D depending on the ask.

It makes more sense a couple months into the season when we get to see what is and isn’t working for the current roster.  Maybe the 3rd pairing will surprise me and be more dependable, maybe Myers won’t sink a 2nd pairing.  Maybe two of our plethora of bottom six wingers can actually step up to the top

six. 

Not even the best hockey minds know the answer to this until the guys are actually playing games.

Extra NHL level top four D are welcome on pretty much any team

Fowler is old, slow, soft, and craperolla. He has two more years on an expensive deal left too. He’s yuk in all ways. 100% certain we will not have interest in such a player. 

• ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Provost said:

… that is entirely relative to the team he is on.

He has spent more time short handed than on the power play, he is an all around player averaging 24+ minutes a game.

He would be a solid player, but I think it is Myers we need to push out of the top four and not Soucy.

Yep, Fowler has evolved since he first came into the league. He isn't a shutdown guy, but he has learned how to play defense and at the very least won't hurt you defensively. He is no longer the offense only defenseman he was when he came into the league.

I think moving either Soucy or Myers down would be helpful, but agree that I'm more concerned with Myers starting to log heavy minutes again. If Anaheim is willing to retain 2M+ I would be pretty happy to add Fowler though.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fowler is old, slow, soft, and craperolla. He has two more years on an expensive deal left too. He’s yuk in all ways. 100% certain we will not have interest in such a player. 

Agreed 💯 

• Cheers 2

I think the team will go with the current players  for a few months or as long as possible to really see what they have and what they need. At that point, if they need to make a move, they can use the accrued cap space and put Poolman on ltir and get a a difference maker. We need to have some patience and see what we have first. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Tough to swing right now,  but at the TDL with accrued space, a bit of retention and Poolman’s cap going the other way? 

Hughes-Hronek

Fowler-Desharnais

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Juulsen

bottom 2 pairs play about equal minutes and a legit bottom pairing waiting in the wings in the 7-8 spot.

Other LD on weak teams that could shore things up include Provorov (or Gavrikov depending on the Kings) but we are not nearly as Russian friendly as we were just a minute ago.  Chychrun too I guess but obviously some questions there.

Fowler or Provorov would also insulate us for a short term Hughes injury, too. We’re so top heavy with our D pairs - I think a Hronek injury isn’t too bad but Hughes as it stands could sink the season if he misses 20 or more games.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

If we added a 3rd team like Chicago or San Jose, then we could get Fowler at around $1.625 million, which wound be a steal. We could trade our 2025 1st to Anaheim, trade Poolman’s contract to Anaheim as well. And then give a 3rd or 4th round pick to the 3rd team.