[Speculation] Ducks working on deal to trade D Cam Fowler

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are going to trade that 1st no matter what. We all know that. It’s just a question of who are we trading it for. 

True, but I think we can get ducky for a bit less, given he probably would love to stay on the west coast m

20 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Fowler's played 1st pair RD, PP1 and PK1.  Myers, Poolman and a pick would be great (though there's next to no reason why Anaheim would choose to help us).  

Myers has a 2 year long NMC, with his last year being a modified NTC-12 team no trade list.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Canucks were one of the best defensive teams in the NHL last season. Hughes was a minus player his first two years in the league. People were actually complaining that he may never win the Norris because of that. 

Fowler was a +15 the year Anaheim went to the 2nd round of the playoffs. In fact, he was a plus player several times and almost every time he went to the playoffs. 

He’s an upgrade on Soucy and Myers. Not even a question about that. He would allow Soucy to play less minutes and can play on the 2nd unit power play. He has a great shot. If we could get him with a 75% retention it’s a no brainer really. 

Fowler sucks pucks. Easy pass. Zero chance our management has interest. To compare that puck sucker with Norris winner Hughes (a true phenom) is laughable. Ducks are a friggin’ joke and so are their players, especially Fowler. 

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Would rather have Shattenkirk. He’d cost no assets and a lot less money. 

Sure he comes cheap, but why would we add a bottom pairing right D?

When we already have these 5 on the RHS:

Hronek

Myers

Desharnais

Juulsen

Friedman

Whereas left side depth chart is:

Hughes

Soucy

Forbort

Factor in Soucy and Forbort's injury history and we could do with a LHD that can handle 2nd pairing minutes if required.

But I definitely hear you about the asset cost to acquire Fowler. A 1st round pick is too much. If we could get him for a 2nd round pick (to ANA) and a 4th round for a 3rd team to retain 25% of his salary then I'd be tempted (i.e. cap hit of $1.625m x 2).  

Edited by BigTramFan

I hope we go off the board and pick up another younger LD with some term who is about to make the jump into top 4. A less established left side version of Hronek if you will. If we’re gonna move out a 1st that’s the range of what it should be included for, imho.

No sense in my mind in spending on stop gap UFAs. Get some ROI in trade that lasts beyond the focus of an individual cup run. 

Despite all the anticipation there is no guarantee that either EPD or Willy will transition at the pace we hope they do. I’d insure the back end in the interim and thus provide a more sheltered opportunity for the prospects to earn their NHL experience over time when they are gradually introduced. 

Edited by RWJC

18 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I hope we go off the board and pick up another younger LD with some term who is about to make the jump into top 4. A less established left side version of Hronek if you will. If we’re gonna move out a 1st that’s the range of what it should be included for, imho.

No sense in my mind in spending on stop gap UFAs. Get some ROI in trade that lasts beyond the focus of an individual cup run. 

Despite all the anticipation there is no guarantee that either EPD or Willy will transition at the pace we hope they do. I’d insure the back end in the interim and thus provide a more sheltered opportunity for the prospects to earn their NHL experience over time when they are gradually introduced. 

This just made me wonder what the acquisition cost might be for Mattias Samuelsson. I'm sure he wouldn't be Buffalo's first choice to move, but they might entertain it if they are planning to re-sign Byram. Samuelsson has had trouble staying healthy, but is a defense first defenseman with a physical edge who has been playing top 4 minutes for 3 seasons.

I know that Dahlin, Power, and Byram can all play right side, but it is kind of ridiculous to have all of your top 4 left-handed. This is pretty much the only reason I think Samuelsson might be available.

30 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

This just made me wonder what the acquisition cost might be for Mattias Samuelsson. I'm sure he wouldn't be Buffalo's first choice to move, but they might entertain it if they are planning to re-sign Byram. Samuelsson has had trouble staying healthy, but is a defense first defenseman with a physical edge who has been playing top 4 minutes for 3 seasons.

I know that Dahlin, Power, and Byram can all play right side, but it is kind of ridiculous to have all of your top 4 left-handed. This is pretty much the only reason I think Samuelsson might be available.

This is exactly what I mean, thank you.

Pursue some excess from elsewhere (eg. MTL as well) that isn’t and likely won’t be getting the requisite TOI to prove much because of the talent ahead of them on the depth chart.

I’m obviously not egging it on now, but as the season progresses see what shakes loose and covet those opportunities more than the exaggerated price points and competition come TDL.

And also depending on what happens during the season and where SEA are in terms of playoff hunt, maybe look at SEA D Will Borgen as a potential UFA acquisition at TDL or in offseason if he’s still available. He’s a 3rd line RS RD who shouldn’t come too pricey and is a solid Dman. Again, all depends on how things play out with our club between Desharnais and Juulsen. In bringing in a guy like Borgen we could potentially shift Myers to the 3rd line duty. Borgen will be 28 in Dec though so a little out of my preferred range but he’s a solid Dman if you watch any Kraken games.