[PTO] Dermott to Edmonton

I liked Dermott as a Canuck back in the day.  Thought he had potential.  Has had injury trouble every season since he was a Leaf and is 27 now.

3rd pair left shot D.  Good luck.  Depth for the Oilers I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I generally see PTOs as a good will gesture by the team.  They think 'probably not but maybe' but give the player one more chance to get a contract anywhere.  

Agreed with Crabcakes that it was really injuries that stopped him from being a real part of this team.  Hope he can stay healthy.

29 minutes ago, DM_Ranger said:

I generally see PTOs as a good will gesture by the team.  They think 'probably not but maybe' but give the player one more chance to get a contract anywhere.  

Agreed with Crabcakes that it was really injuries that stopped him from being a real part of this team.  Hope he can stay healthy.

Wasn’t that case with every player Benning brought in?

They were good until they got here and then “injuries” made them suck…

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

So Benning cursed them? 

If I recall some of the players he brought in had reputations on being very durable until they got here? 

Maybe they were all brought in after the warranties expired. 🙂

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

So Benning cursed them? 

If I recall some of the players he brought in had reputations on being very durable until they got here? 

Maybe they were all brought in after the warranties expired. 🙂

I don’t wanna go too into the past but I think this organization has had issues with hiring proper trainers and medical staff for awhile now.

Hopefully JR and PA can bring a little more professionalism and stability to this part of the organization.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I liked Dermott as a Canuck back in the day.  Thought he had potential.  Has had injury trouble every season since he was a Leaf and is 27 now.

3rd pair left shot D.  Good luck.  Depth for the Oilers I suppose.

I can’t believe he’s only 27! Feels like he’s been around the block a few times already 

I would imagine most of the PTOs and last minutes contracts get signed by Friday.

With about a week until training camps no players wanna be getting to know guys day 1 of training camp. Need a little bit of time to acclimatize yourself.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Brandon Sutter will always hurt, virtually an iron man til signing here then a reverse iron man after. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/10/2024 at 10:16 PM, Canuck You said:

Depth?! He'd be like their second pairing!

Yep.  Ekholm is the only legit NHLer so tweeners like Stecher and Dermott should have a strong crack at the top 4 if Edmonton isn't still committed to playing AHL trash.

• Cheers 1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:00 AM, CanuckMan said:

What are some examples in recent years of players coming in on PTO’s and earning a roster spot?

Lee Stempniak is probably the best in recent years. He put up 41 points in 63 games with NJ in 2015-16 after being signed as a PTO. Our summer signing Sprong was also a recent PTO with Seattle in 2022 and then put up 21 goals and 46 points in 66 games. Jack Johnson also earned a spot on Colorado's cup winning team from a PTO.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

nice guy tho, hard not to want to see him do well. I'm fine with him in a 7/8 role or two-way type situation for the odd call up. 

Oh yeah nice guy but not someone I liked on the team. I like Friedman a lot better myself ... he just never did much of anything in his limited time and I thought it was a poor acquisition from the get go. It wasn't even Benning though lol so I can't blame him. 😄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh yeah nice guy but not someone I liked on the team. I like Friedman a lot better myself ... he just never did much of anything in his limited time and I thought it was a poor acquisition from the get go. It wasn't even Benning though lol so I can't blame him. 😄

He wasn't nearly as bad as guys like Larsen, Pouliot, Hunt, Del Zotto at least.

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He wasn't nearly as bad as guys like Larsen, Pouliot, Hunt, Del Zotto at least.

Yeah just vanilla as shit and not good at defence. At least he's not a complete waste of skin who doesn't know how to play defence. He just adds absolutely nothing to NHL hockey. He's AHL fodder at best.