[Article] The Boston Bruins Paid Premiums For Canucks and Flames Duo. Will They Be Home Runs?

RWJC

Boston's playstyle is much more suited to Lindholm's game, and with Pasta I wouldn't be surprised if he kills it with 70-90 points this year. Zadorov will be a fan favourite because he plays classic hockey, same reason he was loved here. Now, is Debrusk+Heinen+Forbort better than Lindholm+Zadorov? Not even close, but the cap flexibility to add Sherwood+Sprong+Desharnais is much more important to us now than our former Canucks would be, especially since Lindholm wasn't a great fit for us. 

I wish them all the best, I just really hope we don't play Zadorov in the finals. 

The bitter comments about Boston are always entertaining. I don’t think they see Vancouver as a rival.

While I do wish Zadorov and Lindholm all the best, especially when they play the Leafs, I must also recognize them for what they were: pure rentals that cost the organization assets. 

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

We dodged two bullets with these two puck suckers. Bruins fall back and miss the playoffs. F them, their players, their city, and their fans. 

We dodged two bullets with these two puck suckers. Bruins fall back and miss the playoffs. F them, their players, their city, their planet and their fans. 

• Haha 2

On 9/12/2024 at 12:52 PM, spook007 said:

We didn't score enough goals, but when we were running out of defenders, the NHL did a good one and gave a player a 4 match suspension, which has never been handed out before for a similar infringement... 

All their BS about injury etc... no a chance it would have happened had some Bruin done this to a Canuck... It was a cross check interference, which was slightly late, not a hit to the head or slow foot or something malicious... 

The NHL did what they could to help out Boston... rotten to the core...

I believe a few of the board of directors at that time had business interests with the Bruins to. Nope nothing shaddy at all......

• Cheers 1

On 9/12/2024 at 1:14 PM, Honkin Hronek said:

Boston's playstyle is much more suited to Lindholm's game, and with Pasta I wouldn't be surprised if he kills it with 70-90 points this year. Zadorov will be a fan favourite because he plays classic hockey, same reason he was loved here. Now, is Debrusk+Heinen+Forbort better than Lindholm+Zadorov? Not even close, but the cap flexibility to add Sherwood+Sprong+Desharnais is much more important to us now than our former Canucks would be, especially since Lindholm wasn't a great fit for us. 

I wish them all the best, I just really hope we don't play Zadorov in the finals. 

Rumor has it Vans offer was very close to Boston's, his decision was based on having a better chance with being a consistent 3-4 dman and more meaningful minuets with Boston.

Says a lot about Bostons present and future D... Says a lot about outs to.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Lindholm? Meh... Zadorov? A huge win for them! Huge loss for us! That, was horrendous! I don't know how management screwed that one up but it was a screw up royally! Sad to see him go! :(.  Petey had better get his act together in the playoffs every year or that cap space will surely haunt us for years, way worse than LE which I would have never dreamed possible. 

I could care less if I get slammed for saying this but I'd have traded EP40 for picks or let him hit the open market and filled his spot with someone else for 7-8.5 mil and signed Zads with the extra money left over for a 2-3-4 year deal while our young Dmen, Willander or EP worked their way in and got experienced to take his spot after he was finally let go, something to that affect.

I surely hope our coaching staff can work a wonder with Des, and it helps us make up for it.

Edited by iceman1964

2 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

Lindholm? Meh... Zadorov? A huge win for them! Huge loss for us! That, was horrendous! I don't know how management screwed that one up but it was a screw up royally! Sad to see him go! :(.  Petey had better get his act together in the playoffs every year or that cap space will surely haunt us for years, way worse than LE which I would have never dreamed possible. 

I could care less if I get slammed for saying this but I'd have traded EP40 for picks or let him hit the open market and filled his spot with someone else for 7-8.5 mil and signed Zads with the extra money left over for a 2-3-4 year deal while our young Dmen, Willander or EP worked their way in and got experienced to take his spot after he was finally let go, something to that affect.

I surely hope our coaching staff can work a wonder with Des, and it helps us make up for it.

I loved us having Zads here but lose EP to ensure extending Zads would be a Benningesque level mistake.

Even at his new salary EP is considered amongst the NHL elite. You don’t let that go for picks unless you’re a jackass franchise who can’t get their shit together eg. prime Yotes. 

Zadorov was a nice piece, a great one, but playing his best hockey ever (whether that be the RT/AF/SG influence or not) in a contract year means you’re paying more than you need to for his career average just to keep him. That cost could become an overall depth killer over time. If we didn’t extend Myers prior to I would have been ok to live with Zads new contract though if the term was shorter.

I don’t like trading good assets for rentals. In fact, I hate it and I hope mgmt as a whole decides that any further acquisitions like the deals that were made with CGY result in obtaining medium to long term intended fits with this club. Or better yet, trade for players that fit both criteria of need and have some term already with them too.

I fully understand the intention of the deals and the cap savings we realized in trading out Kuz as part, but imho that’s a lot of assets given up to what subsequently and strategically evolves into simply making space to eventually be able to sign some mid to low tier UFAs. Lindy and Zads for sure helped carry this team in the playoffs and I appreciate mgmt’s intention across the board to reward the club with reinforcements like they did. I just don’t like the price and total turnover/loss involved to do so, even if that was a back pocket plan. 

That said, I’m super happy with what mgmt did in offseason. I think it adds a whole other dimension to this club. But in the future, please please please retain our 1st round picks. Even if picking at the end of the round, they still hold so much value as currency in the league. And for us, we can’t afford much longer to restock our talent pool with B level prospects. We need some A levels to slide in when/if Lek, Will and EPD make the jump. Or worse, they don’t. 

We appear to have a pretty solid roster going forward now, with minimal opportunities (some positions) in the immediate future for most prospects unless they have very high potential or fit a specific role/niche.

Depending on timelines, we must continue to stockpile developmental talent. And high end at that. 

In the medium range, I really liked how Josh Bloom showed at last camp. Aggressive, assertive, and with an obvious edge (especially to his forechecking) with a solid overall game. Really hoping he pans out.  Have high hopes for Mynio and Tolopilo too.

Would really love to see this club keep adding and developing 1st round level talent though just to fully embrace future succession planning in the now. Hard to juggle that when you’re a potential cup contender but I do think it possible for this club where we are currently positioned (thanks to great management).

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, RWJC said:

I loved us having Zads here but lose EP to ensure extending Zads would be a Benningesque level mistake.

Even at his new salary EP is considered amongst the NHL elite. You don’t let that go for picks unless you’re a jackass franchise who can’t get their shit together eg. prime Yotes. 

Zadorov was a nice piece, a great one, but playing his best hockey ever (whether that be the RT/AF/SG influence or not) in a contract year means you’re paying more than you need to for his career average just to keep him. That cost could become an overall depth killer over time. If we didn’t extend Myers prior to I would have been ok to live with Zads new contract though if the term was shorter.

I don’t like trading good assets for rentals. In fact, I hate it and I hope mgmt as a whole decides that any further acquisitions like the deals that were made with CGY result in obtaining medium to long term intended fits with this club. Or better yet, trade for players that fit both criteria of need and have some term already with them too.

I fully understand the intention of the deals and the cap savings we realized in trading out Kuz as part, but imho that’s a lot of assets given up to what subsequently and strategically evolves into simply making space to eventually be able to sign some mid to low tier UFAs. Lindy and Zads for sure helped carry this team in the playoffs and I appreciate mgmt’s intention across the board to reward the club with reinforcements like they did. I just don’t like the price and total turnover/loss involved to do so, even if that was a back pocket plan. 

That said, I’m super happy with what mgmt did in offseason. I think it adds a whole other dimension to this club. But in the future, please please please retain our 1st round picks. Even if picking at the end of the round, they still hold so much value as currency in the league. And for us, we can’t afford much longer to restock our talent pool with B level prospects. We need some A levels to slide in when/if Lek, Will and EPD make the jump. Or worse, they don’t. 

We appear to have a pretty solid roster going forward now, with minimal opportunities (some positions) in the immediate future for most prospects unless they have very high potential or fit a specific role/niche.

Depending on timelines, we must continue to stockpile developmental talent. And high end at that. 

In the medium range, I really liked how Josh Bloom showed at last camp. Aggressive, assertive, and with an obvious edge (especially to his forechecking) with a solid overall game. Really hoping he pans out.  Have high hopes for Mynio and Tolopilo too.

Would really love to see this club keep adding and developing 1st round level talent though just to fully embrace future succession planning in the now. Hard to juggle that when you’re a potential cup contender but I do think it possible for this club where we are currently positioned (thanks to great management)

Imagine if EP pulls a LE in the playoffs in the next cpl of seasons.. wonder how that would fly in Canuckland?

Trading EP for picks and getting a bit tough second line center for 7-9 mil and let JTM pull first line duties isn't exactly a bad idea but we can disagree 

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, iceman1964 said:

Imagine if EP pulls a LE in the playoffs in the next cpl of seasons.. wonder how that would fly in Canuckland?

Trading EP for picks and getting a bit tough second line center for 7-9 mil and let JTM pull first line duties isn't exactly a bad idea but we can disagree 

I hear ya about the EP concerns. This next season and new contract will only amplify the debate about his value to this club and as a player. That said, despite the injury issues he’s also never really had solid W’s to work with (aside from Lotto line). He’s a great player but also needs to be elevated by whom he plays with. Here’s hoping we have some pieces this season that provide him that. 

In some ways, despite my previous post, if the right few came along for EP that gave us what you said, but instead of picks included NHL playing prospects (eg. a Jake Neighbours type), it would be hard for me to not strongly consider it if only because of EP’s cap hit spent on one single player. Huggy is the next one commanding top dollar and imho, Huggy is far more valuable to this club’s success than EP atm.

I’m just very pleased we have both while also super thankful we locked in JTM for what we did. That is a huge boost to the overall capability of this club. 

On 9/14/2024 at 5:38 PM, iceman1964 said:

He's not going to get a pass forever.  Game 7 versus EDM, threw ONE hit.   Like where was that all series long.   Or NSH for that matter.   Excuses excuses.  Yes Ilya Mikheyev was set up a few times, but only one of those was an easy tap in.    Not like Lafayette and Ronning didn't miss theirs, and Ronning had a bad wrist so couldn't get it up.   The others Ilya M had to actually not shoot it into the goalie.  

Where we lose with EP, is getting to the post season.   Still have to make it there.  It does bother me that QHs and EP seem to be regular season beasts, but haven't done anything of consequence (ok matched it) really in both the bubble and the playoffs.    It is concerning that Lindholm was by far the better center. 

Edit:  He won draws, he was second of the forward group in hits and he wasn't giving love taps.    EP trips over his own feet still, and he's not 19-22 anymore which is forgivable.   That said, aside from Bure and Tanti, no Canuck has scored as many goals in as many seasons and he is a center...well maybe Linden but it would be pretty much a wash.    Hope we are going to get that peak we are all waiting for.   And  I'm sure grateful for the mixed crew we have.   EP is properly insulated.   And after this year, another top six guy to play with, there isn't any excuses anymore either.   

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's not going to get a pass forever.  Game 7 versus EDM, threw ONE hit.   Like where was that all series long.   Or NSH for that matter.   Excuses excuses.  Yes Ilya Mikheyev was set up a few times, but only one of those was an easy tap in.    Not like Lafayette and Ronning didn't miss theirs, and Ronning had a bad wrist so couldn't get it up.   

Where we lose with EP, is getting to the post season.   Still have to make it there.  It does bother me that QHs and EP seem to be regular season beasts, but haven't done anything of consequence really in both the bubble and the playoffs.    It is concerning that Lindholm was by far the better center. 

Edit:  He won draws, he was second of the forward group in hits and he wasn't giving love taps.    EP trips over his own feet still, and he's not 19-22 anymore which is forgivable.   That said, aside from Bure and Tanti, no Canuck has scored as many goals in as many seasons and he is a center.   Sure hope we are going to get that peak we are all waiting for. 

Both EP and Hughes were playing through injuries during this playoffs. Would it have been better they sit in the press box or tough it out and contribute the best they can? Don’t forget, when healthy, both guys were fantastic in their previous playoffs. Hughes set the record for scoring by a rookie D. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Both EP and Hughes were playing through injuries during this playoffs. Would it have been better they sit in the press box or tough it out and contribute the best they can? Don’t forget, when healthy, both guys were fantastic in their previous playoffs. Hughes set the record for scoring by a rookie D. 

They weren't fantastic.   They managed well for sure given they were rookies.   Ok QHs was a rookie.   Do you remember a single goal by EP that stuck out?   Horvats stuck out for sure.   They got their points until Vegas then were invisible.    We won't win a cup if half way through it's too hard.   That's a legitimate concern.   

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

They weren't fantastic.   They managed well for sure given they were rookies.   Ok QHs was a rookie.   Do you remember a single goal by EP that stuck out?   Horvats stuck out for sure.   They got their points until Vegas then were invisible.    We won't win a cup if half way through it's too hard.   That's a legitimate concern.    Same with injuries.  

FA8A189A-BE8E-41D7-AC90-10069DD53AAC.gif.6ade2762cefb6503479a9e2984dffeb5.gif

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

FA8A189A-BE8E-41D7-AC90-10069DD53AAC.gif.6ade2762cefb6503479a9e2984dffeb5.gif

Just going by what I saw with my own eyeball's.    What were you watching?   EP had a really bad playoff.   QHs wasn't close to as effective either, although he did adapt out of self preservation, same thing he did in the bubble.   At least we picked up Soucy.   Who was pounding the crap out of our guys in the bubble.   Too bad we didn't get Whitecloud and Hartman too.   I'm sure the brass acknowledged these things.   Don't be shocked to see QHs and Hronek broken up.     As for EP he's got a lot to prove.   Is he a regular season player.   Or both.   

Guess my definition of fantastic is a little different.   Linden was fantastic in the playoffs.   So was Bure.   As was Ronning one series, as was Horvat taking on O'Reilly and the cup champs, as was Kesler versus NSH, Bieksa versus Eager/SJ (we were barely holding on in that series).    So was Luongo and McLean a few series each.  

I don't have QHs or EP having a memorable series yet.    Sure hope to see it though. 

Edited by IBatch

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Just going by what I saw with my own eyeball's.    What were you watching?   EP had a really bad playoff.   QHs wasn't close to as effective either, although he did adapt out of self preservation, same thing he did in the bubble.   At least we picked up Soucy.   Who was pounding the crap out of our guys in the bubble.   Too bad we didn't get Whitecloud and Hartman too.   I'm sure the brass acknowledged these things.   Don't be shocked to see QHs and Hronek broken up.     As for EP he's got a lot to prove.   Is he a regular season player.   Or both.   

Guess my definition of fantastic is a little different.   Linden was fantastic in the playoffs.   So was Bure.   As was Ronning one series, as was Horvat taking on O'Reilly and the cup champs, as was Kesler versus NSH, Bieksa versus Eager/SJ (we were barely holding on in that series).    So was Luongo and McLean a few series each.  

I don't have QHs or EP having a memorable series yet.    Sure hope to see it though. 

They were both playing through injuries. It’s actually commendable they stayed playing instead going into the press box. That’s leadership. Shows their toughness too. Greatness. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They were both playing through injuries. It’s actually commendable they stayed playing instead going into the press box. That’s leadership. Shows their toughness too. Greatness. 

Yeah that's too bad.   I've got us winning the cup this year so let's get on page!  This was the funniest cheerleading clip i could find on short notice.  I love both our guys too Skipping Take Your Time GIF by NETFLIX

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:00 PM, Vancan said:

Rumor has it Vans offer was very close to Boston's, his decision was based on having a better chance with being a consistent 3-4 dman and more meaningful minuets with Boston.

Says a lot about Bostons present and future D... Says a lot about outs to.

7 x 7 was the max offer.    He also takes home a lot more in Boston than he would have here with an identical offer.     "Rumour " has it, he went with the big pile of cash.   Zadarov too although i'd of happily paid what he were asking for, even if it only meant we got the best from him in the post season.    Pretty sure he'd of been playing with EP if we did sign him (Lindholm), can't get much more meaningful.   Pasta is great , the Rat close to done.    Things won't be looking super rosey in Boston in a couple years. 

Edit:  - Zadarov was right in the range of comps and what analytics said he was worth.   Lindholm 6.75 x 5.    So he was for sure the big winner. 

Edited by IBatch