[Rumour] Garland to Pittsburgh

Just now, QuinnNorris said:

Garland=play driver

I bet Alf started this.

Also Ned is an average backup and not worth more than a 3rd.

If Pittsburgh is wanting to free up cap and give Blomqvist a chance we could get him for a pick.

Id rather just sign Lankinen though who’s just as good if not better.

• Like 1

Unless they needed the cap space to chase a Dawson Mercer or a big piece I can’t imagine us trading garland for Eller and a goalie. A goalie that we could prolly get a better quality one off waivers soon:

I don’t mind eller as a player but he’s quite old now, shoots left and is a UFA. Doesn’t make sense to me really.

If he was right handed and a tiny bit younger maybe. I don’t think this is legit

so me saying that it’s prolly

gonna happen

41 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’m pretty sure this is just a BS rumour, but I wanted to point out that I don’t think people here realize how important Garland is to this team.

He is a huge play driver for us, and one of the main reasons why we had one of the best third lines in the NHL last year.

If we trade Garland I don’t think Joshua would be the same player. 

This. To win a cup you need a legit third line. Garland drives the line so I hope this rumor is BS. That said, if the return is legit and makes the team and teams future better, gotta listen I suppose. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

Don't pay any attention to these kind of websites, they post click bait / triggering articles to get people to riled up for ad revenue.

It's tough navigating sites and trying to eliminate the crap. Seems to be more and more of it all the time. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Ned ain’t the answer if we did need a goalie. Rather just sign Lankinen right now.

And Eller? Seriously? 🤣

Yep...simply sign Lankinen IF we need goalie insurance, and use LTIR on the goalie that is out.

I get that the cap space would be nice next year, but Garland will have more value on an expiring contract. He'd even increase his trade value with a good 24/25 showing. With his partners in crime back for this year, I am pretty sure he will do well.

If we are strictly looking to get some cap space to bring back BB6 on a long term contract, then this is one way to go BUT why bother with Nedeljkovic who's making $2.5M and really sucks now?? 

I don't mind Lars Eller coming... he's a proven 3C with tons of playoff experience, decent FO%, +/-.....  and on last year of contract. I don't mind trading Garland plus a lower end prospect just for Eller... and then sign up Martin Jones to a cheap deal!! 

20 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It's tough navigating sites and trying to eliminate the crap. Seems to be more and more of it all the time. 

I think when an article straight up says that a trade is “speculation” then it’s not that serious.  Particularly when there is no given source of the speculation.  
It could just be a couple of random dudes at the bar shooting breeze for all we know.  

• ThereItIs 1

The issue with Garland is we can't afford to have a 3rd line winger making $5 million.  We need to extend Boeser and we need cap space for that next summer.  Garland is a luxury on the 3rd line.  If Sprong plays well I can see him signing long term here at a reasonable cap hit to play on the 3rd line.  Lekkerimaki then plays with Petey.

The other issue is that if Demko is gonna be injured for half the year then most likely he is not getting extended next summer and could possibly be traded.  So we would need a 1A coming back to play with Silovs.  Ned isn't a 1A.

So, I could see both Garland and Demko being traded at some point to open up $10 million in cap space to extend Boeser, Sprong, get a 1A goalie and maybe get a left winger for Miller or a top 4 RHD in the Demko trade...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’m pretty sure this is just a BS rumour, but I wanted to point out that I don’t think people here realize how important Garland is to this team.

He is a huge play driver for us, and one of the main reasons why we had one of the best third lines in the NHL last year.

If we trade Garland I don’t think Joshua would be the same player. 

We know that Joshua isn't the same player without Garland.  You can look at stats from last year, when Joshua was taken away from Garland (even when playing with Miller)... his production tanked.

When Garland played without Joshua, Garland still produced regardless of who he was playing with.

It doesn't mean that we don't end up trading him as a 3rd line player making those dollars for a capped out team still needing other upgrades could be a luxury.  He is probably gone next year no matter what so we can afford a Boeser raise.  Hopefully by then Lekkerimaki is ready to roll and provide significant minutes.

I can only imagine training camp is going to try a bunch of different combinations before putting Joshua and Garland back together... they know that can work, so maybe trying Joshua and Garland somewhere in the top six will be an experiment as we have upgraded other options in the bottom six since last year.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The issue with Garland is we can't afford to have a 3rd line winger making $5 million.  We need to extend Boeser and we need cap space for that next summer.  Garland is a luxury on the 3rd line.  If Sprong plays well I can see him signing long term here at a reasonable cap hit to play on the 3rd line.  Lekkerimaki then plays with Petey.

The other issue is that if Demko is gonna be injured for half the year then most likely he is not getting extended next summer and could possibly be traded.  So we would need a 1A coming back to play with Silovs.  Ned isn't a 1A.

So, I could see both Garland and Demko being traded at some point to open up $10 million in cap space to extend Boeser, Sprong, get a 1A goalie and maybe get a left winger for Miller or a top 4 RHD in the Demko trade...

No team gets very far without a stellar third line.   All of your other points seem to begin with IF.

18 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think when an article straight up says that a trade is “speculation” then it’s not that serious.  Particularly when there is no given source of the speculation.  
It could just be a couple of random dudes at the bar shooting breeze for all we know.  

Or some dumbass like me from a forum. Lol.

Edited by Rekker
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

No team gets very far without a stellar third line.   All of your other points seem to begin with IF.

No team gets very far without a 2nd line either, or a 1st line, or a top pairing D, or a top goalie.  At the end of the day, you only have so much cap to go around.  Paying a 3rd line winger $5 million is not using cap space very efficiently.  Especially if that 3rd liner doesn't even play special teams.

Garland is a luxury for this team, he is not a necessity.  We can move Sprong to the 3rd line, he's a better goal scorer than Garland, and Lekkerimaki is Petey's new winger.  I think that is the plan...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No team gets very far without a 2nd line either, or a 1st line, or a top pairing D, or a top goalie.  At the end of the day, you only have so much cap to go around.  Paying a 3rd line winger $5 million is not using cap space very efficiently.  Especially if that 3rd liner doesn't even play special teams.

Garland is a luxury for this team, he is not a necessity.  We can move Sprong to the 3rd line, he's a better goal scorer than Garland, and Lekkerimaki is Petey's new winger.  I think that is the plan...

First and second lines are a given and I did not feel I needed to even mention them.   Props for not using the word IF in your response. 🙂

Unless management is withholding a dark secret I say wait for camp and see who gels with whom.  

• Cheers 1