[Rumour] Garland to Pittsburgh

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

No team gets very far without a stellar third line.   All of your other points seem to begin with IF.

We also added a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners for reasonable cap hits this offseason.

All of Heinen, Sherwood, and Sprong are all added to the existing group of Suter, Blueger, Joshua, Hoglander, and PDG.  That is 8 guys NOT including Garland for 6-7 spots.

Two of them are likely going to have to play in the top six as we don't have enough legit top six guys.  If we needed a goalie and added Eller as part of the return... Eller is an EXCELLENT 3rd line centre who would be likely make a great PK duo with Heinen, so you aren't losing a lot there.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No team gets very far without a 2nd line either, or a 1st line, or a top pairing D, or a top goalie.  At the end of the day, you only have so much cap to go around.  Paying a 3rd line winger $5 million is not using cap space very efficiently.  Especially if that 3rd liner doesn't even play special teams.

Garland is a luxury for this team, he is not a necessity.  We can move Sprong to the 3rd line, he's a better goal scorer than Garland, and Lekkerimaki is Petey's new winger.  I think that is the plan...

They don’t go through keeping that third line all together just to trade Garland.

Joshua would not have had the season he did without him. Good way to make him an overpaid fourth liner.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

We also added a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners for reasonable cap hits this offseason.

All of Heinen, Sherwood, and Sprong are all added to the existing group of Suter, Blueger, Joshua, Hoglander, and PDG.  That is 8 guys NOT including Garland for 6-7 spots.

Two of them are likely going to have to play in the top six as we don't have enough legit top six guys.  If we needed a goalie and added Eller as part of the return... Eller is an EXCELLENT 3rd line centre who would be likely make a great PK duo with Heinen, so you aren't losing a lot there.

I think the Canucks are good at scouting guys who are playing well above their weight with very limited time or space in the top 6 on their old teams.

All three new guys deserve to show what they can do with the JT/Brock line or the Petey/Debrusk line.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I see your point but...

- I am not taking the trade proposed in this thread very seriously  

- I think PDG is likely the odd man out in your list

- We need two guys to sit every game while awaiting the injuries that will surely come 

- I have to confess I really like Garland (so maybe I have a bias against him going (in a trade I don't even really believe in))

If Garland goes, I'd rather we use that cap space and value to really shore up our defence core.  A very strong defence group could make an average goaltender look like a star. 

Garland for Marcus Pettersson -- 1 for 1 deal.

Savings in cap:  $900k+

Accrue cap until TDL and trade for another top 4D like Connor Murphy from CHI.

Hughes-Hronek

Pettersson-Murphy

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Garland goes, I'd rather we use that cap space and value to really shore up our defence core.  A very strong defence group could make an average goaltender look like a star. 

Hughes-Hronek

Pettersson-Murphy

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

I could see a bigger deal with Pittsburgh to get M Petey as well.  Remember, we have Poolman's contract on the books, so if we can trade his cap, then that frees up $2.5 million.  So we could swing a trade for M Petey as well and ship Suter the other way along with a 1st round pick...

To Vancouver:

Marcus Pettersson

Lars Eller

Alex Nedeljkovic

To Pittsburgh:

Conor Garland

Pius Suter

Tucker Poolman

2025 1st round pick

Cap works.  We fix our D and we get a backup goalie and we get a bigger 3C and move Blueger to 4C...

Hoglander     Miller             Boeser

DeBrusk        Pettersson    Lekkerimaki

Joshua          Eller              Sprong

Heinen          Blueger        Sherwood

PDG            Aman

Hughes            Hronek

Pettersson       Myers

Soucy              Desharnais

Forbort            Juulsen

Demko   Nedeljkovic   Silovs

I think we've fixed all our problems with one trade really...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Pettersson-Murphy

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

I agree.

Garland is a solid player, but having a 3rd liner making 5 mill is a luxury we cant really afford with a pretty big gap in our D core.  Pettersson adds more size to out D, but not sure how it would work adding another LD.

1 minute ago, pomorick said:

How about just NO! Garland was great last year and in the playoffs too. He and Joshua giive us the makings of the best third line in the league!

I could see it if they wanted cap space to bring in another D man.

Using that space for Eller and an average backup though? Makes zero sense.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Pettersson-Murphy

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

I would rather keep Garlund then mess around with the chemistry built between Joshua/Garly.

Also, I dont think the Dfense is in that bad of shape, and would like to see how much improvement there is for Forbort-Desharnais with our style of game and Foote, Tocc, Ganchar doing their thing.

Let the team GEL.   I didnt do the math but it seems like Canucks were more successful without Zadorov and Lindholm?

49 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I agree.

Garland is a solid player, but having a 3rd liner making 5 mill is a luxury we cant really afford with a pretty big gap in our D core.  Pettersson adds more size to out D, but not sure how it would work adding another LD.

If Tocc decides to split up Garland/Joshua I could see Him w Petey/Debrusk or Miller/Boeser.  He is a dog in the puck and helps extend play w his tenacity/puck skills.

But having a momentum changing third line is also a huge asset.  If the 4th line can get going I think Tocc will be a very happy coach.

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Or PDG for that matter. Some people have deluded themselves into believing they’re top 6 forwards.

"Suter can play with any top six player" ok cool but if you're trying to win a cup he should be your 3C at best. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I think Sprong is going to get some rope in camp to be on the debrusk-petey line. We know that his offence is there, if his poor defence  was a lack of committment and he cleans that up, that's a big win. Puts more guys in roles in the bottom 6 they should be in.

I like the idea of hogs with Miller and Boeser too. 

Edited by Bob Long

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I think Sprong is going to get some rope in camp to be on the debrusk-petey line. We know that his offence is there, if his poor defence  was a lack of committment and he cleans that up, that's a big win. Puts more guys in roles in the bottom 6 they should be in.

I like the idea of hogs with Miller and Boeser too. 

I think a few guys get auditions in the top six.  None of them have been able to be in those roles consistently.  I would put Sprong with Miller, hard to not play the right way with your line mate pushing you all the time.

Debrusk on a Petey line means Boeser could be a great fit.

Heinen-Miller-Sprong

Debrusk-Petterson-Boeser

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think a few guys get auditions in the top six.  None of them have been able to be in those roles consistently.  I would put Sprong with Miller, hard to not play the right way with your line mate pushing you all the time.

Debrusk on a Petey line means Boeser could be a great fit.

Heinen-Miller-Sprong

Debrusk-Petterson-Boeser

I'm most interested in Sprong this camp. If he's found religion under Tocc he could be what we all hoped Kuzy would be. 

I like the chemistry Miller and Boeser have developed, which is why I figured it would be Petey-Sprong but I like this look as well.