[Rumour] Garland to Pittsburgh

On 9/14/2024 at 4:27 PM, Coconuts said:

He's said he's not interested in playing anywhere else for years. He said so earlier this spring, and just this week he expressed confidence in a deal getting done before the season; it'll probably come with term, and the term will probably be dictated by how long he wants to keep playing, it's hard to see the Penguins giving him anything less. 

The fact people keep bringing up the possibility of him playing elsewhere at this point is silly. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/3071393/crosby-pretty-optimistic-hell-sign-extension-before-season

And ... you are correct good sir !!!

Just signed a 2 year extension. I always thought the Crosby comments were completely silly.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea but on the same note, does he want to end his career this way? Rumours are Malkin is done after this season, the rest of the team is washed up, nothing really promising on the horizon. It’s going to be pretty ugly. At least at the TDL, it’s a short stint, it gives back to the organization and he can come right back and sign like nothing happened.

Nope ... Crosby is a Penguino through and through.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

when you have the most expensive 3rd line in the league (not including players on the tail end of contract or declining demoted to 3rd/4th lines).. well above the league average.. you sure as hell better be one of the best. 

Benn/Seguin Dallas.   Sometimes it works out. 

20 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

And ... you are correct good sir !!!

Just signed a 2 year extension. I always thought the Crosby comments were completely silly.

Me too.   Aside from a thought exercise.   It's not like he was Ray Borque, as in never won anything.  He won a cup almost right away, then two more.    He's already done all there is to accomplish in the world of hockey, including now a big middle finger to the greedier players. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Benn/Seguin Dallas.   Sometimes it works out. 

Sure but Benn and seguin is prolly still good enough and better than some top 6 on most teams.. that just shows you how deep that Dallas team is in the top 9. I don’t think we can say the same thing about garland Joshua bluegar being a legit top 6 on most teams 

On 9/15/2024 at 3:49 PM, qwijjibo said:

Not out of the realm of possibilities, but not likely at this point 

Depends on circumstances.   For example if they put him with EP and Debrusk.   For all the love Burrows gets, he had 4 seasons with the Canuck's he managed 48, 51, 52 and an outlier 67 points, the rest in the low 20's to low 30's, as the next best seasons - and he played with the Sedins and made them better too.    He was loved for a reason, and Garland is made of some of the same stuff.  Snubbed despite leading the CHL in points his overage draft.    Garland wasn't a bad signing after all.     And as for our fan base, think about that a little bit when Brock signs his next deal.   

Edited by IBatch

when you have the most expensive 3rd line in the league (not including players on the tail end of contract or declining demoted to 3rd/4th lines).. well above the league average.. you sure as hell better be one of the best. 

Even though our third line is great we are allocating five mil in cap to Garland who is a winger that doesn’t pk and isn’t a pp guy either. We should be reallocating his cap to a right shot 3C who is a shutdown guy that is good on faceoffs and the pk. 
Garland for Pageau? Not too sure Lou Lam would do that though. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Even though our third line is great we are allocating five mil in cap to Garland who is a winger that doesn’t pk and isn’t a pp guy either. We should be reallocating his cap to a right shot 3C who is a shutdown guy that is good on faceoffs and the pk. 
Garland for Pageau? Not too sure Lou Lam would do that though. 

Base it on cap percentage, and then compare that allocation to some of the guys we've signed in the past who did a lot less. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Depends on circumstances.   For example if they put him with EP and Debrusk.   For all the love Burrows gets, he had 4 seasons with the Canuck's he managed 48, 51, 52 and an outlier 67 points, the rest in the low 30's.    He was loved for a reason, and Garland is made of some of the same stuff.  Snubbed despite leading the CHL in points his overage draft. 

Burr was great in a checking role and on the pk. Two things Garland isn’t good at. Plus Burr proved successful against better players (top six) and Garland struggled there. Lekkerimaki is a much better fit with Petey and Debrusk. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Burr was great in a checking role and on the pk. Two things Garland isn’t good at. Plus Burr proved successful against better players (top six) and Garland struggled there. Lekkerimaki is a much better fit with Petey and Debrusk. 

I'm not saying Burrows wasn't great, he was awesome.   I'm saying Garland is too.   It was pretty noticeable to me anyways, his first season with us on a bad team.   Or bad coaching or bad something.    Miller and Garland were the only forwards doing much of anything Greens final days.   Bruce didn't like Garland, for whatever reason.    I like little guys or big guys or any guys who play their hearts out every shift.   Garland is a shit disturber too, like Burrows was.    Also has a little Cliff Ronning in him as far as been able to dipsy doodle around with the puck.    His pay cheque is inline with his production, more so he isn't given any power play time.   Burrows got power play time. 

As for Lekkermaki, i'd be surprised if he didn't have more than an audition at some point this season.   Doubt he bumps either Sprong or Hogs.   Definitely won't bump Garland. 

Edited by IBatch

our 3rd line could end up being henein, suter and sprong. there is nothing in tocchet's thinking that says, our 3rd line has to be garland, joshua and blueger.

tocchet will play his players where they can best serve the teams success.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sure but Benn and seguin is prolly still good enough and better than some top 6 on most teams.. that just shows you how deep that Dallas team is in the top 9. I don’t think we can say the same thing about garland Joshua bluegar being a legit top 6 on most teams 

Benn and Seguin didn't come close to earning their current deals.   The owner got so enraged he publicly chastised them a few years into those deals.   They are deep, absolutely, it's like you said, an example of guys who've slid down the depth chart as in aging vets.   Still way more expensive than our third line is.    I'd rather have our third line then either of those guys... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Break Up Crying GIF

Dreams Hopes GIF

Hey it was worth a believable hot minute. If there was any team to get Crosby with any realistic chance, it was us. But Crosby is too superstitious, which kinda hurts PIT… they are headed for a very dark rebuild. It’s like when the Sedins retired for us, we had no true generational or elite talent anywhere close to ready or in sight. We got lucky we found EP and QH at 5 and 7. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Hey it was worth a believable hot minute. If there was any team to get Crosby with any realistic chance, it was us. But Crosby is too superstitious, which kinda hurts PIT… they are headed for a very dark rebuild. It’s like when the Sedins retired for us, we had no true generational or elite talent anywhere close to ready or in sight. We got lucky we found EP and QH at 5 and 7. 

Yep.  It was far worse for Mario when he had to literarily lace them up again to save that franchise.   Crosby won't win another cup there that's for sure, and yes they are in for some very dark days ahead.   Wouldn't at all shock me if the last two years end up becoming a decade without a playoff appearance.   That's part of being a 32 team league these days, just ask CAR, DET and Buffalo 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  It was far worse for Mario when he had to literarily lace them up again to save that franchise.   Crosby won't win another cup there that's for sure, and yes they are in for some very dark days ahead.   Wouldn't at all shock me if the last two years end up becoming a decade without a playoff appearance.   That's part of being a 32 team league these days, just ask CAR, DET and Buffalo 

10 years if they are lucky and everything goes smooth at the draft table. It could be longer if the rumours are true of a 34 team league within the next 10 years. there goes 2 more roster players just as they are starting to gain any traction. That’s assuming everything goes somewhat smooth at the draft too.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I mean shit look at NJD

IMG_0343.thumb.png.2609a390c564eb4d3b341c2a161fbb4d.png

11 first round picks 6 in the top 10, two first overalls and plenty of 2nd round picks.

2 playoff appearances in 12 years

• Cheers 2

I mean shit look at NJD

11 first round picks 6 in the top 10, two first overalls and plenty of 2nd round picks.

Yep for sure.   Also other teams creeping up on things.   Personally think the league needs to look at bringing back the play-ins permanently, records be damned.   Once the league expanded past the 24 mark it was always going to be fugly for franchises, original six, original expansion or otherwise.   CHI.   They had their guys giving away tickets in malls before they won their first of three cups (so seen the suck before, same with PIT was really ugly .. same with NJ in the 80's, they were a joke really ).    Buffalo is 11 years and counting now.   CAR missed 9 in a row.   That's bad for business. 

Edit:  Also will say after the 80-90's and  the dead puck suck it era right through most of the 2000's including the lockout  shittastic players replacing the ones prior ... until finally seeing another great wave ... I've survived a lot of bad hockey.   And won't put myself through each division expanding to ten, and waiting another decade for it to catch up, and another cycle of whatever it was we want to call what we currently went through to get where we are now (i'm pretty bullish on this team) again.   If we go to ten teams per division, i'm done.    Well will quit until another core comes up, likely be using a walker or a wheelchair by then.   It's unforgivable to put fans through that.  And what will become, 60% of the franchises.    Don't get me talking about taxes.   Burke at least has the balls to air their dirty little secret as to why no Canadian team has won since 1993 (when i grew up, it was MTL,NYI,EDM, MTL,CAL with a stranglehold), that's so obvious its comical.   Rising cap.  US payroll adios WNP/Nords, and since the salary cap a 16.6% discrepancy in cap.   That's too broad a range in a vanilla parity league.    Actually would be super fond of that, if the Canuck's were like Florida, Tampa, Vegas and Dallas.    As in on the other end of the spectrum.   And just for food for thought, the 2010-2011 teams and peak Sedin era were taxed the same as the Alberta teams.  Instead of 53% and change like now,  47% and change.   It matters.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

While I've always liked Garland and he does make up a third of perhaps the most effective 3rd line in the NHL, he SHOULD be, considering his 5m paycheque. For anyone thinking that we shouldn't trade him away for assets if possible simply isn't considering the concept of talent management in a cap world. It was only a year ago we were talking about what the Canucks would have to give away in order to move his contract, and now some are expecting big returns? Ain't gonna happen.

Would losing Garland be a hit to the team? Absolutely. However, taking him out and adding a 5m bonified 1b or 2a defenceman would provide better overall benefit. If you look at our entire roster, our forward lines are pretty strong but I feel the most glaring deficiency is on the 2nd defensive pairing. Both Soucy and Myers are ok in a 2nd pairing role in a pinch, but I don't think either are ideal. But I believe our d is more or less set, with bringing in a LD meaning Forbort sits (which is fine), but Myers is still expected to play a 4d role. Bringing in a RD means Myers slips to a comfortable 5/6 role, but then Desharnais ends up sitting with his 2m salary which doesn't make much sense.

This appears to be the team we're moving forward with. 

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep for sure.   Also other teams creeping up on things.   Personally think the league needs to look at bringing back the play-ins permanently, records be damned.   Once the league expanded past the 24 mark it was always going to be fugly for franchises, original six, original expansion or otherwise.   CHI.   They had their guys giving away tickets in malls before they won their first of three cups (so seen the suck before, same with PIT was really ugly .. same with NJ in the 80's, they were a joke really ).    Buffalo is 11 years and counting now.   CAR missed 9 in a row.   That's bad for business. 

Edit:  Also will say after the 80-90's and  the dead puck suck it era right through most of the 2000's including the lockout  shittastic players replacing the ones prior ... until finally seeing another great wave ... I've survived a lot of bad hockey.   And won't put myself through each division expanding to ten, and waiting another decade for it to catch up, and another cycle of whatever it was we want to call what we currently went through to get where we are now (i'm pretty bullish on this team) again.   If we go to ten teams per division, i'm done.  

Correct... If they are going to water it down to 10 per division, the quality is going to suffer and it'll be even harder to win anything...

Might as well watch AHL games instead....

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

our 3rd line could end up being henein, suter and sprong. there is nothing in tocchet's thinking that says, our 3rd line has to be garland, joshua and blueger.

tocchet will play his players where they can best serve the teams success.

Thanks and amen to that.   Sure would love to see Debrusk-Miller-Brock 

Joshua-EP-Garland.

Or even instead maybe Joshua Miller Garland and DeBrusk EP Brock. 

DeBrusk EP Brock makes sense if the team intends to re-up Brock (which I think they do), as a long term line. 

We have Bluegar and Suter now at least to anchor the bottom six center roles and see you later Aman.   Personally would like to see JT Miller and Brock get De-Brusk next season.  Get that a balance is needed.   But those two certainly earned that based on last season.

Also we can role four lines anyways.   Our forward group is designed for that.    Hogs worked until he was promoted go figure.   

Edited by IBatch

I mean shit look at NJD

This is an excellent example of something I’d hinted at/asked about earlier re: teams with high end talent not making it before expensive players age out. They’re still running a pretty steady ship over there compared to Edmonton though, in my opinion 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I mean shit look at NJD

It just goes to show that you can draft all the talent in the world but if you don’t have the right GM and coach in place it will be squandered.

Look how many years it took Edmonton to get it right and that was because they won the lotto and get a generational player.