[Rumour] Garland to Pittsburgh

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

If Garland goes, I'd rather we use that cap space and value to really shore up our defence core.  A very strong defence group could make an average goaltender look like a star. 

Garland for Marcus Pettersson -- 1 for 1 deal.

Savings in cap:  $900k+

Accrue cap until TDL and trade for another top 4D like Connor Murphy from CHI.

Hughes-Hronek

Pettersson-Murphy

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

Yes please

14 minutes ago, The Duke said:

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Sprong

is intriguing.  Offence for days.

and having:

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Heinen-Blueger-Sherwood 

as your bottom 6 is just filthy.  

I have zero time for Garland trade rumours, but some interesting lineups at least.

Bias aside that's one of the deepest forward groups in the league, our deepest since 2011, and you'd have a really hard time telling me otherwise. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Uhhh what a horrible trade. A backup you should just sign anywhere for free and a player who should be retired already for Garland the backbone of our 3rd line and a pick... This will be a colossal mistake. 

Good thing it's just a speculation piece with nothing substantive then. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Why the Suter hate?

Suter-Miller-Boeser had incredible chemistry and was well-balanced to both score and defend against other top line opponents.

I think you severely underrate the contribution of Suter to our top line last season. A big part of his role was to shutdown the opponent's top lines while playing a complementary role on that line.

Look at the top-10 ranked lines last season based on GF/60 (with at least 150 mins TOI). Suter-Miller-Boeser ranked 5th in the league at 4.99. But then check out the GA/60 of only 1.25 - the best by far in the top-10 lines below. This indicates an extremely good balance of high-end offense but also the ability to stop the opposition scoring.

This is what wins games.

I am not necessarily advocating for Suter to stay on that top line with Miller in 2024-25, since Suter is probably needed at center and we now have other options on the wing. But I just don't like to see Suter being tagged as useless in the top 6. He was a major contributor to our success last season. 

image.thumb.png.cb410cd9f807efa9e606ac7e8841c8a7.png

I don't think anyone is dogging Suter at all really. With the additions and improvements we've made along with our goal of competing for a Stanley Cup, he should only get top six minutes if there are injuries. He's valuable in the sense that he can play anywhere in the lineup, but he's been a bottom six forward for the majority of his career. 

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Here's an article that shows the value of Eller and certainly would be a good

fit on the 3rd line.  The management really wants that 3rd goalie for the

coming season; given that the #1 in prone to injuries.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsburgh-penguins-lars-eller-mike-sullivan-sidney-crosby-drew-oconnor/

Still...it could be a risky move in trading Garly.  He has been an effective player for

the team and an important personality in the locker room. 

If we trade Concrete Garden Gnome for a 3C that guy will be right shot and good at faceoffs and pk. Zero chance it’s for a lefty. So zero chance for this trade. 

5 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Why the Suter hate?

Suter-Miller-Boeser had incredible chemistry and was well-balanced to both score and defend against other top line opponents.

I think you severely underrate the contribution of Suter to our top line last season. A big part of his role was to shutdown the opponent's top lines while playing a complementary role on that line.

Look at the top-10 ranked lines last season based on GF/60 (with at least 150 mins TOI). Suter-Miller-Boeser ranked 5th in the league at 4.99. But then check out the GA/60 of only 1.25 - the best by far in the top-10 lines below. This indicates an extremely good balance of high-end offense but also the ability to stop the opposition scoring.

This is what wins games.

I am not necessarily advocating for Suter to stay on that top line with Miller in 2024-25, since Suter is probably needed at center and we now have other options on the wing. But I just don't like to see Suter being tagged as useless in the top 6. He was a major contributor to our success last season. 

image.thumb.png.cb410cd9f807efa9e606ac7e8841c8a7.png

I don't think anyone is dogging Suter at all really. With the additions and improvements we've made along with our goal of competing for a Stanley Cup, he should only get top six minutes if there are injuries. He's valuable in the sense that he can play anywhere in the lineup, but he's been a bottom six forward for the majority of his career. 

43 minutes ago, Pears said:

Bias aside that's one of the deepest forward groups in the league, our deepest since 2011, and you'd have a really hard time telling me otherwise. 

Everything is rose-coloured in September, but that’s what I’ve been saying pretty much since the Sprong signing. Same nucleus of players from last year’s strong team, but bigger, heavier, and better balanced.

This team is a force to be reckoned with. 

This Demko stuff is the only thing clouding what should be very exciting times for this organization. Training camp is going to be so much fun. Can’t wait to see how these guys mesh. Throw in the potential for appearances from Lekkerimaki, D-Petey, and possibly even Willander after the college season … plus continued development from Silovs… this is shaping up to be one hell of a season.

Oh, and keep Garland. Please and thanks.

Edited by nergish
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

True about both Garland and Suter. Suter adds pk though. Garland doesn’t. 

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Why in holy hell would we want Suter in the top 6?

When the other options are likely Sprong, and Heinen for those two spots… Suter is an upgrade.

We signed a bunch of journeymen who have never been anything but 3rd or 4th liners.  As it stands, two of them need to step up… if you think Hoglander can fill one of those roles you still need one.  Hoglander couldn’t produce at all when he got pushed up the lineup, so that is likely a worse option than any of them.

The team is still short two top six forwards and one top four D, until some cap space can be found or a prospect can produce in those roles it will be a bit of a dog’s breakfast trying to fill those spots.

Just now, Provost said:

When the other options are likely Sprong, and Heinen for those two spots… Suter is an upgrade.

We signed a bunch of journeymen who have never been anything but 3rd or 4th liners.  As it stands, two of them need to step up… if you think Hoglander can fill one of those roles you still need one.  Hoglander couldn’t produce at all when he got pushed up the lineup, so that is likely a worse option than any of them.

The team is still short two top six forwards and one top four D, until some cap space can be found or a prospect can produce in those roles it will be a bit of a dog’s breakfast trying to fill those spots.

All teams are playing some players minutes in roles that are a stretch. We have an elite core. That’s why we are great. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Folks are dogging Suter.  The guys we signed are a bunch of career 3rd and 4th liners.

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

XX-Miller-Boeser

The rest are bottom six guys.  Suter, Hoglander, Joshua, Blueger, Garland, Heinen, Sherwood, Sprong, PDG.

Of those, Suter probably has the best resume of being able to play higher in the lineup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Screw said:

That would a hard pass from me.

If goal depth is needed wait till camp cuts and pluck from waivers.

It might be hard for you to pass on this but for Alf’s Empirs it’s easy to pass. If Garland is traded it’s for cap space (used to bring in a guy we want in another deal) or directly for that other player. But we need a right shot 3C. Eller is left shot. So easy pass for me. 

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

I'd rather Hoglander and Sprong, by a lot.

• ThereItIs 1

What's with the consistent act of wanting to trade Garland. Is he overpaid? Probably by like a million, but he is a very effective play driver and an absolute gamer. He wants to win badly. I love having Garland on the team. I would say ride this contract out and try an revisit an extension for a lower Cap hit when the time comes. 

30 minutes ago, Toccfather said:

What's with the consistent act of wanting to trade Garland. Is he overpaid? Probably by like a million, but he is a very effective play driver and an absolute gamer. He wants to win badly. I love having Garland on the team. I would say ride this contract out and try a revisit an extension for a lower Cap hit when the time comes. 

Rumours around Garland swirl because of his contract and minutes he plays. He plays third line and doesn’t pk and isn’t pp guy either. Add to that he’s not a defensive centre. Yes, he’s a dynamo. But his name comes up because allocating his cap to a checking, defensive minded, right shot, 3C is an upgrade for our club’s needs. 
This trade rumour is for Eller. He’s a left shot. We don’t need that. So it’s craperolla. It’s not well thought out. 

• Like 1

If we move Garland I'd move Joshua to a top 6 and find a new third line

Joshua - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petterson - Sprong

3lrd line will be Hoglander line but we'd need to give him a running mate.

This rumor doesn't make sense though.  We don't need Nedj at 2.5 mil for next year that's terrible cap management. And I feel Eller is probably in the rumor discussion because the Pens have Crosby, Malkin, Glass, Hayes, Eller and Accari at C.

Cap wouldn't work but I'd do Garland for Accari + pick

Accari is ideal 4C

Use cap space to find a D or another third liner which if you have cap space at deadline they can be reasonable to find as rentals and not to expensive

I think the x-factor is how well do Sprong, Lek, Bains, Raty, Aman and Karlsson perform. If two of them push the envelope and show they're ready for big roles than that makes Garland expandable.