[Rumour] Garland to Pittsburgh

Also worth noting that it seems unlikely to me we will be able to resign both Hoglander and Boeser and keep Garland

One of the 3 might to go. If we wait until next off-season the return might not be favorable as if we were to move Garland out now and weaponize that 5M in cap space (more if accrued) to pick up a D and  F closer to deadline

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Also worth noting that it seems unlikely to me we will be able to resign both Hoglander and Boeser and keep Garland

One of the 3 might to go. If we wait until next off-season the return might not be favorable as if we were to move Garland out now and weaponize that 5M in cap space (more if accrued) to pick up a D and  F closer to deadline

Exactly! Move Garland for a pick/prospect. There’s zero chance this management moves him for equal cap and a left shot 3C. Makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Comparing Hoglander and Suter on the same top line in VAN last season:

image.thumb.png.fac1f5c38dd85cd4ab8b7dd71933a358.png

image.thumb.png.efb964fdb28f394886ecb01afc399db9.png

image.png

Suter doesn't hamper the offence but he has a big impact of the defensive abilities of that top line.

Ya, folks fall in love with Hoglander’s production when in the 4th line against 4th liners.

He showed nothing when moved up the lineup and was ineffective.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, folks fall in love with Hoglander’s production when in the 4th line against 4th liners.

4th line hogs that scores 15 goals is a great deal at his cap hit. I can’t imagine trading him unless we’re upgrading something significant. I don’t love him in the top 6, but he’s earned another audition in pre/start of season. those two open top 6 wing spots should have great competition to earn and keep for 82 games (and 16 post season wins).

• Vintage 1

I like Eller, but for the caphit and chemistry question mark i don’t see how or why we’d trade anyone on our roster not name poolman for him. 

We need a third string goalie who can give us some games.  unless the projected health of Demko and Arty have taken a horrible turn the last few days that management never saw coming a 1mill type guy should suffice. we don’t need to win the conference, just stay in the mix.

Garland is a luxury we can afford. His advanced stats agree with our/my eye test from last season - he tilts the ice for us. We’re not going to win much without a third line that can make a difference, so why dismantle that after re-signing DJ and Bluegs.

Dumb rumour. give away a pick when the price feels right (probably after the start of the season) with poolman and buy at the deadline if the core is healthy. next year’s cap is next summer’s problem. 

I’ve read that this proposal was from a Pens beat writer who suggested it would be Garland for Jarry (in the event Demko goes down) as cap balancing works for both clubs. 

edit- apologies, saw the first page and immediately responded and didn’t check prior posts.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If it’s Garland I’m asking for Marcus Pettersson

I like improving the D, but don't like losing Garland. Canucks have lots of wingers though, and improving the D is crucial. 

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong

Joshua - Blueger - Hoglander

Blais - Suter - Sherwood

Aman/Di Giuseppe/Bains/Karlsson/Raty

(let Lekkerimaki cook in the Abby for the season, then maybe bring him up down the stretch?)

Hughes - Hronek

Pettersson - Myers

Soucy - Desharnais

Forbort

Edited by Nucker67
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Why the Suter hate?

Suter-Miller-Boeser had incredible chemistry and was well-balanced to both score and defend against other top line opponents.

I think you severely underrate the contribution of Suter to our top line last season. A big part of his role was to shutdown the opponent's top lines while playing a complementary role on that line.

Look at the top-10 ranked lines last season based on GF/60 (with at least 150 mins TOI). Suter-Miller-Boeser ranked 5th in the league at 4.99. But then check out the GA/60 of only 1.25 - the best by far in the top-10 lines below. This indicates an extremely good balance of high-end offense but also the ability to stop the opposition scoring.

This is what wins games.

I am not necessarily advocating for Suter to stay on that top line with Miller in 2024-25, since Suter is probably needed at center and we now have other options on the wing. But I just don't like to see Suter being tagged as useless in the top 6. He was a major contributor to our success last season. 

image.thumb.png.cb410cd9f807efa9e606ac7e8841c8a7.png

Happy to see Heinen as the complementary player on the #1 ranked line. Sounds like the spot next to Miller Boeser is his. I agree Suter > Sprong/Hoglander on the top line but not necessarily Heinen. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If it’s Garland I’m asking for Marcus Pettersson

This is an excellent idea imo

Pettersson is a superb defender.  I know people love Garland but he is overpaid and overrated for a 3rd line possession player that doesn’t special team well or play a tocchet like north south physical forecheck all that well… and can be replaced with players on the current roster.  

• Confused 1
  • Wiener 1

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

I’ve read that this proposal was from a Pens beat writer who suggested it would be Garland for Jarry (in the event Demko goes down) as cap balancing works for both clubs. 

edit- apologies, saw the first page and immediately responded and didn’t check prior posts.

So basically Pens fans and media are trying to think of ways to dump Jarry. 🤣

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Well I mean he was also playing with a struggling Pettersson for nearly 300mins.

most importantly 24g for 1.1mil.

• Cheers 1

Agree with what some folks here have said already. If we're trading Garland it should be to fill a hole in our defense group on the right side. Don't think pens would move Pettersson though unless they blow it up, and they can't as long as Crosby and that expensive aging core is still there. 

Pettersson would be such a nice add for obvious reasons. But I just want to have as many Peteys as we can get...

37 minutes ago, Wing said:

Agree with what some folks here have said already. If we're trading Garland it should be to fill a hole in our defense group on the right side. Don't think pens would move Pettersson though unless they blow it up, and they can't as long as Crosby and that expensive aging core is still there. 

Pettersson would be such a nice add for obvious reasons. But I just want to have as many Peteys as we can get...

They're extending him ... not rebuilding yet ... Crosby also getting extended. Very little chance he's available.

• ThereItIs 1