What Are You Listening To? Both Kinds, Country and Western

Rob Eh

A short story about the people you meet on the road. 

In 2019 my wife and I were camped on the shore of Kluane Lake, Yukon on our way to Alaska when this lovely, very elderly walked over to talk to us. This was during the week that the police were hunting for the two teenage killers of three people in the area and she was very concerned about a tent near their motorhome that no one had been around all day. She was afraid that someone might be dead in the tent and asked me if I would go have a look.  I walked down to the tent and asked “is anyone in there?” After asking a couple of times and getting no answer I nervously bent over and was about to open the zipper and look in when a loud yell came from behind “Hey, get away from our tent!” After almost crapping my pants I explained myself to the two owners of the tent, apologized and walked back to our camp.

By the time I got back this lady had more or less moved in and we spent a couple of hours listening to her stories.  You have to understand that at 92 she was the sweetest southern belle and spoke with a drawl that would put Dolly Parton to shame!

Her name was Judy Hall and she is in the Country Music Hall of Fame as a sideman. When she was 14 she was at work in Soldatna Alaska when her friend came rushing in to tell her that Earnest Tubb was in town and was auditioning backup singers at that very moment and that she should get over there right away. She dropped everything and ran to the little hall and found other singers all well-prepared with their own sheet music and dressed in their country finest. When her turn came she began singing and after a few moments the music stopped and Earnest Tubb came over and told her she had the job. “You are a beautiful singer but Hoooweee, what’s that stink?” “It’s embalming fluid Mr Tubb, I work at a mortuary.”  He gave her $10 for a bath and new clothes and as they say, the rest is history.

She owns the Alaskan RV Park in Bowie, Arizona where she holds the Country Music Sidemen Jamboree every year since 1984. What an honour to have met her.

• Judy Hall, whose music career started at the age of 14. She has toured with Jimmy Ray Dean, Sara Vaughan, Ernest Tubb, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, George Strait, Jimmy Buffet, Hank Thompson and Tennessee Ernie Ford, among others. Today Judy can still be found singing and dancing during Sideman Jamboree.

IMG_0804.jpeg

Edited by 4petesake
Added pic
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2024 at 6:52 PM, 4petesake said:

A short story about the people you meet on the road. 

In 2019 my wife and I were camped on the shore of Kluane Lake, Yukon on our way to Alaska when this lovely, very elderly walked over to talk to us. This was during the week that the police were hunting for the two teenage killers of three people in the area and she was very concerned about a tent near their motorhome that no one had been around all day. She was afraid that someone might be dead in the tent and asked me if I would go have a look.  I walked down to the tent and asked “is anyone in there?” After asking a couple of times and getting no answer I nervously bent over and was about to open the zipper and look in when a loud yell came from behind “Hey, get away from our tent!” After almost crapping my pants I explained myself to the two owners of the tent, apologized and walked back to our camp.

By the time I got back this lady had more or less moved in and we spent a couple of hours listening to her stories.  You have to understand that at 92 she was the sweetest southern belle and spoke with a drawl that would put Dolly Parton to shame!

Her name was Judy Hall and she is in the Country Music Hall of Fame as a sideman. When she was 14 she was at work in Soldatna Alaska when her friend came rushing in to tell her that Earnest Tubb was in town and was auditioning backup singers at that very moment and that she should get over there right away. She dropped everything and ran to the little hall and found other singers all well-prepared with their own sheet music and dressed in their country finest. When her turn came she began singing and after a few moments the music stopped and Earnest Tubb came over and told her she had the job. “You are a beautiful singer but Hoooweee, what’s that stink?” “It’s embalming fluid Mr Tubb, I work at a mortuary.”  He gave her $10 for a bath and new clothes and as they say, the rest is history.

She owns the Alaskan RV Park in Bowie, Arizona where she holds the Country Music Sidemen Jamboree every year since 1984. What an honour to have met her.

• Judy Hall, whose music career started at the age of 14. She has toured with Jimmy Ray Dean, Sara Vaughan, Ernest Tubb, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, George Strait, Jimmy Buffet, Hank Thompson and Tennessee Ernie Ford, among others. Today Judy can still be found singing and dancing during Sideman Jamboree.

IMG_0804.jpeg

Thank you for sharing this lovely story and for introducing me to Judy Hall who I'd never even heard of til now! One never knows who the person they're speaking to truly is until taking the time to visit with them! What a wonderful memory to have!! ❤️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Thank you for sharing this lovely story and for introducing me to Judy Hall who I'd never even heard of til now! One never knows who the person they're speaking to truly is until taking the time to visit with them! What a wonderful memory to have!! ❤️

Honestly I had never really thought of ‘sidemen’ before meeting this beautiful soul. We were totally enthralled by her & her stories of a full, wonderful life. Imagine being a pioneer in Alaska in the dirty 30’s and then travelling the world with some of the biggest country stars of the day. And still a pistol at 92, on her second husband after the first passed away in his 80s! 

My wife who has always had an affinity with the elderly absolutely fell in love with her. 

• Like 1