[Article] Canucks: What did we really learn from the annual Young Stars tournament?

RWJC

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I heard some shop talk from the tournament having bartended right next door.  Ended up having a Canucks development coach there (name not to be revealed) the Jets assistant coach and numerous player agents.  They get talkative when they get drunk or start drinking.

The next few years will be interesting for sure for some teams in the league if anything they said is accurate.  Was apparently a good tournament by all accounts

They should have given you tickets to the games.  :hurhur:

Fun tournament, but hard to judge. Each team have vastly different prospects, and you usually don't get good line chemistry unless you have an AHL playing.

My thoughts overall:

1) D Petey is ready to compete for a roster spot. He wont make the big club, but he will definitely be chomping at the rears of the NHL'ers. I will be extremely surprised if we see him in the lineup this year (barring a string of unfortunate injuries), but I would expect to see him next year. He has the size and he looks to be there or at least close to there when it comes to strength and physicality. His poise and patience were good, he wasn't forcing too much and made good decisions. He is supposed to have been a pure DFD but is showing TWD potential. A big, strong, patient player who knows when to turn it up and even has some offensive upside. So far he may be one the best developed prospects out of our system in a while. Super excited to see his development this coming year.

2) Lekkerimaki looks good, he for sure needs another year of development. There were moments where his skill took over, but there were times where you could tell the pace of the game was hard on him. He needs a bit more strength and more practice on NA ice. I really like this kid, he has so much talent that you just cant teach. Hopefully his development goes well (I do like our developmental system ATM) and he will be ready to compete for a roster spot next year.

3) The returning/older guys all looked good. Raty looked confident and much improved, if he can at least develop into a solid 3rd line guy, it will be a big help down the line.

Bains looked like Bains. He was competitive and focused, though didn't do anything that wowed me. He should be in the line up for the big club at some point this year, though I question if he can bring something that others cant which would keep him there. Joshua finally made the next step, so there is no reason Bains cant. He has all fundamentals, hopefully he can take the next step. With Joshua out for the start of the season, Bains has a shot to be there opening night and a strong start could turn him onto a regular NHL'er. I like the guy, so here's hoping he can crack the line up this year.

4) Some of the lesser names had good showings, especially Alriksson. This YSC has reminded some people not sleep on some of these later round picks and others.

Good development has turned many lesser known guys into regular NHL players. It should be worth it to keep an eye on more than just Leki, Petey , WIlly and  other bigger names. 

Fun games, cant wait till preseason! Go Canucks Go!

On 9/17/2024 at 12:34 AM, Keslers Ghost said:

Only watched the highlights.. liked what I saw from Alriksson but don't know much about his overall game.

I have seen him play when the Storm come to town to play the Rangers.

I really like the way he plays, he's not shy about playing aggressively (not over the top aggressive). He towers over pretty much every one else on the ice so you don't have to look to hard to find him on the ice.

LET'S GO RANGERS

GO CANUCKS GO

Edited by Joe King

On 9/17/2024 at 9:12 AM, Warhippy said:

I heard some shop talk from the tournament having bartended right next door.  Ended up having a Canucks development coach there (name not to be revealed) the Jets assistant coach and numerous player agents.  They get talkative when they get drunk or start drinking.

The next few years will be interesting for sure for some teams in the league if anything they said is accurate.  Was apparently a good tournament by all accounts

Spill the beans, hippy.  We don't need to know who said what, just what was said! :towel:

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 9:12 AM, Warhippy said:

what teams? what will be interesting?