Songs that make you tear up and have a special meaning.....

The Arrogant Worms

Another about that one special one  Circumstances made it that we could never be together.  Even apart she would come over to my place.  This is the song I put on on the stereo one of the last tomes she came over....I had rose pedals making a path to the bedroom.....damn its hard writing about it stiill 30+ years later.....

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1

One last one.....maybe.  I met a woman....she was from Langley...I lived in Victoria.....we met in a Pub in Genoa Bay in Duncan.  I was working for Chews TV at the time....she worked for her Dad's company.  I didnt know they were rich when we met.  Her Dad's company built the 1st ALRT (Skytrain now).  It was very intense even though it didnt last too long.....still remember playing this song over and over......

rrggt.jpg

tg.jpg

• Huggy Bear 3

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Lost Dad on this date ,today. Sept 17.

He was the second son of an Irish woman, taken too soon from us. ALS.

This song was always in my head and I used to sing it for sound checks when I was in my band days. To the point that my band mates used to tease me as we were a hardcore band. I never knew why I was so connected to this track until the day he died. Then I knew. 

Today, my best friend called me and told me that his mom has just passed. I knew her well. For 40 years.

So today, I raise my glass of Wisers ( yes, Im a non-drinker but not on Sept 17) not just for my Dad but for my friends mum. Two little boys, we are still, missing our parents. 

RIP Sandra.

Please give a listen for my Dad and for Sandra.

That is well written from your heart  and a beautiful tribute to your dad and Sandra...  I play a Johnny Cash song on May 10th every year as  some of my 1rst memories of my Dad and I was going into their bedroom and my Dad would play Johnny Cash songs on the guitar.  I would sing along not knowing any words at 4 years old.  But it didn't matter....it was our time together..

• Huggy Bear 4

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Another about that one special one  Circumstances made it that we could never be together.  Even apart she would come over to my place.  This is the song I put on on the stereo one of the last tomes she came over....I had rose pedals making a path to the bedroom.....damn its hard writing about it stiill 30+ years later.....

This song is also on my list...

• Huggy Bear 1

Lot's of people lost their dad's in this thread..sadly I am a member of that club as well..Miss him. He passed away in July 2010. I remember a fond hockey memory..I was supposed to go meet up with my buddies at a bar downtown for the Gold Medal game but I had slept in and would have missed a chunk of it so instead I stayed home and watched it with my brother, dad and mom ..probably the only whole hockey game we all watched together as a family and I'm so glad I did..We won gold and we celebrated..I will always cherish that moment with my dad.

• Huggy Bear 4

I think it's turned into a John night.... this voice is so familiar to me....

"Let the river take away

All the words
That you and I could never say
In the silence, darling, let us pray
Let the river take it all away

Oh the river knows your name
From the Brazos to the Wabash
To the Seine
No two journeys
Are ever quite the same
But the river knows your name

Oh the river knows your name..."

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Huggy Bear 1

My cousin's husband sang this in church at the funeral of their twin boys. They lived less than a week. Watching him standing there, cradling a tiny casket holding his sons while singing this to them, ensured I could never again hear this song without instantly crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw9B49epS_M

• Huggy Bear 2

This song has accompanied me through many a long night after leavings and arrivals when love was first and foremost. Thank you, JD for a most excellent song. RIP.... if there's a Rock & Roll Heaven, they just got one hell of a songwriter and singer.

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

This song has accompanied me through many a long night after leavings and arrivals when love was first and foremost. Thank you, JD for a most excellent song. RIP.... if there's a Rock & Roll Heaven, they just got one hell of a songwriter and singer.

I play that in my guitar all the time

• Like 1

In the context of the 2019 Anti-ELAB protests in HK and the subsequent crackdown by the police, this song had me in tears when I came across it on the official concert release by the band.

Unfortunately, the concert is like 2 hours long and this is just 2 minutes or so of it, while the excerpt of the "live" show for this song has no video accompaniment (showing the backdrop behind the musicians) giving the lyrics, so I've had to choose one of the lower-quality bootleg videos instead.

The original version of the song is sung by "Ah P" (the guy you see wandering the stage with his six-stringed axe in hand), and it's nowhere close to as emotionally triggering as when she sings it. 

edit - this concert happened November 15th, 2019 - months into the Anti-ELAB protest, but also months before the police started to flex their "anti-sedition" and N(M)SL enforcement powers.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother