Canucks Preseason Camp: 14F 8D 3G remain in camp

Integra250

1 hour ago, PeteyBOI said:

its just math...

image.png.9cee7a5655865c1179f7a56ee23e101d.png

• Total accrued cap space by the trade deadline: $1,818,875
  • Cap space accrues at approximately: $37,119.90 per day after the trade deadline. (with our current lineup)

This is the full calculation and explanation in long form!

ONLY a nation filled with sociopathic lawyers could devise such BS. Then there's small print - loopholes whenever it's a bettman-buddy franchise.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PeteyBOI said:

its just math...

image.png.9cee7a5655865c1179f7a56ee23e101d.png

• Total accrued cap space by the trade deadline: $1,818,875
  • Cap space accrues at approximately: $37,119.90 per day after the trade deadline. (with our current lineup)

This is the full calculation and explanation in long form!

So when the season starts in 2 days, do Demko and Joshua on LTIR start reducing our cap hit/increasing our Cap space?

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Cut Bains today.  The next cut when Dak is ready is the toughest. 
Yes, that is what described earlier. 
Day one roster set. Pace for 2.1 ish at deadline. 
We need a ticker telling us how much has accrued.  As people get healthier and a F and G go down, starts going up. 

I feel these things got a way of figuring themselves out

Good chance someone else is hurt by the time Joshua comes back.

There's always someone on IR

50 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

So when the season starts in 2 days, do Demko and Joshua on LTIR start reducing our cap hit/increasing our Cap space?

NHL cap space math is more complicated than university calculus as far as I’m concerned! I’m glad we have smart hockey people around here to explain it. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Demko and Joshua count against our cap, but they aren't rostered players.

They are on Season Opening Injured Reserve (SOIR) not LTIR.

Their AAV counts against the cap but they don't count against our 23 man roster.

Right now we have approx 480k in cap space, when Josh and Demko come back, we will most likely waive Räty and Šilovs as they are both waiver exempt, 

Subtracting Rats and Artys cap hits will put us over 2 mill in space if everyone is healthy.

If we manage to stay healthy all year, that over 2 million will be worth almost 5 by the deadline.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Petey is such a defensively responsible center I'm not too worried about it. I would much rather see Sprong generate offense and help snap Petey out of his funk.

I'm much more worried about Heinen dragging down Miller, our highest scoring forward, and Boeser our leading goal scorer last year. 

If Peteys line lets in a few extra goals it’s not the end of the world, but if Heinen doesnt gel with Miller's line, we will see major problems.

Heinen’s scouting report reads like discount Hansen. Speed, defence, but limited hands, and he looks wiry.

I don’t see him lasting on JTs line, and suspect he will be replaced by Höglander.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Demko and Joshua count against our cap, but they aren't rostered players.

They are on Season Opening Injured Reserve (SOIR) not LTIR.

Their AAV counts against the cap but they don't count against our 23 man roster.

Right now we have approx 480k in cap space, when Josh and Demko come back, we will most likely waive Räty and Šilovs as they are both waiver exempt, 

Subtracting Rats and Artys cap hits will put us over 2 mill in space if everyone is healthy.

If we manage to stay healthy all year, that over 2 million will be worth almost 5 by the deadline.

Nice explanation but as the math goes we'd have 7.56 million in cap space at deadline if we cut 2 players. This is in theory though and not realistic.

What the actual accrued cap space will be will be a mystery.

But if I were the canucks I'd try to run a 22-men roster and try to accrue as much cap space as possible  when you can.

10 hours ago, Strawbone said:

NHL cap space math is more complicated than university calculus as far as I’m concerned! I’m glad we have smart hockey people around here to explain it. 

Lol calculus in university has phd's and brilliant minds trying to learn. 

Hockey has Jim Benning. 

8 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Why can't we keep Bains around and waive Friedman instead?? Bains is definitely good enough to be our extra forward... Forechecks hard and got skill to pop in a few goals!

generally teams keep 2 spare D 1 spare forward instead of 2 forwards and 1 D. Also, Friedman is waiver eligible and Bains is not.

1 minute ago, AK-19 said:

generally teams keep 2 spare D 1 spare forward instead of 2 forwards and 1 D. Also, Friedman is waiver eligible and Bains is not.

Ya I get that but having two extra forwards offers much greater flexibility for matchups. 

34 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

Hockey has Jim Benning. 

I unabashedly loved single variable calculus. Great fun. 
Multivariable not so much. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

Hockey has Jim Benning. 

Actually, it doesn't. Isn't Benning unemployed since he was dismissed? Jim is a good bad example of cap "management". 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

Hockey has Jim Benning. 

Jim Benning’s calculus was “I ran out of time”. What a difference our management team makes.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Why can't we keep Bains around and waive Friedman instead?? Bains is definitely good enough to be our extra forward... Forechecks hard and got skill to pop in a few goals!

I would rather have Bains play top minutes in the AHL and round out his game than to sit in the press box. Bains will be a regular next year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Can't wait for the season to get started.  This is the deepest team we've ever had, better than 1993-5 and 2010-2, and more high-end talent too.  Maybe we make it to the top and maybe we don't but this is going to be worth watching!

I think forward wise this is as deep a group as can remember and possibly the best collection of forwards I remember to start the year. 
‘I still think we lack a number 3 D. Feel like we have two 4-5s and a bunch of 6-7s behind possibly the best d-pairing in the league.

G looks good too. With Demko as starter need depth and some veteran G and Lankinen and Patera give us some experience along with the youth of Silovs and Tolipoli.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I think forward wise this is as deep a group as can remember and possibly the best collection of forwards I remember to start the year. 
‘I still think we lack a number 3 D. Feel like we have two 4-5s and a bunch of 6-7s behind possibly the best d-pairing in the league.

G looks good too. With Demko as starter need depth and some veteran G and Lankinen and Patera give us some experience along with the youth of Silovs and Tolipoli.

Agreed.  I'd like another LD in the 3-4 range and expect we'll accrue cap space and get one around the deadline.  But at least we can cover injuries until then with what we've got, especially since getting Brannstrom.