Canucks Preseason Camp: 14F 8D 3G remain in camp

Integra250

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I unabashedly loved single variable calculus. Great fun. 
Multivariable not so much. 

Multivariable really is just a set of rules for various scenarios to treat equations as single variable, with other variables treated as constants. Then apply the rules for each unique variable.

In the 3D world, for example, you generally have three independent variables that you treat as a vector. Doing the partial derivative of each (which holds the other two constant) can be viewed as working in the direction of a single axis keeping the value of the other two axes constant. This can of course be extended to higher dimensions. It just means repeating steps of the same process for another variable. Tedious, but fundamentally not much more difficult than single variable calculus (you've got the tough part already).

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • chaos 1

20 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Was there ever any doubt that fellow Scandanavian Alvin would choose A-2 🐀2 (a Finn) over Bains - who outplayed him in the preseason (and exactly why I predicted 2 weeks ago that Bains would not make the team)?  I wish A-2 🐀2 good luck and hope Bains gets a chance soon and is not left to rot in Abby.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think forward wise this is as deep a group as can remember and possibly the best collection of forwards I remember to start the year. 
‘I still think we lack a number 3 D. Feel like we have two 4-5s and a bunch of 6-7s behind possibly the best d-pairing in the league.

G looks good too. With Demko as starter need depth and some veteran G and Lankinen and Patera give us some experience along with the youth of Silovs and Tolipoli.

Well... consider ourselves very lucky to have a pure offensive talent like Sprong on a cheap contract.... basically getting a faster Kuzmenko with equaly suss defensive awareness but at a fraction of the cost for ONE season.... the Nucks finally got some luck finding good bargains in FA!!

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Was there ever any doubt that fellow countryman Alvin would choose A-2 🐀2 (a swede) over Bains - who outplayed him in the preseason (and exactly why I predicted 2 weeks ago that Bains would not make the team)?  I wish A-2 🐀2 good luck and hope Bains gets a chance soon and is not left to rot in Abby.

I have high hopes for Bains as well.  Aman is waiver eligible and a center. Raty is a center.  Those two things were deciding factors.

Yes, Bains will get a chance soon.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RedWooster said:

Raty is from Finland, not Sweden......

Same thing (a Finn is the same thing as a swede except a Finn comes with a personality)!!!     .........but thanks, I've edited it to be more precise for "Some"!  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Multivariable really is just a set of rules for various scenarios to treat equations as single variable, with other variables treated as constants. Then apply the rules for each unique variable.

In the 3D world, for example, you generally have three independent variables that you treat as a vector. Doing the partial derivative of each (which holds the other two constant) can be viewed as working in the direction of a single axis keeping the value of the other two axes constant. This can of course be extended to higher dimensions. It just means repeating steps of the same process for another variable. Tedious, but fundamentally not much more difficult than single variable calculus (you've got the tough part already).

You're gonna give me nightmares of my engineering math courses with that kind of talk!  :frantic:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Forbort has been getting some flack, maybe because he's older and not the fastest guy, but he had my vote when he dropped the gloves against Nurse in that preseason game, after that dirty targeted hit against Sherwood. I thought Forbort played a good game and I believe our D will be solid and steady this season. Not to mention physical and nasty, with the additions of Forbort and Desharnais. 

Canucks will be a very tough team to beat this year.  I think they have a better roster, and can't say enough about Tocchet and the coaching staff. They'll have the players ready every game. 

I get it, he’s never proven to be above a 5th-6th defenceman before really.

But he is good on the PK has size, reach and Toughness!

We have a top notch coaching staff to guide him playing on our bottom pairing me thinks.

This team needed some toughness and size and have it now on the back end.

Edited by Bretzky

40 minutes ago, Bretzky said:

I get it, he’s never proven to be above a 5th-6th defenceman before really.

But he is good on the PK has size, reach and Toughness!

We have a top notch coaching staff to guide him playing on our bottom pairing me thinks.

This team needed some toughness and size and have it now on the back end.

I don't mind Forbort on his own as a bottom pair D. I'm a bit concerned about mobility and puck moving on that pair with Desharnais though. Either guy on their own is decent on the bottom pair, but together is a question mark for me. We'll see how it plays out though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Was there ever any doubt that fellow Scandanavian Alvin would choose A-2 🐀2 (a Finn) over Bains - who outplayed him in the preseason (and exactly why I predicted 2 weeks ago that Bains would not make the team)?  I wish A-2 🐀2 good luck and hope Bains gets a chance soon and is not left to rot in Abby.

im going a step further and imagining Räty becoming a cheap young Horvat playing C2

while Tocchet re-unites the Lotto Line

13 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Another trade? Or is management trying to gain as much cap space as possible for the trade deadline?

They are trying to bank as much cap space as possible.  We are finally out of LTIR permanently.  Now, we will work on having as much cap space as possible for the trade deadline so we can add a player or two without having to give up players in return...

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I don't mind Forbort on his own as a bottom pair D. I'm a bit concerned about mobility and puck moving on that pair with Desharnais though. Either guy on their own is decent on the bottom pair, but together is a question mark for me. We'll see how it plays out though.

Hopefully having 2 big tough to play against defencemen paired together bottom 6 they will have to just get it out mainly.

Make it hard inside and chip and dump it up the boards unless they have a better opportunity.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Forbort has been getting some flack, maybe because he's older and not the fastest guy, but he had my vote when he dropped the gloves against Nurse in that preseason game, after that dirty targeted hit against Sherwood. I thought Forbort played a good game and I believe our D will be solid and steady this season. Not to mention physical and nasty, with the additions of Forbort and Desharnais. 

Canucks will be a very tough team to beat this year.  I think they have a better roster, and can't say enough about Tocchet and the coaching staff. They'll have the players ready every game. 

Forbort and Desharnais are easy whipping boy targets. I've been saying for a while that Forbort is a younger and still-experienced version of Cole. He's got more juice in the tank than Cole. Desharnais' size and experience are his liabilities, so it's easy to zero in on those. He should only get better as the season evolves in this system with the coaching staff. We just need to be patient and not forsake the things that are done right.

Like you, though, I like what they bring in the  physical and nasty, harder to play against aspect of their games. Desharnais  wasn't afraid to mix it up with his old team. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are trying to bank as much cap space as possible.  We are finally out of LTIR permanently.  Now, we will work on having as much cap space as possible for the trade deadline so we can add a player or two without having to give up players in return...

Kinda need 8 NHL D no?

I thought Friedman had a solid camp. I don’t like losing defensive depth right now.

Kinda wonder if something else is in the works. Maybe they saw someone on waivers they like? Maybe a last minute signing (Schultz/Shattenkirk)?

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BB6's contract is up this year, so they need room to resign him, plus the O.E.L. "Retained Salary claw-back" Jumps to almost $5M after this year and they have 7 other contracts up for renewal after this season (not incl BB6), so they are still in trouble for next year unless they unload another bunch of players after this season unless the salary cap jumps considerably.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My guess is that our current Defense is an experiment; will Desharnius rise to the occasion? Can Soucy consistently play Top 4 minutes? Will Myers unleash a nit more offense playing will Soucy FT??

Give them the minutes to prove themselves...if not, jump in the trade pool in Dec or Jan to fill that top 4 spot. I am predicting a Hronek type of trade (guy with a couple years of team control on a good salary).

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Raty is a C + LW and has proven that he can play on the 3rd line.  He will stay with the team until Joshua

returns, at which time he will be sent down to Abby.  He will likely become the permanent 3C for next season

and have lots of callups during this season.  His flexibility and experience /success at high levels of hockey;

Liiga, WJs, AHL gives him an edge over Bains at the moment.

Bains is a LW trying to join a team with an abundance of LWs.  He had a great preseason and has proven

that he can make the NHL.  I consider him as one of the 3 prospects most likely to have a permanent role

on the Canucks next season (Raty, Bains, Lekker).  I think Bains will get some injury callups this season

as well.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kinda need 8 NHL D no?

I thought Friedman had a solid camp. I don’t like losing defensive depth right now.

Kinda wonder if something else is in the works. Maybe they saw someone on waivers they like? Maybe a last minute signing (Schultz/Shattenkirk)?

I bet Friedman clears....Brannstrom is added depth/prospect in AHL now. 

I am not worried about depth; I am worried about our 2nd pair being able to rise to the occasion all year.

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

I bet Friedman clears....Brannstrom is added depth/prospect in AHL now. 

I am not worried about depth; I am worried about our 2nd pair being able to rise to the occasion all year.

Well that could be part of the equation.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with someone like Shattenkirk as depth kind of like Cole last season.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

My guess is that our current Defense is an experiment; will Desharnius rise to the occasion? Can Soucy consistently play Top 4 minutes? Will Myers unleash a nit more offense playing will Soucy FT??

Give them the minutes to prove themselves...if not, jump in the trade pool in Dec or Jan to fill that top 4 spot. I am predicting a Hronek type of trade (guy with a couple years of team control on a good salary).

If we bank enough cap space we can definitely go after a top 4 Dman for the playoff cup run.  We got Zadorov last year for 2 draft picks, we can do the same this year.  We can get a rental or we can make another Hronek type deal and trade our 2025 1st round pick...

• Cheers 2