Canucks Preseason Camp: 14F 8D 3G remain in camp

Integra250

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

My guess is that our current Defense is an experiment; will Desharnius rise to the occasion? Can Soucy consistently play Top 4 minutes? Will Myers unleash a nit more offense playing will Soucy FT??

Give them the minutes to prove themselves...if not, jump in the trade pool in Dec or Jan to fill that top 4 spot. I am predicting a Hronek type of trade (guy with a couple years of team control on a good salary).

I can see management getting Pettersson on the Penguins. At 50% retained, so they can have some additional cap space for a right handed defencemen or forward.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Raty is a C + LW and has proven that he can play on the 3rd line.  He will stay with the team until Joshua

returns, at which time he will be sent down to Abby.  He will likely become the permanent 3C for next season

and have lots of callups during this season.  His flexibility and experience /success at high levels of hockey;

Liiga, WJs, AHL gives him an edge over Bains at the moment.

Bains is a LW trying to join a team with an abundance of LWs.  He had a great preseason and has proven

that he can make the NHL.  I consider him as one of the 3 prospects most likely to have a permanent role

on the Canucks next season (Raty, Bains, Lekker).  I think Bains will get some injury callups this season

as well.

Raty hopefully is the longterm answer at 3C. IF he performs there, he will stay even when Joshua comes back. Whomever is not performing at that time will sit in the box. Aman is a borderline NHL guy; its not a given he gets picked up on Waivers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I bet Friedman clears....Brannstrom is added depth/prospect in AHL now. 

I am not worried about depth; I am worried about our 2nd pair being able to rise to the occasion all year.

Very good point.  Without 11-6 performing to his salary level, we'll be hard pressed to have enough to push thru.  Hopefully he can be consistent throughout the entire season because the 1st line can't be relied upon to carry most of the weight even with assistance from the 3rd line.   

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that could be part of the equation.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with someone like Shattenkirk as depth kind of like Cole last season.

I'd rather the team make a trade for a longterm 2nd pair answer vs. just more insurance guys. Does Shattenkirk on a 1yr deal playing 3rd pair minutes give us more than Forbort?

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I can see management getting Pettersson on the Penguins. At 50% retained, so they can have some additional cap space for a right handed defencemen or forward.

Anybody take a look at the Pens current depth chart…

They have Crosby lining up with Beauvillier and O’Connor and Malkin lining up with Rakell and Bunting.

They are in desperate need of help on the wing.

• Cheers 2

I wonder, could Bains one day be the next Burrows?  (well, maybe Burrows-lite) 

He's undrafted, and has had to work his butt off at every level. His latest showing with the Canucks, he was one of the hardest working guys out there every shift. Sure, he was trying to get a job with the big club, but I don't think that would change if he made it. He's got skill, work ethic and seems to be a very smart player. 

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

I'd rather the team make a trade for a longterm 2nd pair answer vs. just more insurance guys. Does Shattenkirk on a 1yr deal playing 3rd pair minutes give us more than Forbort?

You can have both though.

Right now we don’t have the cap space to upgrade the 2nd pair.

In the meantime an insurance guy that has experience playing top 4 is a smart move.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

BB6's contract is up this year, so they need room to resign him, plus the O.E.L. "Retained Salary claw-back" Jumps to almost $5M after this year and they have 7 other contracts up for renewal after this season (not incl BB6), so they are still in trouble for next year unless they unload another bunch of players after this season unless the salary cap jumps considerably.

Cap is going up $4.5 million next season.  That will give us $15 million in cap space to re-sign BB6 ($8 million), plus another $7 million to get another top 4 Dman.  The rest of the roster will be filled with cheap contracts, Raty, Lekkerimaki, Willander...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we bank enough cap space we can definitely go after a top 4 Dman for the playoff cup run.  We got Zadorov last year for 2 draft picks, we can do the same this year.  We can get a rental or we can make another Hronek type deal and trade our 2025 1st round pick...

Hronek type deal please. PA has done a fabulous job at building depth and prospects...and Lekkermaki is the next Top end guy to get the chance next year. If you resign Beoser, you can kick the ball down the road a bit, making a 2025 1st rounder not required. Fixing the 2nd pair should be the priority; team would be stacked at that point (assuming Demko and Joshua come back full go).

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kinda need 8 NHL D no?

I thought Friedman had a solid camp. I don’t like losing defensive depth right now.

Kinda wonder if something else is in the works. Maybe they saw someone on waivers they like? Maybe a last minute signing (Schultz/Shattenkirk)?

Pretty sure Friedman is going to clear waivers.  Worst case is we have Brannstrom in the AHL to replace him...

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Would Petterson be a huge improvement on Soucy? Not being an ass, simply do not know....

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure Friedman is going to clear waivers.  Worst case is we have Brannstrom in the AHL to replace him...

Wasn’t liking our depth to begin with so hopefully we don’t lose him.

I liked Friedmans game more than Juulsen.

• Cheers 1

Hronek type deal please. PA has done a fabulous job at building depth and prospects...and Lekkermaki is the next Top end guy to get the chance next year. If you resign Beoser, you can kick the ball down the road a bit, making a 2025 1st rounder not required. Fixing the 2nd pair should be the priority; team would be stacked at that point (assuming Demko and Joshua come back full go).

I wanted Broberg.  I would have been totally happy paying him $4.6 million.  He's gonna be a stud.  Swedish too.  We missed the boat on that.  It would have only cost us a 2nd round pick...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we bank enough cap space we can definitely go after a top 4 Dman for the playoff cup run.  We got Zadorov last year for 2 draft picks, we can do the same this year.  We can get a rental or we can make another Hronek type deal and trade our 2025 1st round pick...

We have to be careful throwing away draft picks and our future just for rentals and short term hope.    When JR arrived here he specifically stated that "HE would not give up draft Picks like the previous administration" and the opposite has happened as both he and Alvin have thrown away numerous picks (most of them top picks) with very few working out.   That's why our farm team is plugged solid with 3rd and 4th liners and no A-1 quality rookies.   

• Cheers 1

Reading between the lines a bit, I like the confidence this team is showing going into the season.

Zero rush to get Demko back.  Letting Suter and Garland work out some lumps.  Letting Miller take some games off.

Theres always the chance it blows up in their face if they stumble hard out of the gate.

However, I appreciate the process of making the playoffs an expectation and playing the long game with letting everyone pace themselves and get healthy.  We haven’t looked sloppy in camp or in preseason at all - so it seems like a good approach.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I wonder, could Bains one day be the next Burrows?  (well, maybe Burrows-lite) 

He's undrafted, and has had to work his butt off at every level. His latest showing with the Canucks, he was one of the hardest working guys out there every shift. Sure, he was trying to get a job with the big club, but I don't think that would change if he made it. He's got skill, work ethic and seems to be a very smart player. 

I like Bains, but we saw the same last year, and he had a hard time replicating the magic during the real season. My guess he will remain as depth this year, and compete for a spot in camp once the likes of Suter and co are gone.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You can have both though.

Right now we don’t have the cap space to upgrade the 2nd pair.

In the meantime an insurance guy that has experience playing top 4 is a smart move.

I'd rather roll with what we have, then have that space available to make a trade down the road if teh opportunity presents itself.

IF our bottom pairs are doing terrible, then bring in a guy like Shattenkirk until a better option opens up.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wanted Broberg.  I would have been totally happy paying him $4.6 million.  He's gonna be a stud.  Swedish too.  We missed the boat on that.  It would have only cost us a 2nd round pick...

Me too! Would have huge long term upgrade to the team in my opinion. Probably could have got him for less too...Oilers weren't even willing to match Holloway at 2.5m.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We have to be careful throwing away draft picks and our future just for rentals and short term hope.    When JR arrived here he specifically stated that "HE would not give up draft Picks like the previous administration" and the opposite has happened as both he and Alvin have thrown away numerous picks (most of them top picks) with very few working out.   That's why our farm team is plugged solid with 3rd and 4th liners and no A-1 quality rookies.   

Agree, but we are talking about a Hronek type deal, NOT a true rental. Pay a little more to get a guy with team control on a good salary for a couple years

• Cheers 1

I'd rather roll with what we have, then have that space available to make a trade down the road if teh opportunity presents itself.

IF our bottom pairs are doing terrible, then bring in a guy like Shattenkirk until a better option opens up.

What we have isn’t enough.

You can’t carry 7 D it doesn’t work. Injuries will happen and you’re not always going to be close to the farm team.

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Was there ever any doubt that fellow Scandanavian Alvin would choose A-2 🐀2 (a Finn) over Bains - who outplayed him in the preseason (and exactly why I predicted 2 weeks ago that Bains would not make the team)?  I wish A-2 🐀2 good luck and hope Bains gets a chance soon and is not left to rot in Abby.

Bains is winger and Raty can do wing or center which makes him more valuable.

5 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Bains is winger and Raty can do wing or center which makes him more valuable.

Yep.

Always value centers more. They can always be moved to wing whereas a winger can’t play center (effectively)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Would Petterson be a huge improvement on Soucy? Not being an ass, simply do not know....

Marcus Pettersson is a top 4 Dman, logs over 22 minutes a night.  Yes, he is a massive upgrade on Soucy IMO.  He could be a guy we go after in the summer.  Would really screw John Shorthouse though.  He may need to retire...   😊

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Ya he’s a great defencemen and this would give us the perfect depth going into the playoffs on the left side defence.

Hughes

Pettersson

Soucy 

Forbort

A long way until the trade deadline though and a lot can happen between now and then.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Let's cross fingers pens get off to a poor start and forces Dubass hand to trade Petterson. If they're around the playoffs I doubt they'll trade him. Sid only has so much left in the tank

• Cheers 1