Canucks Preseason Camp: 15F 8D 3G remain in camp

Integra250

Cole played like a hero early last year while the rest of the team stabilized.  He faded a lot as the year went on, though - ending up with less TOI than Myers.

Zadorov helped fill in for Soucy but didn’t bring his best until the playoffs. 

They’re both better puck movers than Forbort / Desharnais but I’m genuinely curious what the drop off, if any, is going to be.  

On paper it isn’t that much of a step back - Forbort and Desharnais both played solid 3rd pair min on good defensive teams (can’t believe I’m saying that about Edmonton) but I get why people are concerned.  They need the forwards to really support them getting the puck out. 

2 minutes ago, Vanux said:

I have hopes for deharnais with this coaching staff and system. Late bloomer, which I think will steadily progress as the season goes on

Exactly! These coaches took an iffy NHLer on Zadorov and made him a top four D man. They will certainly do the same with Deharnais. 
Zadoriv sucks pucks! You lose Boston. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Soucy Myers were our 2nd pairing last year and 2nd most trusted by Tocc

reg season

image.thumb.png.68b20ab13eeb11d05119927cdccbb4d0.png

Playoffs

image.thumb.png.d91e313e062ea805ac0643f9e4c019ce.png

I would say they did pretty good especially when you consider they were getting all the hard matchups. Best on ice goals % of any canuck pairing in the playoffs.   

I thought they were 3rd pairing? 

Pretty sure come Zadorov was 2nd pairing no? It was especially evident in the playoffs that Zadorov was above Myers on the depth chart? 

They did have the best goals for per 60 but also worst against. 

I like Soucy a lot, I thought he was extremely smart and reliable in the playoffs.  A pairing of him and Myers is just fine.  If we remember, before Zadorov came in we had a top team in the west with Hughes, Hronek, Cole, Soucy, Myers, Juulsen, and Soucy missed half of the year and Zadorov and Friedman were brought in.

So we have exchanged half a year with Soucy, Cole, and half a year with Zadorov for a full year with Soucy, Desharnais, and Forbort.  Our coaching staff played Soucy more than Zadorov. I think it's pretty much a wash and I am very glad we didn't pay big dollars for a 30 year old guy, Zadorov, who has never been a top 3 dman on any team has played on.

Now let's see if Foote and Gonchar can get the best of these guys.

37 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Pretty sure come Zadorov was 2nd pairing no? It was especially evident in the playoffs that Zadorov was above Myers on the depth chart? 

Z was third pairing most of the season.  Myers had more ice time in a consistent basis. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Except in the playoffs when it mattered the most

In the playoffs when it mattered the most, Myers and Soucy shut down the greatest player of our generation and rendered him useless for 5 of the 6 games they played against him. It’s not a coincidence he did well the game Soucy was suspended. 

They were a terrific shutdown pair. Forsberg, Josi, McDavid.. none of them were effective against Myers and Soucy. They’re a legit 2nd pair on a contender. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, The Duke said:

Cole played like a hero early last year while the rest of the team stabilized.  He faded a lot as the year went on, though - ending up with less TOI than Myers.

They’re both better puck movers than Forbort / Desharnais but I’m genuinely curious what the drop off, if any, is going to be.  

On paper it isn’t that much of a step back - Forbort and Desharnais both played solid 3rd pair min on good defensive teams (can’t believe I’m saying that about Edmonton) but I get why people are concerned.  They need the forwards to really support them getting the puck out. 

The Oilers get Nurse into a game in Seattle and is a -3. Yikes! Losing Desharnais might hurt them more than one would think. I really think he came to the Canucks because of our d-side coaching. As established NHL PK'ers I expect Forbort/Desharnais to be a big physical pairing who will do very well. I also expect the Soucy/Meyers combo could easily surpass last year's offencive stats. Soucy missed a lot of games and Meyers might carry the puck up ice more. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, The Duke said:

I'm ok with with Forbot, I think.  We've seen plenty of Desharnais to know what he brings to the table and it's not much, imo.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Oilers get Nurse into a game in Seattle and is a -3. Yikes! Losing Desharnais might hurt them more than one would think. I really think he came to the Canucks because of our d-side coaching. As established NHL PK'ers I expect Forbort/Desharnais to be a big physical pairing who will do very well. I also expect the Soucy/Meyers combo could easily surpass last year's offencive stats. Soucy missed a lot of games and Meyers might carry the puck up ice more. 

Yeah, and when you compare the start of this year to the start of last year I don’t see any reason to be concerned.  

We’re stronger, besides not having Demko of course.

Plus the team has experience playing the way Tocchet wants and some better chemistry for Hughes/Hronek and Soucy/Myers.  It could very well be a better year - though it’ll be hard to match last year’s hot start.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Zadorov has been 3rd pair his whole career.  He is well liked and uses his size very well and everybody likes that but when it comes down to it, $5M is way too much and Allvin made the right call

12 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

If I were a Bruins fan, I’d be more concerned about the Lindholm deal.

They both absolutely suck, it's debatable which is worse. Lindholm may get points playing first line with Pasternak but I think his offensive upside at this point is very nil. Zadorov kind of sucks to begin with and he'll fall off a cliff on this deal. I see this deal as being just rotten as early as say ... Oct 20th by the time they're running him out of Beantown! :frantic: 🤣

Vibing Loving It GIF by BRIT Awards

15 hours ago, The Duke said:

Management, imo, did a good job of mitigating how far the drop off would be with these signings. I don't think it'll be as much as some are concerned about but there is legit concern about getting the puck out. 

I actually think Forbort was a good replacement for Cole in experience and I'd also say he still has more juice left at 32. 

It's still early with Desharnais, and people here understood that he was brought in because our coaching staff believes they can work with him and that he'll only get better under Foote and Gonchar during the season, which hasn't even happened yet. We're seeing his liabilities at this early stage that we KNEW would be there at this stage. 

If the focus this season is on sustainability and consistency in the second half, Desharnais' trajectory - hopefully - should align with the evolution of the season and we should see a better player as the season progresses. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I love Suter as a player but I see his $1.6 million being the easiest to move out of any of our expendable pieces. He could easily fill in the Haula role for another team (1LW/3C) for a team short on depth, and his cap hit isn't insurmountable to make that work. I wonder if Ottawa would take him as a 3LW to push Gregor out of the top 9?

• Like 1