Canucks Preseason Camp: 15F 8D 3G remain in camp

Integra250

1 hour ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I love Suter as a player but I see his $1.6 million being the easiest to move out of any of our expendable pieces. He could easily fill in the Haula role for another team (1LW/3C) for a team short on depth, and his cap hit isn't insurmountable to make that work. I wonder if Ottawa would take him as a 3LW to push Gregor out of the top 9?

I’d rather keep him in case injuries hit. He can play anywhere in the lineup. Those players are really imprtant to have.

Just find a way to move Poolmans contract. That needs to be the goal.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm ok with with Forbot, I think.  We've seen plenty of Desharnais to know what he brings to the table and it's not much, imo.

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Management, imo, did a good job of mitigating how far the drop off would be with these signings. I don't think it'll be as much as some are concerned about but there is legit concern about getting the puck out. 

I actually think Forbort was a good replacement for Cole in experience and I'd also say he still has more juice left at 32. 

It's still early with Desharnais, and people here understood that he was brought in because our coaching staff believes they can work with him and that he'll only get better under Foote and Gonchar during the season, which hasn't even happened yet. We're seeing his liabilities at this early stage that we KNEW would be there at this stage. 

If the focus this season is on sustainability and consistency in the second half, Desharnais' trajectory - hopefully - should align with the evolution of the season and we should see a better player as the season progresses. 

This is pretty much how I see it as well.  Given Cole signed for 400 k less the cost of both of these guys it’s a pretty good job of mitigating the inevitable step back of losing him and Zadorov.

Forbort at 1.5 mil to play bottom pair / PK is a nice deal - and one year makes it pretty darn safe.  

Desharnais at 2x2 was a bit of a head scratcher since we have Juulsen and Friedman already.  But it’s also intriguing, based on how he was targeted by our club. I really want to see if there’s something there.  I agree we need to give him (and Forbort too) a little time to settle in.

Both contracts could be absolute steals this season.  And I just love the size we deploy on a nightly basis. Finally, if it improves the PK that might offset the step back, if any, we’ll see 5 on 5.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Captain Hughes said:

So after last night who makes the team. Bains or Raty? 

I've really liked both their games, but at the same time, can't shake the feeling that they still both need a bit more time to round out their games. 

Raty struggled to really drive much last night, didn't do as well in the FO, and missed his assignment on the goal.

Bains I thought was a 'can't drop' half way through the game, but then made some questionable decisions in the second half with some bad plays against the Oilers top lines which brought the questions back. Toch actually calls this out in his presser and said they were mistakes that could be rectified with more playing time. 

So I think if Suter, Blueger, and Aman are all fit then Raty goes down, I kinda think Bains stays as I feel if he can get that consistency and game management he can really add something in terms of his offensive vision and guile.  Ultimately I think we see a lot of both of them this season, they are waiver-exempt still so I'm not sure it makes sense to risk losing Aman over getting them more game time on the farm on the total showings this preseason. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've really liked both their games, but at the same time, can't shake the feeling that they still both need a bit more time to round out their games. 

Raty struggled to really drive much last night, didn't do as well in the FO, and missed his assignment on the goal.

Bains I thought was a 'can't drop' half way through the game, but then made some questionable decisions in the second half with some bad plays against the Oilers top lines which brought the questions back. Toch actually calls this out in his presser and said they were mistakes that could be rectified with more playing time. 

So I think if Suter, Blueger, and Aman are all fit then Raty goes down, I kinda think Bains stays as I feel if he can get that consistency and game management he can really add something in terms of his offensive vision and guile.  Ultimately I think we see a lot of both of them this season, they are waiver-exempt still so I'm not sure it makes sense to risk losing Aman over getting them more game time on the farm on the total showings this preseason. 

Great points and I was thinking the same thing last night. Plus Åman isn't flashy but he plays safe smart low event hockey which Tocc loves and honestly that's what you want from your 13th forward.

Also like you said, I'd rather Åman sitting in the press box than Räty or Bains who would be better off playing in Abby to start.

Hopefully Garland isn't injured.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, RabidRooster said:

I Hope Boeser scores 40 or more goals this season. Then you will not hear me whining about how the rest of his game is subpar nhl.

Boeser has great vision, is an amazing passer, and has underrated board play. On top of his lethal shot.

He is slow though, but his hockey IQ makes up for it.

Being not the fleetest of foot does not make you subpar NHL. Usually players with his skillset have good longevity in the league as well.

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, The Duke said:

This is pretty much how I see it as well.  Given Cole signed for 400 k less the cost of both of these guys it’s a pretty good job of mitigating the inevitable step back of losing him and Zadorov.

Forbort at 1.5 mil to play bottom pair / PK is a nice deal - and one year makes it pretty darn safe.  

Desharnais at 2x2 was a bit of a head scratcher since we have Juulsen and Friedman already.  But it’s also intriguing, based on how he was targeted by our club. I really want to see if there’s something there.  I agree we need to give him (and Forbort too) a little time to settle in.

Both contracts could be absolute steals this season.  And I just love the size we deploy on a nightly basis. Finally, if it improves the PK that might offset the step back, if any, we’ll see 5 on 5.

I also thought Desharnais was pretty effective against us for the Oilers. Good PKer 

• Cheers 1

On 10/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Management, imo, did a good job of mitigating how far the drop off would be with these signings. I don't think it'll be as much as some are concerned about but there is legit concern about getting the puck out. 

I actually think Forbort was a good replacement for Cole in experience and I'd also say he still has more juice left at 32. 

It's still early with Desharnais, and people here understood that he was brought in because our coaching staff believes they can work with him and that he'll only get better under Foote and Gonchar during the season, which hasn't even happened yet. We're seeing his liabilities at this early stage that we KNEW would be there at this stage. 

If the focus this season is on sustainability and consistency in the second half, Desharnais' trajectory - hopefully - should align with the evolution of the season and we should see a better player as the season progresses. 

Absolutely, just like all the D, especially Zadorov improved under Foote and Gonchar last year, Forbort and Desharnais will improve also.  Foote and Gonchar were both that kind of player (ie big) and they knew how to use their size.  They also know how to teach guys to use their size.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Absolutely, just like all the D, especially Zadorov improved under Foote and Gonchar last year, Forbort and Desharnais will improve also.  Foote and Gonchar were both that kind of player (ie big) and they knew how to use their size.  They also know how to teach guys to use their size.

Agree. Good points. Just need to give them time. Seeing good things from Forbort already.

3 hours ago, Captain Hughes said:

So after last night who makes the team. Bains or Raty? 

Just my two cents: Bains worked his absolute hardest to impress us with what we saw in camp. Raty has always been impressive and has a much broader set of skills and now, after a lot of work last year and this summer, he has the skating to go with all the other good traits he has. I feel bains best is Raty's average and so my nod goes to Raty, for that reason and because his upside appears to be a higher ceiling than Bains. Of course, both while we have injuries to players higher up in the lineup. 

• Like 2

• Optimist Prime changed the title to Canucks Preseason Camp: 15F 8D 3G remain in camp
1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Amazing how we’ve come this far to be able to shuffle the bottom six to replace Suter, Joshua and Gnarly and still be good!

Blueger is underrated…it seems. 

And I don’t have a problem starting the season with those 6 defencemen. 
Our top pair is one of the best in the league, if not the best, and the other 4 are BIG! This team needed size and grit and it’s got it now on the back end.

The PK will improve too this year it looks like…size and reach where needed!

I put my trust in Gonchar and Foote!

Our coaching staff is Top Notch!!

Edited by Bretzky

19 hours ago, RabidRooster said:

I Hope Boeser scores 40 or more goals this season. Then you will not hear me whining about how the rest of his game is subpar nhl.

whose this subpar boeser you speak of? his forcheck is great and hes really been one of our better players defensively... hence him playing on the checking line with miller...

200.gif

29 minutes ago, CaptainQuin said:

I think our best defensive Dman last night was Hronek .

really impressed me on the PK and how aggressive defensively he played 

Yeah, he played good!

Looks like him and Hughes can be the best pair in the league this year….fingers crossed.

• Cheers 1