Canucks Preseason Camp: 15F 9D 3G remain in camp

Integra250

I don't think there's any way we can start the season without LTIR

If Demko, Joshua, and Poolman start on IR their cap counts. 

Only way to do it is by starting with 21 healthy skater + the 3 guys above on the IR. You can send Raty/Bains down to start the season and you put Aman in and start with 12 F

Bur for D you've had to waive either Juulsen or Friedman. I don't think we can afford to lose either or at this time.

Tough decision what do yoh value more. Not starting off season with LTIR or losing one of Friedman/Juulsen?

Once season starts it's no issue going into LTIR and it's all retroactive. But if we finalize the off-season roster with LTIR than it's not prorated. 

1 hour ago, Lewlowned said:

Tocchet Presser:

Miller presser, where he says he was dealing with something minor and just didn’t want to take any risks:

Interesting that after talking about PDG and Tocc saying it'll be tough putting someone else on waivers Tocc said "unless something gets done and it's in the works"

I think PA/JR are working like crazy to trade Poolman most likely. That way we maintain flex by not going in IR and don't have to waive one of Friedman/Juulsen

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, bh90 said:

Only way to do it is by starting with 21 healthy skater + the 3 guys above on the IR. You can send Raty/Bains down to start the season and you put Aman in and start with 12 F

Bur for D you've had to waive either Juulsen or Friedman. I don't think we can afford to lose either or at this time.

Tough decision what do yoh value more. Not starting off season with LTIR or losing one of Friedman/Juulsen?

Once season starts it's no issue going into LTIR and it's all retroactive. But if we finalize the off-season roster with LTIR than it's not prorated. 

Poolman contract is such a pain

2 hours ago, bh90 said:

I think Friedman will get waived

Otherwise we'd be carrying 8D which is too many. 

Hughes

Hronek

Soucy 

Myers

Forbort

Desharnais

Juulsen

LTIR will depend on if Bleuger can come back before season starts 

If he's ready, we can go with Aman as the 12F and no 13F.

https://capwages.com/teams/vancouver_canucks

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bh90 said:

Interesting that after talking about PDG and Tocc saying it'll be tough putting someone else on waivers Tocc said "unless something gets done and it's in the works"

I think PA/JR are working like crazy to trade Poolman most likely. That way we maintain flex by not going in IR and don't have to waive one of Friedman/Juulsen

Yeah it would be ideal if we can trade Poolman.

Why not a cap floor team like Columbus for a 3rd or a 4th...

Pretty sure insurance is paying his salary anyway. It wouldn't cost the club anything and they gain a pick

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Pretty sure insurance is paying his salary anyway. It wouldn't cost the club anything and they gain a pick

Pretty sure the front office is working hard to find a way to move Poolman. There have been rumours his contract isn't insured, but not sure if that has ever been proven.

If they can't trade him I think they will need to put him onto LTIR. The amount cap space we can accrue with him on IR is so minimal that it isn't worth the risk of having a reduced roster. If they can manage to trade him sometime during the season, then we should still be able to accrue quite a bit of space prior to the TDL.

One easy way to avoid losing depth guys like Aman, Juulsen and Friedman is to send Silovs down at the start of the season (he's waiver exempt). Then immediately place Poolman onto LTIR (which would give us an LTIR pool of $2.33m) and then bring Silovs back up prior to the first game. This would maximise the LTIR relief we get from Poolman.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

columbus have already been given exemption by the league they dont have to be at the cap floor at the start of the season.. i wouldn't be surprise if the league extends it for the entire seasons so teams can't use columbus as a salary dumping ground. 

People are really sleeping on Bains. He's the playmaking version of Tyler Motte. 

There's a reason he wasn't sent down at the cut and I'm glad Tocchet sees it.

Also Aman needs to not be in the NHL. Kid is good enough to defend but can't produce to save his life.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

People are really sleeping on Bains. He's the playmaking version of Tyler Motte. 

There's a reason he wasn't sent down at the cut and I'm glad Tocchet sees it.

Also Aman needs to not be in the NHL. Kid is good enough to defend but can't produce to save his life.

I think Bains will become a good bottom 6 player for us of the future. He’s got 3rd line checker written all over him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

So since they don't want to use any ltir up to accrue extra space for the tdl (My poor understanding, I may be incorrect)

Does that mean long-term injured players like Demko, Joshua and Poolman count against our 23 man roster?

LTIR and IR doesn’t accrue, it just allows a team to go over the salary cap. To my understanding, by putting those players on LTIR, it takes away from your ability to bank cap space. 

The best case scenario would be to move Poolman to a team like Washington, who is already in LTIR territory so we can begin to bank a significant amount of cap space. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we can move Poolman’s contract, by TDL we may be able to acquire a guy who’s at the $6 mil AAV range. To me, I don’t think management is satisfied with Forbort and Desharnais as our 5 and 6. Ideally, we find enough cap space to acquire a Hanifin level defender, like Vegas got last year. That moves Myers to the bottom pair and it gives us enough depth on the blue line with Forbort/Desharnais, Juulsen, Friedman, and potentially Willander come playoff time. 

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Pretty sure the front office is working hard to find a way to move Poolman. There have been rumours his contract isn't insured, but not sure if that has ever been proven.

If they can't trade him I think they will need to put him onto LTIR. The amount cap space we can accrue with him on IR is so minimal that it isn't worth the risk of having a reduced roster. If they can manage to trade him sometime during the season, then we should still be able to accrue quite a bit of space prior to the TDL.

One easy way to avoid losing depth guys like Aman, Juulsen and Friedman is to send Silovs down at the start of the season (he's waiver exempt). Then immediately place Poolman onto LTIR (which would give us an LTIR pool of $2.33m) and then bring Silovs back up prior to the first game. This would maximise the LTIR relief we get from Poolman.

That's a great point on Silovs I forgot he is waiver exempt

100% that will probably be what happens with the regular season roster

Bains, Raty, Silovs will be sent down and that way we can keep Aman, Friedman, Juulsen without risking waivers and not use LTIR in off-season

Than opening day Joshua will go on LTIR...  because once you go on LTIR you can't get moved off until you're healthy so that rules out Poolman IMO if they don't want utilize LTIR long term

Once Joshua is on LTIR Silovs gets the call back up

31 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I really want to see 

Debrusk - Petey - Sherwood and

??? - Suter - Sprong

Sprong needs to be the alpha on his line so why not surround him defensively minded players? The Bains - Suter - Sprong line was unreal vs Edmonton

Sherwood might compliment Debrusk/Petey better as he does the dirty work, crashes the crease and he's got skill too

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Columbus got an exemption on the floor so it may be the pic going the other way for futures. 

57 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Looks like the last chance for Åman and Forbort to audition to make the team before being replaced from below by Bains and Friedman/Juulsen. Both the aforementioned have been underwhelming thus far. 

Forbort will be on the team, he’s got more runway.

He was brought in for his pk ability.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Forbort will be on the team, he’s got more runway.

He was brought in for his pk ability.

I hope he improves quickly then. He’s looked very out of place and has been outplayed by Defenseman below him. Hopefully just getting used to new systems. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1