Canucks Preseason Camp: 15F 9D 3G remain in camp

Integra250

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t know if accruing cap space needs to be the be all and end all.

Like did we need Lindholm last season? Seems like he was just a replacement for Kuzmenko and has since been replaced by Debrusk.

If we can make a trade for another D man like we did with Zadorov I think we would be just as deep and wouldn’t need a deadline deal.

I myself never thought of him as a replacement for winger Kuz , I always thought signing Lindholm was a message to EP that we have our own time table, that is different from yours

Maybe EP decided he wanted to stay, or his injury made him realize he had a lot to lose as well so he signed

6 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Looks like the last chance for Åman and Forbort to audition to make the team before being replaced from below by Bains and Friedman/Juulsen. Both the aforementioned have been underwhelming thus far. 

I don't know about Bains replacing Åman... because Åman can play center or wing.

47 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes that is correct.

Correct again. But if we trade him then his LTIR goes with him.

Yes that is correct. But LTIR means you are missing a minimum of 10 games, so we wouldn't want to put Demko on LTIR unless we know that he is going to miss that time. 

If Canucks go with Demko on LTIR they are projected to be $165k below the cap limit when he returns (with this roster that assumes Joshua is healthy and Silovs is waived upon Demko's return):

Heinen Miller Boeser

DeBrusk Pettersson Sprong

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Suter Sherwood

(Aman)

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

(Friedman Juulsen)

Demko

Lankinen

Poolman - IR

Let's say this happens 30 days into the season, then the projected cap accrual by the deadline will be:

$165k x (186-30-37)/37 = $530k

Hardly worth worrying about an extra $530k cap space at the TDL

Thanks for the clarification!

I’ve got another question for you.

A friend and I were chatting and he thinks you can use both the accrued cap space + putting poolman on LTIR right at the TDL. 

For example, let’s say we have $500k accrued, right at the trade deadline we acquire a player with a $3M contract by adding poolman’s $2.5+$500k. 

But I thought you can’t use both?

17 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I don't know about Bains replacing Åman... because Åman can play center or wing.

Also even if Bains has had a better camp he’s not that much of an upgrade.

Not worth losing Aman to waivers and hurting our Center depth.

There will be injuries. Not the worst thing for Bains to start in Abby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Thanks for the clarification!

I’ve got another question for you.

A friend and I were chatting and he thinks you can use both the accrued cap space + putting poolman on LTIR right at the TDL. 

For example, let’s say we have $500k accrued, right at the trade deadline we acquire a player with a $3M contract by adding poolman’s $2.5+$500k. 

But I thought you can’t use both?

You can use both

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

A season opening roster of:

Heinen Miller Boeser

DeBrusk Pettersson Sprong

Hoglander Blueger Garland

Aman Suter Sherwood

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

Friedman Juulsen

Lankinen

Joshua - IR

Demko - IR

Poolman - IR

Has a total cap hit of 87.8m

Prior to the opening game Poolman can be placed on LTIR and Silovs (plus 1 of Raty or Bains) can be brought up from minors.

In terms of accruing cap space, having Poolman on LTIR will not give us any cap space to accrue. However, with only $90k of cap space, the accrual is less than a league minimum player by the TDL, so I don’t see the benefit in remaining out of LTIR. Move Poolman sometime in the season and his LTIR goes with him, allowing you to accrue significant space by the TDL.

Another option is to put Demko or Joshua on LTIR but that means they are out for minimum 10 games, and we obviously want them back sooner if possible. And none of us know the status or timeline for Demko and Joshua, so seems smart to keep those guys on IR.

Don't they need to be down to 23 roster spots though? With Poolman, isn't that i24

Just now, BigTramFan said:

If Suter isn't right by the opening night then even more likely we go into LTIR

And we care why? We are still winning the Cup in June 2025. So F all this doom and gloom stuff in October. And F the Oilers! F those losers. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

And we care why? We are still winning the Cup in June 2025. So F all this doom and gloom stuff in October. And F the Oilers! F those losers. 

No doom and gloom from this guy Alf. Just projecting the opening night roster. Feel free to return to your glass of Scotch. GCG!

• Cheers 1

Sounds like Sprong might have won the spot next to Petey and DeBrusk.  That’s great news. 

Forbort is already the new whipping boy, but his PK ability will keep him in the lineup to start.  Could be a shorter leash, but it’s obvious we want size on the back end and PK ability - Forbort brings both. 

• Like 1

Guessing, if Suter is out, it's an opportunity for Raty. Opening night might be something like this:

Heinen Miller Boeser

DeBrusk EP Sprong

Hoglander Raty Garland

Aman Blueger Sherwood

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

Silovs

7 hours ago, bh90 said:

I really want to see 

Debrusk - Petey - Sherwood and

??? - Suter - Sprong

Sprong needs to be the alpha on his line so why not surround him defensively minded players? The Bains - Suter - Sprong line was unreal vs Edmonton

Sherwood might compliment Debrusk/Petey better as he does the dirty work, crashes the crease and he's got skill too

Last year Hogs was at his best with Suter and playing lower. That could be a killer line Hogs - Suter - Sprong. However, I would like to see DeBrusk - Pety - Sprong as I think that would give Pety what he needs to thrive better than Sherwood

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

Watching Forbort and Desharnais and suddenly Myers doesn’t look so bad does he. I think at 3M a year we are going to enjoy what he does. 

I think those 2 will come around. New system, will take a bit to mesh.

We all really have no reason not to trust our pro scouting lately, they hit on damn near every move last year.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Guessing, if Suter is out, it's an opportunity for Raty. Opening night might be something like this:

Heinen Miller Boeser

DeBrusk EP Sprong

Hoglander Raty Garland

Aman Blueger Sherwood

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

Silovs

My only concern is if someone on the left side defence gets injured who is stepping in?

Friedman and Juulsen both play on the right side.

Akito Hirose? Is Kirill Kudryavtsev the answer? I thought he was very good during the preseason and training camp. Rick also had nothing but good things to say. 

16 minutes ago, J-23 said:

My only concern is if someone on the left side defence gets injured who is stepping in?

Friedman and Juulsen both play on the right side.

Akito Hirose? Is Kirill Kudryavtsev the answer? I thought he was very good during the preseason and training camp. Rick also had nothing but good things to say. 

What is wrong with Wolanin????

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

What is wrong with Wolanin????

Forgot about Wolanin. I would say out of everyone, I thought Kirill Kudryavtsev was the best, however the AHL development is far more important. 

Honestly, I know it's early but I am already looking at Marcus Pettersson trade proposals. 

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Agreed. It's nice if you can make it happen.

Also need to consider how much you can realistically accrue and whether it is worth all the risks to accrue it.

Currently at $90k of cap space on opening night (assuming you can maintain $90k space throughout the season) converts to being able to add $362k at the TDL. Not exactly worth worrying about.

Compare that to trading Poolman and clearing $2.5m cap space for the whole season, giving you $10m in accrued cap space at the TDL.

It doesn’t sound like much, but that $362k last year probably would’ve been the difference in us getting Mantha, Toffoli or Tanev on deadline day. What does that extra defence or depth scoring do for us in the Edmonton series? We lost by one goal. 

Plus, once Joshua’s back then one of Bains/Raty is going down. That’s another ~$900k which turns into ~3.5 million on deadline day if it’s in the first couple weeks. Once Demko’s back, Silovs is probably going down or Lankinen’s being dealt. Suddenly that $362k could as high as $5-6 million total. Now of course, guys get called up after injuries so we’re probably looking at, at most, $2-3 pragmatically speaking. But, it jumps up fast and even that “small” amount makes getting guys like Vatrano, Ferraro, or even Rasmus Andersson possible. Give yourself the chance for flexibility now, even if it looks like pennies. It will pay off in the long run