Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

Just now, Jaimito said:

At least not career ending.   Or season ending, since he's on the ice taking shots.  

Well we had early season ending last year.We didnot have starting goalie.What about this year?Yes,no,maybe

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

You dooming and glooming?

No.I am just realistic.We have back up goalie and no idea when Demko is back.Guy is more injured then not.Sooner or later we have to address that.Would be stupid to close eyes and pretend all is flower.I dont hate on him,wish him all the best.

12 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

No.I am just realistic.We have back up goalie and no idea when Demko is back.Guy is more injured then not.Sooner or later we have to address that.Would be stupid to close eyes and pretend all is flower.I dont hate on him,wish him all the best.

I never said it was flowers. I'm certainly aware of the other side.

I'm also being realistic. Demko conveyed he feels he can get back to 100%. That's great news, hearing directly from Demko himself after all this time. Incredibly positive given the uncertainty. 

What's also positive is that we don't have to rush Demko back. Especially after Silovs gave the organization the confidence last season in the playoffs. 

What's also incredibly positive is that we have Slivos, who has been thrust into high pressure scenarios for the past three years in a row at the highest levels, elevating and handling that pressure each year, culminating with two rounds of playoffs last season.

This is not a back up of similar caliber as Martin or Delia. His development has been unconventional. We're extremely fortunate.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I never said it was flowers. I'm certainly aware of the other side.

I'm also being realistic. Demko conveyed he feels he can get back to 100%. That's great news, hearing directly from Demko himself after all this time. Incredibly positive given the uncertainty. 

What's also positive is that we don't have to rush Demko back. Especially after Silovs gave the organization the confidence last season in the playoffs. 

What's also incredibly positive is that we have Slivos, who has been thrust into high pressure scenarios for the past three years in a row at the highest levels, elevating and handling that pressure each year, culminating with two rounds of playoffs last season.

This is not a back up of similar caliber as Martin or Delia. His development has been unconventional. We're extremely fortunate.

Silovs is injured too.Doesn't meter small injuries or not.It cost us cup last year.Demko need new contract.Is he going to push true pain?Overcompensate for further injuries on other place.This is not one time freak thing.I am afraid he will never be Demko we knew, again.It is sad

Interesting to see day 1 lines that stand out to me are. He said day 1 might reveal the "pairs" so let's look at below

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petey - Lek

Hoglander - Raty - Garland

Bains - Suter - Sprong

Blais - Aman - Karlsson

PDG - Sasson - Sherwood

And these I think are the pairs

Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petey

Suter - Sprong <-- this one I really like

no pair on Garland line as he pointed to Joshua - Garland so he thinsk the C can be interchangeable

based on this my guess for opening night will be

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petey - Sherwood

Bains - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Suter - Sprong

13 F - Aman

Than when Joshua's back Bains goes back to AHL. Sasson goes to AHL

Karlsson I think has outside chance and is competing vs Hogs and Sprong

Blais has outside chance too and I can see him getting a spot over Bains until Joshua is back

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lemon Face said:

Silovs is injured too.Doesn't meter small injuries or not.It cost us cup last year.Demko need new contract.Is he going to push true pain?Overcompensate for further injuries on other place.This is not one time freak thing.I am afraid he will never be Demko we knew, again.It is sad

Not worried about Silovs at all. Inflammation is much different than injury, treatable, and routinely manageable.

I'm saying it's not all doom and gloom, worse case scenario. Levels of concern, sure, but we just got good news today from Demko that he feels he can get to 100%.

This is all on the heels of Silovs taking the next step under the most extreme pressure of the playoffs.

Silovs is filling in for Demko. 

I think we're ok given the circumstances.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

Lekke is so soaking in this moment.  And I think this pairing of DPetey and Hronek is a very likely a future pairing along with Hughes and Willander.  These people in our management group like Allvin plan years in advance.  JR, PA, true visionaries of hockey in building winners. just like they did in Carolina and in Pittsburgh, they have a blueprint for success.  But above all their pro scouting have an eye for talent and their player development cut gems out of average rocks.  Watch what they do with Desharnais 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 2

How is everybody feeling?

I think we are better than the start of last year! We cannot, or I'm not anyway, counting Zadorov & Lindholm.

Presuming Demko comes good? the 2knd question, really, is if Desharnais on his natural side is better than Ian Cole on his off side?  He will, of course be bigger & add nasty side even Joshua did not offer? I do not think he will be relied on to move the puck too often, he's ability to clear it or make a first pass? With Demko will probably the barometer of whether we are a 3r place team, or taking on Edmonton for first...

Center is just as if not more solid, with experience better than ever! Wings faster, Hoglander a year better. I love that Tochet is talking about triggering our break & playing faster. Busting out for breaks, putting pressure on other teams. Which means a quick South to North pass not chip out by Sousy, Desharnais, Myers, to players like Heinen, Garland, DeBrusk.  I am drooling at Pettersson & someday, soon, Lekkerimaki.  When Hughes carries up, it takes away opposition cheating to cover a breaking wing as they also have to possible jump in to center ice to stop him. So those stretch passes should absolutely open up.

Our best three prospects in several years are from the doorstep to 1 & 1/2 years away; Willander, Lekkerimaki & D Petey. Who project to fill out our line up & style beautifully!

• Cheers 1