Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

3 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

He's playoff ready.

Dude is fighting for a NHL job.  

Internal competition is good.  Who knows when Demko will be ready and how long to get back to his Vezina level play.   

A bad start can tank their playoff chances.  It's not going to be easy.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Goose said:

Hoglander has always been a fitness freak but he looks primed to have another good year.

Exciting year for the team. Tons of competition on the wing and a contract year to take him out of RFA.  

Not sure it’s possible for a guy to have any more external motivation.

I caught some flak a few years ago during an ugly year for pointing out that we had a team with no one on an expiring contract.  Obviously pros are hyper competitive but it’s a still a business and “contract year” is a real thing.  

I’d throw a chip on a Hoggy breakout season. (Whether we can keep him around after that is another matter. 😅)

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Not counting high picks.

Benning pulled Boeser, Mccann, Demko, Hoglander, Forsling, Silovs, Gadjovich, Lind, 

MG pulled Ben Hutton, Kevin Connauton, and I guess Gaunce is kinda in the nhl ish?

The GM isn’t a scout… Get that? 
why do you write as if the GM is a scout? 

• ThereItIs 1

On 9/21/2024 at 2:26 PM, Pure961089 said:

Under Benning we all knew it was bad, but it wasn't until we brought in Rutherford did we understand just how bad it was.  Rutherford and Allvin continue to make the previous regime look like morons.  its like going from Elementary school to Harvard University.

On 9/21/2024 at 2:32 PM, Alflives said:

Still don’t understand how our owner put up with Benning/Brod for as long as he did? From Gillis (GM of the year who built winning teams) to Benning. What was our owner thinking????

I know it is time to get over the Benning era but I can't let go yet.

On the issue of "did we understand how bad it was", I am going to claim that I was one of quite a few who did know how bad it was. I have quite a few posts where I claimed that Benning was among the worst GMs in the NHL and maybe the worst. After every interview he gave I would be shaking my head, starting with right after he was hired. I could give a long list of statements he made that just made no sense. He came up through the scouting channel as a guy with a good "eye" for talent. But as analytics became more important, he was totally out of his depth, as he was with cap management and various other aspects of the GM job.

I also used to wonder why Aquillini stuck with him for so long. It is still hard to understand but one thing Aqulini has said was that he wanted to get the right guy to replace him. So he held out for a guy who had a great track record and made a big effort to get him

I don't think that argument lets Aqualini off the hook. Benning should have been fired instead of Linden. But there may be some rationality to what Aqulini was doing. Or maybe he was just drinking to kool-aid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1