Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The scrimmage was boring. Guys were coasting and hugging. Hard to watch. 

I was at the game and I'll say it was cool to connect with the team and see some of the new and young guys, but this was very lackluster and $40 was a lot for what they showed us.  They could've had 3 periods,  a shootout, some skills stuff, and/or other stuff to entertain us. It was pretty lame from an entertainment/fan energizing standpoint.

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm not pissed off. For crying out loud I went to the local arena to watch a bunch of rusty guys skate a few weeks ago. It's hockey...it's all good (OMG I'm listening to a song that just sang those very words). I'd watch them juggle pucks in a swimming pool.

It means we're getting close to the real deal. This is the countdown.

And do you really want the guys busting their asses and risking injury right before we get started? This is just more shaking off the rust and letting people in other places get to see the team. 

I'm happy to read that the powerplay is being set up to be more aggressive this year, according to Drance 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DixonWard said:

I was at the game and I'll say it was cool to connect with the team and see some of the new and young guys, but this was very lackluster and $40 was a lot for what they showed us.  They could've had 3 periods,  a shootout, some skills stuff, and/or other stuff to entertain us. It was pretty lame from an entertainment/fan energizing standpoint.

Uggg, they charged you for that? Yikes !!!

I few players I thought looked good;

Alriksson - looked big out there and had some good hands. This guy really has X-factor potential moving forward. 

Lekkerimaki - Although short sample I thought he had some good takeaways, was in good position and had some good D moments. He looks ready but can definitely cook another year too. 

kudryavstev - Not too much to say other then I thought he had some good mobility. 

D.Petey - Had some good positioning and looked strong out there. 

Hoggy - After scoring #1 on skating test I can definetely notice it out there. 

Was happy to watch. Wasn’t expecting much from 2 periods of the game where everyone’s shaking the rust and not trying to hurt each other but I still enjoyed it. I’m just super excited hockey is back even though my girlfriend isn’t excited to get back to getting zoned out again. 

6 hours ago, Canuck You said:

If Ian Cole had played in this game he would have scored 10 goals.

The poor guy gets a bad rap. It wasn't until later in the Oilers series that he looked out of position and banking shots in (to his own net)...

Quote:

“In game two, round two, he collided with Evander Kane, he cut his ankle. I believe he played with 8-10 stitches every game, it was tough to get his foot in the boot. Think about it, stitches in your ankle, you’re trying to get a foot in a boot. It’s really hard. So he had a tough time with injuries, but they loved his leadership. Over 1000 games played in the NHL. He played more playoff games than any member of the Canucks, and I’ll never forget JT Miller saying, when Ian Cole talks in the dressing room, we listen. It’s a veteran guy. They did want him back. But it just looks like as of now, it looks like he’s hitting the free agent market.”

...but, still not worth the $3M+ he was looking for, with some term.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

I don't think that argument lets Aqualini off the hook. Benning should have been fired instead of Linden. But there may be some rationality to what Aqulini was doing. Or maybe he was just drinking to kool-aid.

I agree that it was an error to keep Benning over Linden, as proven by the summer he "ran out of time" and lost Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher and Toffoli. I was surprised that Aquilini didn't fire him then and there, but Benning held on for another year and a half before Francesco acted. I do understand Aquilini's motive, though. He has said many times that all he wants is for his dad to see the Canucks win the Cup. I imagine Linden must have told him the team needed a rebuild and it would take at least five years. Francesco was counting the years and his father's age and must have asked Benning what he thought. We know that Benning didn't believe in a rebuild and said they'd compete within two to three years. That sold Francesco and Linden was off to start a fitness business, and Benning lasted barely two-and-a-half-years later. And to be fair to Aquilini, the family has always written the big cheques to spend to the cap and have invested in Hockey Hall of Fame knowledge in Rutherford, a talented rookie GM, two effective Assistant GMs, an experienced, detailed coach who is blessed with a very good team and an experienced, talented coaching staff. But, yeah, Aquililini. was drinking the Benning Koolaid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, BornMello said:

kudryavstev - Not too much to say other then I thought he had some good mobility. 

D.Petey - Had some good positioning and looked strong out there. 

D Petey did some mistakes as soon as there is pressure from a random NHLer.

Kudryavtsev was very mobile AND very poised against NHLers, takes time to get out cleanly from the D zone, and be open to get some shots. 
This guy took one of the top 3 spots with Lekki and Tolopilo.  

i would have loved to see more from Romani and Patersson. 

• Thanks 1