Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Maki won't be on opening night. I don't think he's far away, but I believe they want him playing top line minutes for a few months in Abbotsford. I won't be surprised if he's high up on the call up list for the season.

If we were healthy i would agree with you but I think he makes it with Bluegs and Josh out.

We will see !!! Can't wait for opening night 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Brisebois was on the opening night roster last season before he got injured at the end of camp. He had made the team and I would expect that to be the same this year unless his play has declined from missing most of last year. He's not flashy, but he will likely be on the team as a 7/8 guy.

He was the PDG of defensman at the start of last year. Shame that he was derailed by injury 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

With guys like Friedman, Juulsen, and Brisebois - the Forbort signing left me scratching my head a little 

Let me explain: on the left battling for 3rd pair

• Briesbois 6-2, 175 lbs
  • Friedman 5-11, 185 lbs
  • Forbort 6-4, 216 lbs

Allvin likes big players on the back end

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Let me explain: on the left battling for 3rd pair

• Briesbois 6-2, 175 lbs
  • Friedman 5-11, 185 lbs
  • Forbort 6-4, 216 lbs

Allvin likes big players on the back end

As noted by @Lemon Face as well. Point well taken. Our defense was far more imposing and sound last year with our big group than years past, so I get it. I really like Juulsen’s game and would have him above Friedman and Brisebois battling for that pivot spot. 

6 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

As noted by @Lemon Face as well. Point well taken. Our defense was far more imposing and sound last year with our big group than years past, so I get it. I really like Juulsen’s game and would have him above Friedman and Brisebois battling for that pivot spot. 

Juulsen is a physical presence on the back end and I think they like him as a 7/8 on the right.  He's 6-2, 201.

Woo is physical too at 6-0, 205

But the real add on the right was Desharnais at 6-7, 226 the bottom pair spot is his to loose imo.

I'm thinking:

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

*Up for Grabs Juulsen

*Friedman had a good camp, Briesbois, or Wolanin (who I like but I think they like his experience in Abby)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Juulsen is a physical presence on the back end and I think they like him as a 7/8 on the right.  He's 6-2, 201.

Woo is physical too at 6-0, 205

But the real add on the right was Desharnais at 6-7, 226 the bottom pair spot is his to loose imo.

I'm thinking:

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

*Up for Grabs Juulsen

*Friedman had a good camp, Briesbois, or Wolanin (who I like but I think they like his experience in Abby)

I agree

7 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I honestly think Brisebois is a dark horse for minutes this year. But I don't think he starts. Guy missed most of the year, it's going to take time for him to get back to processing the game at the speed he needs to. I really hope he has a good year this year, wherever it is.

Brisebois spent the whole training camp in Group C and did not play in the scrimmage.  I feel fairly certain that the team plans on him going back to Abby for the time being at least.  As others have said, he probably needs some playing time to, hopefully, get back to form.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hope Friedman is okay, but this is what I was talking about. There are always injuries, there will be guys who stay with the team because of that. Don't be surprised if Brisebois and Woo are here opening night.

I might not be surprised....but I'd be afraid!😬

• Haha 1

After seeing last nights game and knowing that Joshua, Blueger, and Demko are injured, this is what I think coaching staff have in mind for the opening night lineup. This is just if opening night was tomorrow based on who's played well.  

Lekkerimaki/Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Petey - Sprong/Lekkerimaki

Hoglander/Sprong/Lekkerimaki - Raty - Garland 

Sherwood - Suter - Heinen 

PDG 

Hughes - Myers 

Soucy - Hronek 

Forbort/Wolanin - Desharnais 

Friedman/Forbort/Wolanin

Silovs 

Lankinen

On 9/23/2024 at 10:17 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Jfresh had Forbort ranking in the 99th percentile for penalty killing and a respectable 79th percentile for even strength defence. For a bottom pairing dman that also has size those are some nice numbers.

Forbort was a nice surprise for me.  Size and he doesn't have bad hands either.  I'd like to see what he can do on the big club

So, who gets the old snip snip tomorrow? Just taking a stab at it but I think:

Forwards:

Klimovich, Mueller, Alriksson, Wouters and Smith

Defense:

Hirose, Felton, Pettersson (I think he needs some time in Abbotsford working on game pace)

Goal:

Tolopilo, Young

I think Kudryavtsev plays next game as does Mynio and then both are sent down.

There are going to be some really hard decisions for opening night.

I'm assuming goal for opening night will be Silovs and Lankinen with Demko on IR

If Blueger and Joshua need more time, I think the most likely guys to slot in are Raty, Bains and Sasson. I think they will send Maki down for at least 2 or 3 months to work on adapting to North America, but from what I've seen the last couple of games, the kid is really close. I think he would benefit from playing top line minutes for a  short stint. 

Defense is really hard to call but I still think Woo and Brisebois are here opening night, even if they are 7/8 guys.

20 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, who gets the old snip snip tomorrow? Just taking a stab at it but I think:

Forwards:

Klimovich, Mueller, Alriksson, Wouters and Smith

Defense:

Hirose, Felton, Pettersson (I think he needs some time in Abbotsford working on game pace)

Goal:

Tolopilo, Young

I think Kudryavtsev plays next game as does Mynio and then both are sent down.

There are going to be some really hard decisions for opening night.

I'm assuming goal for opening night will be Silovs and Lankinen with Demko on IR

If Blueger and Joshua need more time, I think the most likely guys to slot in are Raty, Bains and Sasson. I think they will send Maki down for at least 2 or 3 months to work on adapting to North America, but from what I've seen the last couple of games, the kid is really close. I think he would benefit from playing top line minutes for a  short stint. 

Defense is really hard to call but I still think Woo and Brisebois are here opening night, even if they are 7/8 guys.

Turns out they're the first players to get waived.