Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

10 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Even with Lindholm the Canucks didn't play as well as they had earlier, they were disjointed and Lindholm put a monkey wrench into the chemistry of the team. We went from a team that could roll 4 lines into a 2 line team.  Petey and Lindholm didn't jell because they're both centers. So Lindholm got Jodhua and Garland and Petey got the shaft with Mikheyev.   1 goal in 69 games?

I'd disagree. Yes there was a but of a transitory phase when he joined but he was a key player in the playoffs. Scored some big goals and gave us an advantage in face-offs.

2 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Man I still absolutely love that we picked up Debrusk, big JT Miller steal vibes with him. Huge loss for Boston imo.

I agree! He was the second highest on my list of players this offseason (I really wanted Matt Roy as a forever partner for Hughes), but Debrusk was my most sought-after forward. 

I think he's going to compliment the team very well. He plays in every situation (ES, PP, PK), is responsible defensively, has a good scoring touch, and plays physically. 

Obviously, seven years is a long time, but if he can find chemistry with Petey, $5.5M will look pretty good in a few years as the cap goes up.

26 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Here's a clip! And if people are annoyed by too many clips/twitter embeds being shared I can stop posting em. Just trying to keep it easy for people to see everything going on during camp.

Don’t stop it’s the way anyone not here can see anything keep it up! 

im not tech savvy tho so is all on you my friend!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

No change in any group so far... 

Echoed in the line rushes. Same as yesterday.

Sherwood (44) with a nice shot off the rush. I like his tenacity.

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Echoed in the line rushes. Same as yesterday.

Sherwood (44) with a nice shot off the rush. I like his tenacity.

I'm happy to see Hughes-Juulson, that can solve some issues if it's serviceable. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm happy to see Hughes-Juulson, that can solve some issues if it's serviceable. 

It would be a nice option for sure. How do you think the rest of the pairs break out?

Hughes Juulsen

XXXX Hronek

XXXX XXXX

Options:

Soucy (LD)

Myers (RD)

Desharnais (RD)

Forbort (LD)

EPD still probably needs another year stewing in the A.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

It would be a nice option for sure. How do you think the rest of the pairs break out?

Hughes Juulsen

XXXX Hronek

XXXX XXXX

Options:

Soucy (LD)

Myers (RD)

Desharnais (RD)

Forbort (LD)

EPD still probably needs another year stewing in the A.

QH-NJ/Myers

Soucy-Hronek

DF-VD/Myers/NJ

I can see us moving Myers around a bit depending on the opponent, NJ and VD likely both share some of the load. Maybe even go 7 D some nights. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

QH-NJ/Myers

Soucy-Hronek

DF-VD/Myers/NJ

I can see us moving Myers around a bit depending on the opponent, NJ and VD likely both share some of the load. Maybe even go 7 D some nights. 

I think Tocc wants to give Soucy and Desharnais a pair a fair shot and makes sense.

Myers ans Soucy are good puck movers and Deaharnais and Forbot are more defensive.

Might make more sense to do

Soucy - Desharnais

Forbot - Myers

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I think Tocc wants to give Soucy and Desharnais a pair a fair shot and makes sense.

Myers ans Soucy are good puck movers and Deaharnais and Forbot are more defensive.

Might make more sense to do

Soucy - Desharnais

Forbot - Myers

I like that too. We can finally talk about options again.

I guess that leaves juuls as 7d again tho. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I like that too. We can finally talk about options again.

I guess that leaves juuls as 7d again tho. 

He performed well as a 7d last year. Options are a beautiful thing!

Forbort also only played 35 games last year. Injuries will happen and open up slots. Soucy only had 40 games last year because of injury.

It feels so good to have depth on D. It means we can do some load management for the older guys.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Even with Lindholm the Canucks didn't play as well as they had earlier, they were disjointed and Lindholm put a monkey wrench into the chemistry of the team. We went from a team that could roll 4 lines into a 2 line team.  Petey and Lindholm didn't jell because they're both centers. So Lindholm got Jodhua and Garland and Petey got the shaft with Mikheyev.   1 goal in 69 games?

Do you have a source saying LIndholm disrupted the team's chemistry? The team seemed pretty good in the playoffs. 

He may not be worth the contract he's getting in Boston. But that sounds like sour grapes. 

28 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

He performed well as a 7d last year. Options are a beautiful thing!

Forbort also only played 35 games last year. Injuries will happen and open up slots. Soucy only had 40 games last year because of injury.

It feels so good to have depth on D. It means we can do some load management for the older guys.

Indeed.  Juulsen played 54 games as "a 7d" last season.  

• Like 1

If Sprong can improve his defensive game, he could be great alongside Petey and Debrusk, who are both defensively strong.

Heinen Miller Boeser

Debrusk Pettersson Sprong

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Suter Sherwood

That fourth line would be annoying

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integra250 said:

I'd disagree. Yes there was a but of a transitory phase when he joined but he was a key player in the playoffs. Scored some big goals and gave us an advantage in face-offs.

The formula that never worked was 3 top 2 centers.  We had that with Horvat, Petey and Miller.  It was a terribly flawed build.  When Rutherford talked about major surgery he was talking about this imbalance. But Allvin was pushed into a corner and had no choice but to go after a top 6 Centre. Why?  For Insurance. Because Petey wasn't talking and Allvin, didn't know what he was thinking.  If he was going to pull a Tkachuk.  So this is what the Canucks went into the Playoffs with, not 4 dangerous lines but 2 lines and a 3rd with Petey and nobody to play with. 

Allvin's plan A was to trade for a winger to play with Petey (beer league Kuzy and Mike weren't producing) but instead he tried playing negotiation games with management, they traded for insurance and the chemistry was never the same after the trade deadline.  Allvin was forced into plan B, trading for Lindholm.  A month later they sign Pettersson, immediately followed with rumors the Canucks were looking to trade Lindholm.  Lindholm was struggling and he couldn't get a similar return that he gave up to get him. He had lost his trade value.  The team that went into the playoff was an inferior version than the team that led the league for most of the season. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Thanks 1