Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

50 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Do you have a source saying LIndholm disrupted the team's chemistry? The team seemed pretty good in the playoffs. 

He may not be worth the contract he's getting in Boston. But that sounds like sour grapes. 

The eye test.  The Canucks were a dangerous team that came at teams in waves.  The best 3rd line  in hockey and a star winger 24 goal scorer on the 4th line. Lindholm took us back to a structure that didn't work. Not with Horvat and not with Lindholm. 3 top 2 centers never worked.  The team that was before the trade deadline was far more dangerous than the one that went into  the playoffs. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

Here's a clip! And if people are annoyed by too many clips/twitter embeds being shared I can stop posting em. Just trying to keep it easy for people to see everything going on during camp.

If anyone complains...send them to me I will give them a stern talking to.

• Like 1

I’m happy to hear training camp will be short and sweet, and not a Get Back In Shape conditioning grind, more of a go on drills to get the start for this season’s structures/systems offensively and defensively going at a high pace.

And you best be in shape if you wanna start the season on the big club!

We’ll soon see who plays with Miller and Boeser on the so called 1st line and who slots in on the other line with Pettersson and Debrusk to start the season.

For the 3rd and 4th lines we have the capables to fill the mix.

Joshua will be back, just no camp and he’ll need conditioning before returning.

It’ll be a goalie tandem as per our starting goaltender this year

1A and 1B

Go with who’s hot and healthy, keeping the other rested but not going cold.

Defence pairings are a bit of a mystery.

We’ll soon see who gets cut and who sticks….October is ‘round the corner!

Edited by Bretzky
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The eye test.  The Canucks were a dangerous team that came at teams in waves.  The best 3rd line  in hockey and a star winger 24 goal scorer on the 4th line. Lindholm took us back to a structure that didn't work. Not with Horvat and not with Lindholm. 3 top 2 centers never worked.  The team that was before the trade deadline was far more dangerous than the one that went into  the playoffs. 

So it's an opinion. Not fact. 

From Day 2 live blog in Canucks Army:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/canucks-training-camp-day-two-live-blog

"The Canucks got some actual 5v5 work in shortly afterwards, with some spirited battles taking place. Vincent Desharnais bobbled the puck a couple times while trying to successfully break it out of the zone, something we already know from his time in Edmonton was a weak spot of his game."

"Elias Pettersson drew some oo’s and aa’s from the Penticton crowd when he undressed Elias Pettersson in a battle drill, dangled out Jiri Patera, then set up Jake DeBrusk for a back door tap in on an empty net with a nifty last second backhand pass. Is EP40… back?"

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So it's an opinion. Not fact. 

I do think the team was better before Lindholm, the first half of the year they were an offensive Juggernaut while increasing defensive play.

When Tocc came to town and the emphasis was going to be on Defense, I was originally concerned we would lose our offence, But happily, I was so wrong!

Second half, what happened? well Petey. but also Lindholm.

We now lost Lindholm, and the "speedy" Lafferty and Mikalev who reportedly are in the top 95 percentile for speed in the league....

However I would perfer Boeser over speed. The hands and shot do not age, speed does.

Now we have 3 more shooters, in Debrusk, Sprong, Hienen, We are a better team than both the first and second half of last year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

From Day 2 live blog in Canucks Army:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/canucks-training-camp-day-two-live-blog

"Elias Pettersson drew some oo’s and aa’s from the Penticton crowd when he undressed Elias Pettersson in a battle drill, dangled out Jiri Patera, then set up Jake DeBrusk for a back door tap in on an empty net with a nifty last second backhand pass. Is EP40… back?"

We're all EP-fanboys, but for pros of this caliber, to get yourself undressed is just not something to go wild over!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I do think the team was better before Lindholm, the first half of the year they were an offensive Juggernaut while increasing defensive play.

When Tocc came to town and the emphasis was going to be on Defense, I was originally concerned we would lose our offence, But happily, I was so wrong!

Second half, what happened? well Petey. but also Lindholm.

We now lost Lindholm, and the "speedy" Lafferty and Mikalev who reportedly are in the top 95 percentile for speed in the league....

However I would perfer Boeser over speed. The hands and shot do not age, speed does.

Now we have 3 more shooters, in Debrusk, Sprong, Hienen, We are a better team than both the first and second half of last year.

Surely you mean the top 5th percentile (1 in 20)

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Lindholm was great in the playoffs; both offensively and defensively.  Both Lindholm and

Zadorov were brought in to make a splash in the playoffs and that's exactly what they did.

Meanwhile, your 24 goal 'star winger' only managed 2 points in the playoffs.

Your 'star winger' managed to

put up 2 points in 11 games.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Lindholm was great in the playoffs; both offensively and defensively.  Both Lindholm and

Zadorov were brought in to make a splash in the playoffs and that's exactly what they did.

Meanwhile, your 24 goal 'star winger' only managed 2 points in the playoffs.

Your 'star winger' managed to

put up 2 points in 11 games.

he was great, but at great expense to the greater team success.  He played great but the team wasn't nearly as dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

he was great, but at great expense to the greater team success.  He played great but the team wasn't nearly as dangerous. 

Nearly as dangerous as what?  Do you think the Nucks would have gone farther in the playoffs

without him?  I think it was all about the playoffs for the management and Lindholm was a big

part of their success.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Nearly as dangerous as what?  Do you think the Nucks would have gone farther in the playoffs

without him?  I think it was all about the playoffs for the management and Lindholm was a big

part of their success.

Screenshot (109).png

Yes, I do. If they had traded for a winger for Petey we would have been a better team.  They could have kept the Blue, Josh and Garly line intact and would have more balanced line combinations instead of going into the playoffs essentially a 2 line team.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Screenshot (109).png

There is always an adjustment period when newly traded player join a team; both by the new

player, as well as their linemates.  Still, the Canucks made a remarkable run in the playoffs and

part of it was because of the newly added players.  Imo, Lindstom's game helped our team to

get as far as they did and I'm not certain that the team would have been better without him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

Group A Lines:

Petey with a nice shot:

More Debrusk, Petey, and Lekk:

Tolopilo getting work:

Sherwood with some nice finish:

Sherwood looks awesome, man, he was very noticeable in the playoffs last year. He has some offensive flair for sure, 75pts in in 57 games in the AHL (2021-22), could be a late bloomer?