Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

35 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

There is always an adjustment period when newly traded player join a team; both by the new

player, as well as their linemates.  Still, the Canucks made a remarkable run in the playoffs and

part of it was because of the newly added players.  Imo, Lindstom's game helped our team to

get as far as they did and I'm not certain that the team would have been better without him.

They only got Lindholm for insurance incase Petey didn't sign, it was never Plan A. Petey shot Plan A into orbit.  3 top 2 centres didn't work with Horvat and it didn't work in the playoffs. We didn't have enough quality depth on the wing to roll 3 lines nevermind 4.  I look at the New York Rangers game and the home game vs the Leafs. Our 3rd and 4th lines ate teams alive. Recency playoff bias makes people forget we were the number #1 team in the league for most of the season.  We were a shadow of that dominant team in the playoffs.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

They only got Lindholm for insurance incase Petey didn't sign, it was never Plan A. Petey shot Plan A into orbit.  3 top 2 centres didn't work with Horvat and it didn't work in the playoffs. We didn't have enough quality depth on the wing to roll 3 lines nevermind 4.  I look at the New York Rangers game and the home game vs the Leafs. Our 3rd and 4th lines ate teams alive. Recency playoff bias makes people forget we were the number #1 team in the league for most of the season.  We were a shadow of that dominant team in the playoffs.  

The Canucks were great in the playoffs; especially considering their #1 goalie went down after the 1st

game.  I think you are making an assumption about the Petey situation.  I don't think that Petey ever

wanted to sign elsewhere.  Imo the management simply wanted a right shot C for the playoffs.

I think I will just agree to disagree with your point of view. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Canucks were great in the playoffs; especially considering their #1 goalie went down after the 1st

game.  I think you are making an assumption about the Petey situation.  I don't think that Petey ever

wanted to sign elsewhere.  Imo the management simply wanted a right shot C for the playoffs.

I think I will just agree to disagree with your point of view. 

they had 2 good lines and a great defensive structured system that helped out Silovs, but he played great considering the circumstances.  Our big Defence Zadorov, Soucy and Myers in particular were the unsung heroes in the playoffs, they were the wall in front of Silovs.  And signing Petey was always Plan A for management, nobody wanted him gone and I'm not assuming he wanted out. But in his own admissions Petey didn't want to "show all his cards" which is fine but it put Allvin in a tough spot. I wonder if Allvin could have traded for a guy like Guentzel we could have kept the 3rd line together and had a strong winger for Petey.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Lindholm was great in the playoffs; both offensively and defensively.  Both Lindholm and

Zadorov were brought in to make a splash in the playoffs and that's exactly what they did.

Meanwhile, your 24 goal 'star winger' only managed 2 points in the playoffs.

Your 'star winger' managed to

put up 2 points in 11 games.

Let me unpack this if I can.  You're right about Lindholm, I've never said he was a bad player he played great in the playoffs at both ends.  It did come at a cost though, we lost the 3rd line.  I never complained about signing Zadorov but he was a depth defenceman before we got him and in 5 months Legends Foote and Gonchar molded and shaped Zadorov into a top 4 defenceman.  You heard me right. The Canucks think that too and were willing to go as far as $5 mill as well,  they just couldn't commit to a 6th year and he got that in Boston. Zadorov was a force in the playoffs, great development.    Mikheyev and Kuzy were such disappointments. Pete's revolving wingers all took a turn Lafferty, Hoglander, Karlsson even Beauvilier before the Zadorov trade, but they couldn't score consistently because they're just not top 6 wingers. not on a good team not on this team.  And yes my star winger isn't a top 6 winger but hes one of the best 4th line wingers in the league and it's players like him that are the difference between good teams and great teams.  My 24 goal scorer should never have been moved off the 4th line.  A perfect spot for him, him on the 4th line made this team special. 

How can you watch this an not love the guy?

Edited by Pure961089

3 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

Sherwood looks awesome, man, he was very noticeable in the playoffs last year. He has some offensive flair for sure, 75pts in in 57 games in the AHL (2021-22), could be a late bloomer?

Absoloutely the Kiefer signing is my favorite one.

He'll be a solid bottom 6 for us but has that sneaky potential to turn into a solid mid-6 and/or complimentary top 6 winger. He has quite a bit of skill.

Maybe he'll be our Carter Verheaghe 

• Cheers 2