Canucks Training Camp Thread - September 19-22, 2024

Integra250

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Noticed in the prospects’ games that Raty was taking faceoffs (on his offside) right handed with his stick turned over. The Empties are thinking Canucks brass are expecting Raty to fill the 3C spot. 

He’s been doing that since when he was an Islander. I pointed it out after the trade. I think he will be our 3C. If not this year then next year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Still don’t understand how our owner put up with Benning/Brod for as long as he did? From Gillis (GM of the year who built winning teams) to Benning. What was our owner thinking????

Benning was Linden's choice as GM, no?

18 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Is Lekkkerimäki's nickname officially Mak?  I assume when he's playing really well it'll be Big Mak

the french word "Le" would be the e letters pronouncination in his name and the bic mac would be not too far off from how u say the Ä in mäki...in case ur wondering. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seemingly a super nice guy though. But as a fan, who will never know these people, i’d much rather have a nasty pos (who wins as GM) than a nice guy. 
But would for certain prefer Benning as my neighbour. 

He was. Ran into him a number of times in the elevator. Used to carry two cell phones, one in each hand.

I just think sometimes he got confused and forgot who was on the other line.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He was. Ran into him a number of times in the elevator. Used to carry two cell phones, one in each hand.

I just think sometimes he got confused and forgot who was on the other line.

So when he made the trade for OEL he thought he was on the phone with the dry cleaners? Is that what you’re saying?

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “getting taken to the cleaners”…

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

Benning was Linden's choice as GM, no?

Sadly yes. To be fair, Linden wanted a proper rebuild. He was brought in for his scouting reputation. 

I'm sure if he knew Benning would cut corners, and had no idea on managing players and the salary cap, he'd probably look elsewhere.

I'm struggling to figure out was there better GM candidates out there? 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sadly yes. To be fair, Linden wanted a proper rebuild. He was brought in for his scouting reputation. 

I'm sure if he knew Benning would cut corners, and had no idea on managing players and the salary cap, he'd probably look elsewhere.

Mike Gillis. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe should have kept Luongo and put him in an elevator. 

48 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

What's the word on the street for watching the preseason games? YouTube? Hope everyone had a wicked summer! Cheers hockeys back!

The scrimmage today is being broadcast on Canucks.com (like the young stars tourney)

As for the proper preseason games, those I believe are going to be through normal channels (Sportsnet)

Scrimmage rosters were announced as well

image.thumb.png.0ac97524d1fe04c4d426174a76756c66.png

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

MG was the worst drafting GM in Canucks history. And Dale Tallon was basically the only other GM who would talk to him. He was a lame duck it was time for him to go. 

Gillis was GM for two Presidents trophies and had a club play two games for the Cup. He guided the club during its best era. 
Our owner should have allowed Gillis to rebuild, when he asked to go so, instead of firing him and hiring Jimbob. 
We do have great management again. And we are winning again. There is a definite correlation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gillis was GM for two Presidents trophies and had a club play two games for the Cup. He guided the club during its best era. 
Our owner should have allowed Gillis to rebuild, when he asked to go so, instead of firing him and hiring Jimbob. 
We do have great management again. And we are winning again. There is a definite correlation. 

Gillis didn't have the internal team to go through the talent acquisition phase.  Benning had rough luck in the draft lottery and not everything hit but the majority of guys in this core are Benning picks.  If they had been more patient and kept more picks today could have been even brighter.

25 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

The scrimmage today is being broadcast on Canucks.com (like the young stars tourney)

As for the proper preseason games, those I believe are going to be through normal channels (Sportsnet)

Scrimmage rosters were announced as well

image.thumb.png.0ac97524d1fe04c4d426174a76756c66.png

Basically Group A against Group B