The World Events Thread

Sharpshooter

I know many people here are not fans of the monarchy, but I hope we can all agree that this is sad news:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/kate-middleton-diagnosed-cancer-undergoing-chemotherapy/story?id=108392563

Kate, the Princess of Wales, was diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy, she said in a video message released on Friday, two months after she underwent "major" abdominal surgery.

The type of cancer has not been disclosed. She started chemotherapy in late February and the announcement comes as her father-in-law, King Charles, also undergoes cancer treatment.

She has three young children.....hoping for a full recovery.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I know many people here are not fans of the monarchy, but I hope we can all agree that this is sad news:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/kate-middleton-diagnosed-cancer-undergoing-chemotherapy/story?id=108392563

She has three young children.....hoping for a full recovery.

Hopefully the cancer was in early stages.  Some cancers that she could have are pretty bad.  That being said, she'll have access to the absolute best treatments and doctors for whatever cancer she does have.

• Cheers 1

Moscow now has it's own Bataclan:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/russia-moscow-concert-attack-shooting-rcna144706

What we know about the Moscow concert attack

• Men in camouflage broke into a Moscow concert hall and opened fire, shooting an unknown number of people, Russia’s prosecutor general said.
  • Russia officials said that more than 40 people are dead and more than 100 injured after the attack at Crocus City Hall.
  • A fire also started inside Crocus City Hall, a large concert venue northwest of central Moscow. Firefighters have evacuated about 100 people from the basement of the building and efforts are underway to rescue people from the roof, Russian emergency officials said.
  • Russia officials said they were investigating the attack as a terrorist act.
  • A popular rock band was scheduled to play what appeared to be a sold-out show at the venue, which has a maximum capacity of more than 9,000 people.

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Whoever was in control of the ship that hit the bridge gonna have some explaining to do.

Just now, Chickenspear said:

Captain drunk at the helm?

The ship lost power and had a flume of smoke rising from it before the impact. They issued a mayday before it struck the bridge, allowing authorities to limit the traffic passing through.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 112 said:

The ship lost power and had a flume of smoke rising from it before the impact. They issued a mayday before it struck the bridge, allowing authorities to limit the traffic passing through.

Still going to have explain.

Was the issue a freak occurrence?  Or was there maintenance issues that were being ignored or improperly repaired?

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🕵️‍♀️

(as well, isn't Andy the person charged with being a pimp in Romania?)

Of course conspiracy morons gonna push conspiracy theories about this.

That being said, the maintenance records of the ship in question are going to be looked at thoroughly.

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Still going to have explain.

Was the issue a freak occurrence?  Or was there maintenance issues that were being ignored or improperly repaired?

Oh for sure--there needs to be an investigation. Catastrophic failures like this don't just happen.  I'm just saying that early information doesn't implicate the person navigating.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, 112 said:

Oh for sure--there needs to be an investigation. Catastrophic failures like this don't just happen.  I'm just saying that early information doesn't implicate the person navigating.

Yes they do. Failures can happen even with proper maintenance and procedures being followed to a tee.

There's a longer video.  You can see the power malfunctioning with the lights going off and on while also causing steering problems.  When the power goes back on for the final time, the boat drifts right towards the lower base support.

I know squat about boats, but I'm surprised that there aren't built-in power redundancies for steering control.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Yes they do. Failures can happen even with proper maintenance and procedures being followed to a tee.

I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Whoever was in control of the ship that hit the bridge gonna have some explaining to do.

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Captain drunk at the helm?

Right now, it looks more like a mechanical failure. Doesn't mean that human error wasn't involved, but it's too early to tell.

What's more important is the people that were on the bridge when it happened and whether they got out of the water.....

15 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There's a longer video.  You can see the power malfunctioning with the lights going off and on while also causing steering problems.  When the power goes back on for the final time, the boat drifts right towards the lower base support.

I know squat about boats, but I'm surprised that there aren't built-in power redundancies for steering control.

There should be.  USS New Jersey (BB-62) has multiple positions to steer the battleship (I watch their YouTube channel).  Including a position at the rudder that can be manually cranked.

Commercial ships are not built like warships, and it is likely that at low speed, the lack of power to the propeller made steering an impossibility.  Without main power, the ship was effectively dead in the water.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

There should be.  USS New Jersey (BB-62) has multiple positions to steer the battleship (I watch their YouTube channel).  Including a position at the rudder that can be manually cranked.

Commercial ships are not built like warships, and it is likely that at low speed, the lack of power to the propeller made steering an impossibility.  Without main power, the ship was effectively dead in the water.

Which is why many container ships are guided by local tug boats until they're out in the open water. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this investigation

• Cheers 2

RIP to the people that were on the bridge at the time.  The likelihood is there will be several people that didn't make it if they were in their cars as they went down with the bridge.

36 minutes ago, HKSR said:

RIP to the people that were on the bridge at the time.  The likelihood is there will be several people that didn't make it if they were in their cars as they went down with the bridge.

Last thing I read on it was that they believed the vehicles that went into the water belonged to construction workers that were fixing "potholes" (I know that sounds weird for a bridge, but that's what I read) and that the vehicles were unoccupied.

The bad news is, at least 8 of those workers ended up in the water. 2 were rescued and 6 are still missing....

IIRC the height of the bridge is 185' at it's mid-point. Although we don't know what section of the bridge these workers were on, it sounds like they fell quite a distance, into very cold water. I don't have a lot of hope at this point.....

• Sad 2