Expansion on the horizon?

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm starting to wonder how much longer Canadian teams can last.

Expansion was inevitable though, there's been a lot of smoke around Atlanta and Houston for a while

Probably a while before we actually see it, but it's coming

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Expansion was inevitable though, there's been a lot of smoke around Atlanta and Houston for a while

They won't do what I'm about to (and have consistently) suggest, but if they go beyond 40 teams, they really need to bring in a relegation system.  As it stands already, there are half the league's teams on the outside looking in when playoffs roll around.  When you get to 2/3rds of the teams excluded from the playoffs, there just won't be the brand loyalty - parity or not - because on average, you'd be looking at 2 of every 3 years being out of the playoffs, and the teams will be out of that extra "player-salary-free" revenue.

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Two more teams that can offer better tax situations, wooo!

26 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

They won't do what I'm about to (and have consistently) suggest, but if they go beyond 40 teams, they really need to bring in a relegation system.  As it stands already, there are half the league's teams on the outside looking in when playoffs roll around.  When you get to 2/3rds of the teams excluded from the playoffs, there just won't be the brand loyalty - parity or not - because on average, you'd be looking at 2 of every 3 years being out of the playoffs, and the teams will be out of that extra "player-salary-free" revenue.

Idk if the NHL would do relegation, they might see that as harming the brand and value of their franchises

23 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

And the road to the Stanley Cup will only get harder and harder #forevernocup

Most players won't win cups, moreso than now

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Two more teams that can offer better tax situations, wooo!

True that

12 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Three times lucky I guess.

Sounds like the ownership and infrastructure bits would be quite different, at least a couple potential ownership groups jockeying for Atlanta 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/why-new-arena-is-complex-critical-component-to-atlantas-nhl-return/

Edited by Coconuts

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm starting to wonder how much longer Canadian teams can last.

Considering Toronto, Edmonton and Montreal are all in the top 5 of the list for earnings I would say for a long time. Vancouver is top 10 but that will go up if team continues to be good.  Only team near bottom is Ottawa. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Daly said they have a ceiling for how much they can grow.  And he said we have 7 teams in canada which is 6 more than any other league, so expect 6 more teams in the US

Edited by Iron Fist
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Daly said they have a ceiling for how much they can grow.  And he said we have 7 teams in canada which is 6 more than any other league, so expect 6 more teams in the US

They should at least throw us a bone and give Quebec a team 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They should at least throw us a bone and give Quebec a team 

Quebec city would have to increase their population or atleast have aome type of plan in motion for growth.   Second GTA team more viable.  Even if you look at Surreys future  neighborhood concept plans,  they're planning on being almost as big as calgary population wise.

16 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

He must have forgotten he was talking about hockey when he said that.

7 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Quebec city would have to increase their population or atleast have aome type of plan in motion for growth.   Second GTA team more viable.  Even if you look at Surreys future  neighborhood concept plans,  they're planning on being almost as big as calgary population wise.

Fair point, hard to see Toronto wanting another team in their area but never say never

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Idk if the NHL would do relegation, they might see that as harming the brand and value of their franchises

I agree, which is why I say they won't do what I've been suggesting.

However - what they're doing by expansion isn't necessarily helping the brand either.  They're diluting the talent pool, and possibly approaching pyramid scheme status (ie. by relying on the expansion fees from new franchises to line the pockets of owners of the existing ones).

31 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I agree, which is why I say they won't do what I've been suggesting.

However - what they're doing by expansion isn't necessarily helping the brand either.  They're diluting the talent pool, and possibly approaching pyramid scheme status (ie. by relying on the expansion fees from new franchises to line the pockets of owners of the existing ones).

I think the argument is that this typically takes care of itself over time

Hard to see the NHLPA arguing against it, just means more jobs 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I'd bet the PA would love expansion.  Still not good for the brand though.

As for it taking care of itself - looking forward to when contraction happens when teams find themselves no longer viable and no buyers out there are willing to take on their franchise.  Which do you think will fold first: one of the three "Atlanta"s (Flamers, Jets, or whoever this new team will be), or Vancouver?  :classic_ninja:

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yeah, I'd bet the PA would love expansion.  Still not good for the brand though.

As for it taking care of itself - looking forward to when contraction happens when teams find themselves no longer viable and no buyers out there are willing to take on their franchise.  Which do you think will fold first: one of the three "Atlanta"s (Flamers, Jets, or whoever this new team will be), or Vancouver?  :classic_ninja:

Struggling team shipped off to Arizona e5

35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The real problem is they're also diluting the officiating pool when the league has an obvious problem with the conduct of the refs as it is.

• ThereItIs 1

I know Houston and Atlanta are much larger media markets (#6 and #7 in the US) but if the NHL is going to do another expansion I'd really like to see Portland. Already a built-in rivalry with Seattle and also Vancouver to make a "Battle of Cascadia". Just like the Battle of Alberta boosts both Calgary and Edmonton a Battle of Cascadia could boost Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland. Not to mention Portland is also a pretty good hockey market already.

Houston would make a natural rival for Dallas, but Portland has to be a better option than Atlanta (who has already failed twice).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

He must have forgotten he was talking about hockey when he said that.

Lol they're trying to get their media rights package to come in higher stateside but they're not in enough markets there to get that kind of money.